Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ran this combo on any of their previous SXS's?
I cant remember who the OP was, but the guy who took his to glamis on paddles mentioned something to the effect of going slow in soft sand youll be stuck because 2wd and the clutch.
Something I always go by is 2wd is for playing and 4wd is to get you out of trouble. Going with a paddle/rib setup would defeat that purpose.
So keep the nobbie on the front?
Or does someone make the front tire paddle/rib combo like sand drag trucks run?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I have run paddles on the rear only before. It works fine, just not as smooth or as fast but it does climb easier. I drive in 4x all the time when duning.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The front smoothie/rib pulls better than you would think in 4X4. The flotation and steering alone, all the time driving, is enough a reason to get rid of the knobbies. I wasn't a believer either, and I've never felt that the knobbies would've helped since. Even when stuck in 2x, and switching to 4x to get unstuck. Having said that, running knobbies up front doesn't suck, but smoothies dune better.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The front smoothie/rib pulls better than you would think in 4X4. The flotation and steering alone, all the time driving, is enough a reason to get rid of the knobbies. I wasn't a believer either, and I've never felt that the knobbies would've helped since. Even when stuck in 2x, and switching to 4x to get unstuck. Having said that, running knobbies up front doesn't suck, but smoothies dune better.
X2, good answer. You are better off with ribbed/buff smoothies than knobbies. For 2 or 4wd.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Only reasons to run hobbies on the front include only owning rear paddles or if you are in a rush and only have time to the paddles on. Dirt tires on the front work in a pinch but actually hinders you more than helps you in the sand.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The Yamaha tech release I saw said the YXZ is designed to understeer (with a throttle blip to oversteer).

Given that, which would "dune better" for the YXZ ? Buff or ribbed-buff ?

·
Registered
674 Posts
The Yamaha tech release I saw said the YXZ is designed to understeer (with a throttle blip to oversteer).

Given that, which would "dune better" for the YXZ ? Buff or ribbed-buff ?
Either will work. The biggest difference is a ribbed front smoothie will turn, and bite better. A buffed smoothie almost always pushes in turns.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i only run in 2 wd in sand and if stuck then try 4 wd , i look at it like sand rails dont have 4wd and they do fine so why slow your self down and cause front to dig in sand with 4 wd

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
One of the nice things with buffed fronts is they don't throw sand up in your face like a knobbie will. Have run knobbie front paddle rears many times though with no issue besides that and buffs do preform better as well in the sand...

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I plan on running without paddles......I have duned my SR1 without them for years, and I like being able to whip the back end around in the bowls, etc.....but when I did try paddles, I ran knobbies on the front and it worked fine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You absolutely do not want to run a "paddle style like sand drags in the front" This will bathe you in sand and throw it up everywhere into the air, trust me there is a reason nobody runs front paddles, it also rides really rough.

Smoothies up front are nice and light they help with flotation and will pull more then you think in 4x4. Ribbed tires are a little bit heavier but will bite in the corners and really do help with turning over the smoothies, they also pull in 4x4 more then you would think.

A knobby tire up front is fine too, little heavier and throw a bit more sand but you can deal with it.

Even the stock big horns aired down wouldn't be a bad play for a weekend or two. would allow for a lot of wheel spin and "drift"

As far as getting stuck with 2wd and the clutch, this will not be an issue unless you are doing something dumb that would get you stuck anyway, example parking on an up hill and dumping the clutch, coming to a stop on an up hill things like that.

I personally like to run in 2wd and keep my momentum up, drifting around corners and letting the rear get out there and have some fun. These vehicles are perfectly capable of running in 4wd all the time and inspire a much more grounded and secure feel when in 4wd.

hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I plan on running without paddles......I have duned my SR1 without them for years, and I like being able to whip the back end around in the bowls, etc.....but when I did try paddles, I ran knobbies on the front and it worked fine.
The stock Bighorns aired down are maybe not the very best for a drag race or hill shooting, but actually are really good all around sand tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ran my 2013 Can Am Xrs with just knobbies air'd down to 6 psi many time. My 1st Glamis trip with it, I was climbing China wall with no issues, on knobbies all the way around. Had a bunch of people come over and ask what mods I had. They wouldn't believe me when I told them it was show room stock, and my only mod was air'n the tires down. LOL. I now have paddles on the rear, and still run the knobs up front (only cuz I keep finding other things to spend my money on).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input yall, my thought process behind this was from my trucks, where in tough situations Im either too heavy or don't have the hp to "power out" without putting it in 4x4.
Many people have said we need to get paddles on it, and after your suggestions a set may come in the near future.
I have 176 miles in the dunes with the stock tires just aired down. And it's been doing pretty good at only 9 psi.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
The stock Bighorns aired down are maybe not the very best for a drag race or hill shooting, but actually are really good all around sand tires.
Yeah I really like running the Ceros out there....with the factory beadlocks on the YXZ, I can run them around 7 lbs and they will float really well. I don't do a ton of hillshooting, but I do bowl A LOT and do a lot of fast dune runs.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts