Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planing a trip to oregon dunes this coming April 19 2019. I am going to start at Florence then to Coos Bay and maybe to Winchester. My question is;

-Where should a person stay that has a 26' Class A and trailer that you can ride right from the campsite? I do not need any hook ups, if they have hook ups thats fine. I do not want to camp in an open parking lot, would prefer a more private setting (Treed)

Anyone with experince at these dunes?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I can't remember which sites at Florence but very familiar with Coos area. Riley ranch would be on the north end of the Coos Bay riding area (close to Spin reel) This area has dune access from the camp site, kinda long ride 1/2 gravel & 1/2 sand to the dunes. They have water & elec hook ups if you wanted. There's the KOA down at Hauser, they are pricey but have full hookups. The ride to the dunes is a little longer than Riley and its mainly a dirt & gravel road, cut through on a sand path, then you ride on or next to Hauser rd until you reach the gravel access road to the dunes so if you have paddles it can put some wear on the tires. Myrtle Wood Factory is in the same area but is basically a large paved parking lot, they have a short dirt path that leads right to the dunes access road, They are like $20-$25 a night. These 2 spots are in the middle of the Coos riding area. Down at the southern end you have Horsefall camping area. You can camp on the pavement or on the sand, these reservations are done online but I believe before sometime around March/April/May these areas are first come first served you'd have to check to be sure. There's another small private campground in the same area but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it, I believe they also have hook ups. All these areas are good areas for a Motorhome & trailer. All the other camping areas I would say they aren't very friendly for the larger vehicles.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I did a 35' class A with a 20" trailer at Discovery Point RV park for Winchester. PM me in March and remind me of your trip and I will meet you there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the info Dirt2dune, I will look those sites up. Hughes115 I will be leaving my place April 19th and plan on being at florence late day on the 20th and riding the 21st, that would be great if you could join up with us. My sister and brother inlaw just bought a Wildcat XX 3 day ago and they are coming with us too.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Camping at Florence with your desires -- You might want to stay at Honeyman State Park .. .. H Loop -- Sites 350-417. There are are also a few Yurts there if desired. Sand access is available only for those who camp in this loop. Dump is FREE on the way out.

Another camp spot is Driftwood 2 at Siltcoos Outlet Rd. This although is in the country -- Is a parking lot type of camping although it does have a nice bathroom/shower facility with direct dune access.

If you find a place to camp in/around Florence (And there are many) -- You will need to go/tow to one of the staging locations. The best are located on the South Jetty Road. Being your towing -- I suggest selecting the 2nd staging area -- Goose Pasture -- Drive thru and park on the East side. More secluded and more than enough room for your rigs -- My favorite area to stage.

Here is a video I put together a few years ago of the Florence area -- Both of the above locations are depicted in it.

Winchester Bay -- Home to the tallest dunes in the State. Many opportunities to camp here. I suggest for full hookups with dune access -- Discovery Point .. .. Back section as it has larger sites. Another option is Half Moon Bay with the best direct dune access.

There is a dump and water station on the North/East side of the Marina. There is a small fee for dumping and a limited of dumps per day. If closed -- Go back to Reedsport (3 miles North) and at the Northern most stoplight (Intersection of 101 and 138) Turn left and the road ends at the dump site with fresh water -- 24 hour access.

For Coos Bay -- Other than Boxcar off of the Transcontinental Highway located at the Southern end of the dunes .. .. I'm of no help as I don't care for the area to run.

Safe Travels -- Enjoy Your Trip !!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sparky for the info and vid, I'm going to look into these places more. Thanks pp13bnos for the heads up on reservations, I just went on the Honeyman site and there was only 14 sites left for the dates I wanted and I got 2 sites that are 50' Long (and I figure you can hang the back of the Moho over the stop block at the end) do you know if your allowed to park your sxs off to the side after unloading or like it says on thier site, all vehicles must be on the pavement?

·
Registered
156 Posts
For the last couple years they where extremely strict on the no vehicles in the dirt. But last year the campground host said they had relaxed on the enforcement. FWIW, the south side of the Florence dunes can be sketchy with the quicksand. Stay away from the witch's eyes, and the watch for razor backs. Also, last time we where there, the RV dump was closed. April in Oregon, can be a bit bi-polar, so bring appropriate riding gear! You'll have a blast at the different dunes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For Coos Bay, Boxcar campground has the shortest stretch to the sand. There is also availability in Hauser and Coos Bay to camp in the riding areas (unsure of the other areas,) walk through the door of your trailer and you're stepping on sand. There's pavement camping at the Myrtle Wood factory and the KOA in Hauser but it can be hard on the paddles. Spinreel campground in Lakeside has room for trailers and the dunes stretch from Lakeside to Coos Bay. I live in Coos Bay/North Bend, I'd be down to ride wont be around on that date.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Trayday, I only rode in a place that has small dunes so not sure I will really like riding dunes or not. Been watching lots of vids on you tube and it looks fun. Our plan is Florence 1st to get a taste and if we like it will probably go to Winchester, if its just ok then we'll go to coos bay just to see it and then head back north and look for places to trail ride. If we really like it and we ride Florence and Winchester then we may head to St Anothony's. Right now we just don't know if its our thing?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks Trayday, I only rode in a place that has small dunes so not sure I will really like riding dunes or not. Been watching lots of vids on you tube and it looks fun. Our plan is Florence 1st to get a taste and if we like it will probably go to Winchester, if its just ok then we'll go to coos bay just to see it and then head back north and look for places to trail ride. If we really like it and we ride Florence and Winchester then we may head to St Anothony's. Right now we just don't know if its our thing?
So you know, those riding places are a different kind of riding. I've never rode in Florence but I've heard it's pretty flat. Winchester Bay has a lot of real steep dunes and Witch's Eye's, I'm not a big fan of that riding area. Spinreel and CB has a lot of trails, flat runs and medium dunes; I'd say it's more of a playful riding area.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I think I have seen ever vid on You tube now of all 3 areas and were thinking Florence for a taste and if we like that I will definetly like bigger dunes. I bought a set RP paddle tires for the rear (pretty tame paddles) but they have a rib down the center for running hard pack (the plan is, were are also going to hit other places to ride on the way home and in a pinch I could use them to get out if I need a spare on the trail) then if I like duning I will get a good set of paddles for the rear and put these on the front) Do you guys know if your Tuorist Info Centers have maps for all the OHV riding areas?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Your Bighorns aired down will be just fine in Oregon. I know the Info center in Reedsport had OHV maps & you can also buy dune passes there as well. There is sometimes maps at the info boards when you pull into the Parking lots as well at the dune areas. Also every motorcycle dealer I've been to sell dune passes if you need them. They're $10 ea and good for 2 years.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Dirt2Dune, I don't have the stock tires anymore, removed them when it was new. I read that you need to buy a dune pass, then I came across a thing saying everyone must have an Oregon ATV licience too. I took the online course and test and got it. Where I'm from its pretty free sailing as to the rules for riding, but they are starting to look at liciencing and insurances. We do have to register all UTV's though and have a plate on them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've never had any issues with the sheriff/rangers up there but I always go up on off holiday weeks & weekends now. If you have plates you will probably be fine. We usually camp out on the sand and see the sheriff drive by in the morning & afternoon (down at Coos). They have never stopped by in the 25yrs I've been riding there. They are out in force during big events & holidays, just depends when you go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agree with D2D. The sheriff is usually just cruising or sitting and watching minding their own business. I've been pulled over in my truck by a sheriff, he said he hard time seeing my flag but turned off his lights when he got close, he didn't ask for any info when we briefly talked. When I rolled my YXZ, a park ranger helped put the machine back on it's wheels but didn't ask any questions either. Yearly Northwest parking passes are available for $30 vs paying $5 a day. They're suppose to be had when using the parking lots and facilities, I think camping in the dunes too. I bought my pass at a Yamaha dealer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
ive only been to winchester bay once and didnt have any issues with rangers even with riding my loud 250r 2 stroke lol they just cruised by camp and waved i mostly ride dumont dunes an you only have problems with rangers if your asking for it and im sure the same goes for every place dont ask for trouble and you wont get any

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got back from the dunes in Oregon, Florence was Ok, but don't think I would go there again, too small of area. Coos was Tons O Fun, Had a blast there. When we finished Coos Bay it was friday so we skipped going to Winchester (Not a big fan of crowded riding) and on Friday when we were pulling out of Coos it was filling up with rigs for the weekend. Thanks for the tips on the riding guys:very_drunk:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts