Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Mobil 1 20-50 synthetic ok to use?
Or a No-No?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I've used it in wet clutch transmissions before and had absolutely no issues or problems.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Is Mobil 1 20-50 synthetic ok to use?
Or a No-No?
I do not believe it has the JASO spec suggested by Yamaha or for that matter most all bike manufacturers that use wet clutches
I use Mobile 4T 10w40 in my trans. It's good stuff! You can run it in your engine to, I don't because it's 10.00 a quart, I change my oil very often so I use cheaper options there, but it is made for high reving sport bikes. Good stuff.

·
Registered
867 Posts
When Jason installs my gear reduction in my trans he is putting Lucas semi syn 10w40 engine oil in,,, So I think if Jason likes it I will like it... Just saying

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I'm using 5-50 yamalube semi synthetic. if your riding in very cold conditions you might want to drop the 1st number a bit. mobil 1 makes great products

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think that as long as what you are using isn't "energy conserving" and you change it frequently you'll be fine. Depending on how and where you ride (i.e. how much you have to abuse the clutch) "frequently" could be as little as every 100 miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wally Mart sells a 15-50 Mobile 1 Racing oil. It has the added zinc that a lot of the MC oil has and does not indicate its "energy conserving". I'm planning on running that in the motor when broke in but plan to stick with a JASO MA 10-40 or 20-50 for the clutch.
The clutch uses the oil for cooling, it looks like the thicker gear oil will not bathe the plates until it gets hot.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your advice, It really does help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Right now I have regular Yamalube 15W50 in my trans, but will be switching to Motul 7100T 15W50 soon. Once I'm out of warranty (I have a 48 month extension on so total of 54 month factory warranty), will go to Motul 300V, which is about as good as it gets, just technically doesn't have the certifications because it has a blanket "exceeds all certifications" rating (which it does, but it could be used against you by manufacturers).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ive been running Rotella T5 10W-10 Synthetic in my motor and trans since new. Works great, and its affordable. Ran it in all my motos from prior years, and my diesel pick up =) its a one stop shop.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah, I wanted to use a gear oil typically used in dirt bikes with their own transmission fluid (mainly 2 stroke dirtbikes) so it's basically a JASO-MA certified gear oil and they list the equivalent weights (many were 5W30 or 10W40) but my dealer recommended against it, saying Yamaha specified regular oil for a reason, and that I should just run it. He also stated it would be easier to have just 1 kind of oil but he didn't realize I'm running 15W50 in the trans and 10W40 in the motor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yamalube guarantees against oil related breakdown for 20 years or 100000 miles. I dont know how you can possibly argue with that...

It doesnt matter if you use Yamalube conventional, semi, or full syn, they are all guaranteed the same.

Im using Yamalube conventional in engine cuz its cheap and still falls under the guarantee, but put the Yamalube full syn in the trans as I was not happy with how it shifted, I was hoping the Syn would help but its still about the same.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Have you ever tried to collect on that guarantee? I doubt there is any oil made these days used and spec'd correctly that would cause a engine failure or the specific oil would pay on a claim. I doubt anyone w/one of these machines goes over 1500miles or one season on a oil change. I'm glad there are so many choices for us to talk about, compare, keep people employed and sponsors to have run their stuff. Frankly this whole off road industry is a waste of money and something to complain about for a lot of people. I will keep building and buying what l want for as long as l can and enjoying what l am doing the people l meet and the friends l make along the way w/o telling anyone that their wasting their money on anything they buy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry you got butt hurt. I was simply stating that's an advertised guarantee. I never said it was better or worse, or a waste of money. I was just stating the guarantee.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts