Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody a newbie here and first post I have a question about sales tax in PA? Living in Colorado now and I'm back in Michigan doing some

business for a few days I've been checking around for prices on a new 2017 YXZ 1000R SS SE. Well a course with living in Colorado the people aren't the only

thing HIGH in Colorado! YXZ Prices! Pun intended! Best price I have found happens to be in state of PA! But the dealers I talk to there want to charge me

sales tax for a out of state purchase. Doesn't seem to be anyway around it! My sales tax where I live in Colorado is 2.9! PA is 6%. So that difference will pay

for my trip to the Keystoner state. Can anyone tell me if they are BSing me and can someone help a buddy out with some info? Thanks in advance!:eek:nthego:

·
Registered
867 Posts
I could be wrong but if you are buying from out of state there shouldn't be any sales tax until you bring it home then you have to pay your sales tax in the state that you live...

·
Registered
264 Posts
It all depends. Some states/counties require that local business charge taxes for any products sold in their state/county. The local govt does not want to lose any tax revenue, hence the requirement. I bought a teardrop a few years back and the place I bought it was charging the Wisconsin sales tax at 4.9%, when I brought it back to Texas, I had to make up the rest of the Tax that Texas charges for a total of 8.25% tax.

When I bought my YXZ, the dealer here in WA was going to charge the local rate of 9.2% where my residence is still in Texas and tax is only 8.25%. I ended up buying my YXZ in Oregon where there is no tax but if I ever title it in my home state, I will have to pay the local taxes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I live in Pa and I'm friends with the owner of a Yamaha dealership. From what he told me the DCNR requires sales tax to be charged on all sales. But you will get a Pa title in your name with your address on it. Now that can help you if you live in a state that charges you a tax every year on stuff like quads , boats etc. With the PA title you wont have to retitle it in your state unless you get tags. With the PA title you can get ins. on it . It sucks having to pay the extra tax.

What dealer are you talking about ?

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
It all depends. Some states/counties require that local business charge taxes for any products sold in their state/county. The local govt does not want to lose any tax revenue, hence the requirement. I bought a teardrop a few years back and the place I bought it was charging the Wisconsin sales tax at 4.9%, when I brought it back to Texas, I had to make up the rest of the Tax that Texas charges for a total of 8.25% tax.

When I bought my YXZ, the dealer here in WA was going to charge the local rate of 9.2% where my residence is still in Texas and tax is only 8.25%. I ended up buying my YXZ in Oregon where there is no tax but if I ever title it in my home state, I will have to pay the local taxes.
Actually if you tried to title the YXZ in Texas you wouldn't have to pay the tax difference, unless you just wanted to. You just have to pay the title fees. People buy in Oklahoma, which has no sales tax, and title in Texas with out paying tax all the time. Right or wrong it's a loop hole in the Texas sales tax.

You paid the difference on the trailer because it has to be registered.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Actually if you tried to title the YXZ in Texas you wouldn't have to pay the tax difference, unless you just wanted to. You just have to pay the title fees. People buy in Oklahoma, which has no sales tax, and title in Texas with out paying tax all the time. Right or wrong it's a loop hole in the Texas sales tax.

Really? I had no idea...I will keep that in mind when I move back in Feb. I would love not having to pay taxes when I bring it back and title it.

·
Registered
264 Posts

So, my wife just titled the car and only had to pay 33 for the title paperwork. Thanks for the tip. I don't think the DMV tried to do anything but it was good knowing this info going in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts