Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from South Texas: had my official second ride on my 2017 yxz rss today, that I just bought. The machine only has a little over 100 miles on it. On my first official ride with my wife last weekend, I noticed the temperature readout hitting 249 degrees and the readout was flashing. We certainly weren't doing anything fast or extreme and the air temperature is 90 degrees plus this time of the year, fyi. We didn't ride very long and I didn't see any boil overs. When I got home I notice the overfill bottle was mostly dry. So I put about 16 ounces of coolant back into the bottle.

Today on my second official ride by myself, I wanted to see if the engine temp would get high again, and sure enough it did. The yxz temps stayed in the 240 degrees plus, I could hear the fan running, so apparently it works. I pulled it over by my truck, turned it off and heard boiling, gurgling, etc. and then radiator boiled over and coolant ran out of the overflow tube. Oh boy, what did I just buy, I thought, did I just buy someone elses problems? (starting to look that way)

Any ideas on correcting this hot running issue?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Maybe it was never full and overheated due to not being full. You need to fill the radiator at the cap and run it up to temp and check it again and also fill the overflow bottle. I would guess it has a leak somewhere and what you put in the overflow bottle was not enough to fill the radiator.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi from South Texas: had my official second ride on my 2017 yxz rss today, that I just bought. The machine only has a little over 100 miles on it. On my first official ride with my wife last weekend, I noticed the temperature readout hitting 249 degrees and the readout was flashing. We certainly weren't doing anything fast or extreme and the air temperature is 90 degrees plus this time of the year, fyi. We didn't ride very long and I didn't see any boil overs. When I got home I notice the overfill bottle was mostly dry. So I put about 16 ounces of coolant back into the bottle.

Today on my second official ride by myself, I wanted to see if the engine temp would get high again, and sure enough it did. The yxz temps stayed in the 240 degrees plus, I could hear the fan running, so apparently it works. I pulled it over by my truck, turned it off and heard boiling, gurgling, etc. and then radiator boiled over and coolant ran out of the overflow tube. Oh boy, what did I just buy, I thought, did I just buy someone elses problems? (starting to look that way)

sounds like a possible air bubble in the system. I posted a thread similar issues a few months ago

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree, sounds like an air bubble. I think the process for checking is in the owners manual, if not it is likely on this forum. I have a 2016 so I didn't have a temp gauge and needed to add one. When I installed the temp gauge I also installed a wire loom to override the fan, turning on the fan when I saw the temp rising fixed my overheating problems. BTW I am located and riding in central Texas.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
In my 2016 YXZ, I had to replace the radiator three times. If the fluid is low, there could be a problem with the radiator as well. Yamaha had some bad batches back in that timeframe when these machines were built.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fill the radiator. Run it and watch the temp gauge. When it gets to 210, shut it off.
Let it completely cool down and check the radiator. Keep repeating this process until the radiator remains full. Do a couple more warm up and cool down cycles. Then, fill the expansion tank to the full line and take it out for a short spin. If the temperature spikes, turn it off. Don’t let it overheat. The fan and thermostat should keep the temperature between 197-207, even on a 90 degree day.

Make sure you are using proper coolant. Plain water boils off in an engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe it was never full and overheated due to not being full. You need to fill the radiator at the cap and run it up to temp and check it again and also fill the overflow bottle. I would guess it has a leak somewhere and what you put in the overflow bottle was not enough to fill the radiator.
Before my second ride, i checked the overflow bottle and i could not see anything in it. So i put in about 12 oz of coolant and it went slightly over the full mark. Then i took off the radiator cap and added about 8 oz of coolant which brought the level a little down from the cap, about 1/4 inch. When the coolant hit about 240 things started to happen. The inside cab heat was a little borderline unbearable, if you know what I mean. No leaks that i could see or hear. Then coming back to truck I pulled the machine up on the trailer and shut it off. Then i heard the boiling, gurgling, and the upchuck thru the radiator overflow hose.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before my second ride, i checked the overflow bottle and i could not see anything in it. So i put in about 12 oz of coolant and it went slightly over the full mark. Then i took off the radiator cap and added about 8 oz of coolant which brought the level a little down from the cap, about 1/4 inch. When the coolant hit about 240 things started to happen. The inside cab heat was a little borderline unbearable, if you know what I mean. No leaks that i could see or hear. Then coming back to truck I pulled the machine up on the trailer and shut it off. Then i heard the boiling, gurgling, and the upchuck thru the radiator overflow hose.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[
Fill the radiator. Run it and watch the temp gauge. When it gets to 210, shut it off.
Let it completely cool down and check the radiator. Keep repeating this process until the radiator remains full. Do a couple more warm up and cool down cycles. Then, fill the expansion tank to the full line and take it out for a short spin. If the temperature spikes, turn it off. Don’t let it overheat. The fan and thermostat should keep the temperature between 197-207, even on a 90 degree day.

Make sure you are using proper coolant. Plain water boils off in an engine.
excellent suggestion. I will definitely do and report back. Seems too simple, but what the heck do i know.. Also, is there a way of cleaning the fins on the radiator, might that help also? I'm surprised where Yamaha located the radiator; so having said that, is there a way of protecting it from muck, mud, etc. ?

[

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, sounds like an air bubble. I think the process for checking is in the owners manual, if not it is likely on this forum. I have a 2016 so I didn't have a temp gauge and needed to add one. When I installed the temp gauge I also installed a wire loom to override the fan, turning on the fan when I saw the temp rising fixed my overheating problems. BTW I am located and riding in central Texas.
you got me wondering if my fan comes on too late, in these extreme temps? Was it difficult to install the wire switch "loom" (not sure what that is?)?

·
Registered
70 Posts
[

excellent suggestion. I will definitely do and report back. Seems too simple, but what the heck do i know.. Also, is there a way of cleaning the fins on the radiator, might that help also? I'm surprised where Yamaha located the radiator; so having said that, is there a way of protecting it from muck, mud, etc. ?

[
My radiator stays surprisingly clean down in the front. We don’t mud bog, but I certainly don’t avoid the mud. We spent 5 days at Hatfield McCoy playing in the slop, and only the bottom 1/4 of the radiator had mud in it. Still stayed at proper temperature the whole time. Blasting through some cleaner puddles cleans it out pretty good.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My radiator stays surprisingly clean down in the front. We don’t mud bog, but I certainly don’t avoid the mud. We spent 5 days at Hatfield McCoy playing in the slop, and only the bottom 1/4 of the radiator had mud in it. Still stayed at proper temperature the whole time. Blasting through some cleaner puddles cleans it out pretty good.

View attachment 118865

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow, that's impressive. I guess i got to have some confidence in Yamaha design! This is the third Yamaha I've owned, ie, 1978 650 Special shaft drive bike and PW 80 for my son, and they've always run well. Do you do anything special to clean out the radiator fins?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nope. Just spray them out, thoroughly…several times. Be careful with a pressure washer to not bend the fins since you go at it at an angle.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2017 SS. Check that the automatic fan switch is working. Mine had an intermittent problem, that we didn't discover until after installing a high capacity radiator and fan. We could never find the problem, so we added a manual switch. With the thermostat removed (another effort we tried to solve the problem), the temps are much cooler and the heat from the radiator is much less of a problem. Bleeding the engine is difficult because the coolant lines are lower than the engine and radiator. I think there’s a hose on the right side of the engine you can loosen to help burp the air out of the engine, or hang it from the front bumper.

·
Registered
74 Posts

[/QUOTE
While the engine is cool top off the radiator and leave the radiator cap off, Then go to the passenger side of the motor and on the tube going into the engine from the thermometer housing, there is a bleed screw. Open the bleed screw, be sure not to lose the copper washer on the bleed screw. Get a full flow of water, ie no more air, out of the tube then reinstall the bleed screw and copper washer. This is the only method to be sure you have all of the air out of the system. Then top off the radiator.
The problem with all YXZ is that portions of the motor cooling system are higher than the top of the radiator. You must get all of the air out of the system.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Always use us distilled water.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another issue is the back side of the rad. I would suggest hosing out the front really good, and then get a good flashlight and look at the back side of the rad. Many times you will see the back is plugged up too, thus not allowing proper airflow. I have made it a point to hosing (not pressure washing) the rad everytime I wash it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely a air bubble, they suck! Ruining my first trip out with mine I have been there myself. Process is pretty simple loosen (to bleed don't remove) the small bolt, I believe is a 8mm behind the Thermostat housing (passenger side), then open the radiator cap. run the machine without the cap and you will see the fluid level go down at 165F (when the radiator kicks in) keep filling until no more bubble appear, which will be multiple. To make your world happier, and cleaner I would suggest purchasing a no spill radiator funnel, should take 15x20 minutes. My 2017 fan pops on around 205 - 210 and holds around there. I ended up installing a Hess Override switch and just leave the fan on now 155 - 167.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts