Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to pick up a 2019 Sport Shift with about 3,300 miles for a really good price. I don't believe it's been abused. However, the shifting controlled by solonoids gives me pause for long-term durability.

Most of my riding is alone on mountain roads and desert. My usual vehicle is a bulletproof reliable, mildly-built 2002 Nissan Xterra 5-speed. The other is a Honda CRF250F. A standard clutch YXZ transmission has no electronics except for reverse. No sudden surprises with normal use. But if a shift solenoid fails in the Sport Shift, it's game over. Your calling for a flatbed. Unless there's something I'm not aware of.

What do you experienced Sport Shifters think?

· Registered
462 Posts
as with anything electronically controlled, it can fail. there are tons of YXZs out with many more miles that are SS.
i would bet there are substantially more 3 pedal cars with even more miles and zero issues. both my YXZs were 3 pedals and had 3k with zero clutch issues.
ive seen the shift actuators fail in 100 miles, and others at 5000 miles. if long term reliability is a must, i personally would lean 3 pedal, or get familiar with the shift actuator replacement and have a spare. i personally have never replaced one so i cannot attest to the involvement, but i would say it is very likely the #1 issue with the SS car. well, that and cooking the clutch early because new riders ride at half throttle and dont watch the green dash light.
warming them up to operating temp seems to be mandatory. ive had a ton in my shop and if they are cold you can essentially cook the clutch in 100 feet if you feather it. if you let it warm up and idle for a few minutes, its butter.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replacing a clutch wouldn't be an issue for me and is expected at a certain point. I'll have to look at a parts diagram and see how the actuators are situated. I'm scheduled to pick up the 2019 Saturday, or not. From the zillions of videos and reviews, everyone praises the updates in the 2019 vs. the older model. There's a 2016 I could get for 5 grand less. No gear reduction and it needs some cosmetic work, which I actually don't mind doing. Wasn't abused but not kept as pretty as serious owners do. Could probably even tackle the gear reduction kit if I really wanted to. But long-term the newer model with upgrades would be nice to have.

· Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
507 Posts
I beat the snot out of my SS, for the most part it has been excellent. The actuator (so far and knock on wood) has not even had so much of a hiccup that I am aware of. However doing really stupid shit could yield broken parts quick no matter what you do, but this thing seems very solid for the harsh woods/trail riding and "racing events" that I do. That said I only have 1500 miles on my SS now and I recently added a GYTR turbo kit, and the OE 1,300 mile (not modified at all) clutch started slipping the first time I went into boost in the taller gears. I still rode it out another 190 miles and 1st and 2nd were great, but 4th and 5th were slipping pretty bad if I tried to give it too much. The machine seemed really solid up to that point, and while I always tried to NOT half clutch it there were certainly times I had to. Especially when your riding buddies all have belts, and they refuse to do 5+mph everywhere they go like I need to, every once in a while one of these damn rubber band driven goofballs stops on a hill and I have to reap the consequences of some harsh clutching to come out alive (if I was already in motion and coming up on them). All said my clutch probably just had taken a beating, and the turbo kit was the straw that broke the camels back. I'd not worry about the SS at all, when it breaks (if it does) just fix it.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read and saw lots of reports that the machine is extremely reliable. My concern is the actuators failing when I'm alone and 20 miles from civilization. But the fact is there are lots of other things that could strand a person as well, like the fuel pump, which is why I have a 2-way radio and will be getting an InReach satellite communicator.

Looked at a parts list and can't even tell where the actuators are. But as long as I could change one in the field, I may just buy spares for piece of mind. Can't always plan for everything but at least trying to plan is better than not. Looks like picking up the 2019 Saturday is still a go. Thanks for posting.

· Registered
507 Posts
Read and saw lots of reports that the machine is extremely reliable. My concern is the actuators failing when I'm alone and 20 miles from civilization. But the fact is there are lots of other things that could strand a person as well, like the fuel pump, which is why I have a 2-way radio and will be getting an InReach satellite communicator.

Looked at a parts list and can't even tell where the actuators are. But as long as I could change one in the field, I may just buy spares for piece of mind. Can't always plan for everything but at least trying to plan is better than not. Looks like picking up the 2019 Saturday is still a go. Thanks for posting.
Yep, anything can leave you stranded, if something goes wrong hopefully you can limp it in even if it means burning up a clutch lol. I have yet to run into any problems with mine, but certainly there will come a day, especially considering the type of riding I do.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The owner of the 2019 I'm planning to get said he used it mostly for trails and back-roads. He said the person he bought it from was an "old guy." Probably my age. So this one's likely not been abused. I'll use it mostly for trails and desert excursions so it won't see hard use, except when my wife takes the dog to the store in it. She's excited about that and taking the grandkids for rides around the neighborhood. Yeah, you won't be seeing it in any hooligan videos anytime soon.

· Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
527 Posts
Not sure if I missed it in all the posts... But, there is a way of manually engaging the clutch in an SS so that you can return after a solenoid failure.

Was that the basis of the OPs question?

Nate

· Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
527 Posts
Yes you can. IIRC the Allen wrench is even part of the toolkit.

Its in the owners manual on how to do it. I believe you ratchet down and essentially engage the clutch then start and go.

Sorry, being a 3-pedal its never come up. But if you like I can try and look it up tomorrow.

Nate

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you wouldn't mind checking, that would be great. I'll likely be picking up the machine Saturday but don't know if a manual will come with it or not. Of course I'll get whatever I need once I know what I have and don't have. I searched for information on the SS system but couldn't find much more than marketing info and talk of how fabulous it is.

· Administrator
527 Posts
Here's the manual.

And here's the process. I know this is based on a dead battery but its pretty much the same.

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the manual.

And here's the process. I know this is based on a dead battery but its pretty much the same.

Man, hope I don't run into the problems the guys in that linked thread had.

· Registered
507 Posts
Yeah, the clutching actuator is pricey for sure. It looks like the shift actuator is about $635 new at Partzilla, so not terrible considering it doesnt seem to be hugely problematic. Also I don't know what changed over the years but looks like it has been revised a couple of times-
2017-2021: Part # B57-82450-00-00
2022: Part # B57-82450-01-00
2023: Part # B57-82450-02-00 (Currently Unavailable)

I wish I knew the difference between them, sometimes things get better (usually the case) but sometimes they get worse (cost savings). I will assume the former and probably order a spare 2023 part when it becomes available.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To be honest I'm probably overthinking it. Being a mechanic it's just in my nature to try and establish possible key failure points that might strand me in the middle of nowhere. But as everyone knows, you can't plan for everything. For those really remote trips I should probably stick with my Xterra, although it has about 228,000 more miles on it. Fantastic, low-cost, great-running, off-road explorer, though.

· Registered
507 Posts
To be honest I'm probably overthinking it. Being a mechanic it's just in my nature to try and establish possible key failure points that might strand me in the middle of nowhere. But as everyone knows, you can't plan for everything. For those really remote trips I should probably stick with my Xterra, although it has about 228,000 more miles on it. Fantastic, low-cost, great-running, off-road explorer, though.
Yeah I've been on these desolate rides too, but I'd lose zero sleep over this worry. It is when you really start modifying things that I'd become more concerned.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts