Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Overheated & Fan not working

Any insight would be appreciated. For the first time after 1480 miles my yxz’s radiator got caked with mud in WV. The crazy part is we weren’t going through mud per se just the splash water spots here and there.
The light came so I stopped and saw how how the radiator was . Waited a few and then we went to the pond and to clean it and the coolant came out the overflow . Found a squirt gun and cleaned this rock hard mud off it and had to put water in the reservoir. My group led me t the quickest route back.

So I need to flush the radiator and add new coolant. I went to do this yesterday and realized the fan isn’t coming on.

Fuse is good and tried checking the voltage to the fan but my meter wasn’t working.

Is this most likely the fan burned up? Just looking for ideas as I have been through serious mud and never had my radiator get caked up. I admit I didn’t check the coolant level before this long ride . Dumb mistake maybe it was low ...

I will relocate this later but before I spend $179 on a fan I want to be sure what the issue is.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is another inline resistor I guess you could call it for the fan..this is located on the passenger side near the front of the vehicle. This somehow also controls the fan power also. My fan would periodically not work. I was told about this replaced it and has been fine since..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is another inline resistor I guess you could call it for the fan..this is located on the passenger side near the front of the vehicle. This somehow also controls the fan power also. My fan would periodically not work. I was told about this replaced it and has been fine since..
Awesome ! Excuse my ignorance but where do I get it and what does it look like. I have limited knowledge on this .

I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Pull the plug at the fan and put 12 volts to it with a battery or a charger. If it is smoked, I'd source a used one, lots of them around from relocations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the plug at the fan and put 12 volts to it with a battery or a charger. If it is smoked, I'd source a used one, lots of them around from relocations.
So the fan started to come on very weak when I added a charger. It would start to go and then stop. Never hitting full speed .. I assume that’s blown?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hey brother, put in a request for an OEM radiator fan in the parts wanted section. A lot of guys have relocated to the rear, and may have an extra sitting in their attic (I checked, must have tossed it). Probably offer it up for next to nothing, to help a forum member out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Overheated & Fan not working

Any insight would be appreciated. For the first time after 1480 miles my yxz’s radiator got caked with mud in WV. The crazy part is we weren’t going through mud per se just the splash water spots here and there.
The light came so I stopped and saw how how the radiator was . Waited a few and then we went to the pond and to clean it and the coolant came out the overflow . Found a squirt gun and cleaned this rock hard mud off it and had to put water in the reservoir. My group led me t the quickest route back.

So I need to flush the radiator and add new coolant. I went to do this yesterday and realized the fan isn’t coming on.

Fuse is good and tried checking the voltage to the fan but my meter wasn’t working.

Is this most likely the fan burned up? Just looking for ideas as I have been through serious mud and never had my radiator get caked up. I admit I didn’t check the coolant level before this long ride . Dumb mistake maybe it was low ...

I will relocate this later but before I spend $179 on a fan I want to be sure what the issue is.

Thanks guys

The worst time that I have ever had with overheating due to clogged radiator was from WV dust. What happens is you run through a few puddles splash water on the radiator then immediately have trail dust stick to it layer after layer. Any pre '19 YXZ should have spash guards on the radiator. Found some on E-bay (hand made) that are amazing! I don't have a link but they are a must have even in "dry" conditions. Of course they would not be needed in the sand or desert.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts