Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man this thing is awesome! And I haven't even got it out of 2nd!
I really like the throttle response better than any of the rzrs I've driven, and I've driven alot (used to work at a dealership)
Drove it around my block a couple times and in a field with some bumps, and up and down a few curbs, in a rzr when riding along a curb I could feel the vehicle pitched sideways, this stayed mostly level. Then I stopped to go work on a truck at a friends, and I passed the sheriff looking for me :cool:
Loved the seating position. Really like the doors being a spring loaded automotive style, opened and closed multiple times during the ride.
A couple cons:
The "console" piece behind the shifter, that covers the battery and relays was a little loose, it's only held on with 2 grommets.
And it stalled when trying to load on our new trailer. Probably from lac of experience with this new dovetail-esque trailer and I didn't get a run at it.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Congrats! Hardly wait to get mine. Please give us a detailed ride review after your first trip out!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Congrats!!! GWS............ I hope you are out getting video's today :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am currently playing with it at pismo, I'm annoyed with the supper long break in, lost a couple drags to an xp 1k and maverick keeping it under 6 grand just sucks. I keep being told by my friends to break it in how I will drive it, what's yall's opinion on that?
I will be posting pictures and more review tonight

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I am currently playing with it at pismo, I'm annoyed with the supper long break in, lost a couple drags to an xp 1k and maverick keeping it under 6 grand just sucks. I keep being told by my friends to break it in how I will drive it, what's yall's opinion on that?
I will be posting pictures and more review tonight
You know, I am also concerned about break in periods. I know some dealers say "just take it out and ride it the way you want, and change the oil at 50 hours" While others say... "no full throttle til the 10 hour mark, and then change all the fluids then!"

I am not exactly sure how I will do this... but what is Yamaha's recommended break in period

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The break in is first 10 hours is below 5300rpm then 10-20 hours is keep it under 6 something. The power band just starts to kick in around 4500. I only got 4.5 hours on it but 57 miles so I'm debating following break in further

·
Registered
64 Posts
lol..........the motors are pre ran at the factory in japan on a engine dyno.............cylinder pressures seat rings..........not putting around like an old lady going to church!.........check the vitals and go nail the bastard!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
The manufacturer recommends a proper break in for a reason.
It doesn't take long versus the time you'll own it, take your time and enjoy cruising for a little bit.
Plenty of time for racin or haulin ass.
My 2 cents worth

·
Registered
64 Posts
here ya go read this and it will shed some light onto the run it hard and seat the rings theory.....

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

I personally dont know how many motors you guys have built, but I can tell you this from years of dealing with machine shops and suppliers parts some good and some bad, motors that are assembled or machined incorrectly mostly rear their ugly heads in the first few minutes of running(most the time)...loose bores or tight bores or incorrectly machined items cause all kinds of headaches soon....yamaha motor corp runs all their motors in japan when built and ran for long enough time to start the seating of rings asap....drive it folks, drive it!!! it aint a polaris xp belt proper brake in proceedure!....lmao....now this is all personal opinion and you all know what opinions are like!...lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the biggest "break in" item(s) are the pistons? Most ATV's...SXS's and motorcycles come with cast pistons for this reason. The YXZ has forged pistons....which require...basically...heat treating for them to harden and not become brittle. Perhaps my knowledge is outdated...but wouldn't it seem a little odd for Yamaha to red line this thing at the factory with cold, new, forged pistons?

·
Registered
133 Posts
here ya go read this and it will shed some light onto the run it hard and seat the rings theory.....

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

I personally dont know how many motors you guys have built, but I can tell you this from years of dealing with machine shops and suppliers parts some good and some bad, motors that are assembled or machined incorrectly mostly rear their ugly heads in the first few minutes of running(most the time)...loose bores or tight bores or incorrectly machined items cause all kinds of headaches soon....yamaha motor corp runs all their motors in japan when built and ran for long enough time to start the seating of rings asap....drive it folks, drive it!!! it aint a polaris xp belt proper brake in proceedure!....lmao....now this is all personal opinion and you all know what opinions are like!...lol
I'm with this guy. In that link, scroll down to the picture of two pistons and read what it says. I think the majority of the reason for such an extended recommended break in is to allow you to get used to the vehicle and not wad it up in the first few hours.......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts