Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for performance info running taller tires.I live in AZ.so it would be mostly flat terrain I would be running on.Right now I have my eyes on the Rage thunders and the come in 28/30s.Thanks for any info and pics.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I immediately took off my stockers and installed 29" Big Horn 1's on mine. Same as what comes on the Poo Poo X Pee. They look great and work even better.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I put on 30x10r14 Pro Armor Crawler KGs on Hiper 14x8s all the way around. For me, the stock rear combos weighed 45.2 lbs, the stock fronts weighed 39.8 lbs, and the Crawler/Hiper combo weighed in at 52.6 lbs. The new combo measured in at 28.5" tall at 10 psi...so running a bit short. I thought this was a good thing! There is a noticeable, negative, difference in off the line acceleration and acceleration through the gears and up to top speed...except when your in that happy, 6K+ rpm range where it shits and gits. It's not terrible, but it is noticeable to me. Traction is exceptional with a soft compound and wide, aggressive lugs...I love the "look". Everybody will have to make a personal judgement call on whether "stock" type performance outweighs the benefit of greater ground clearance, longer roll-out, etc., that a larger tire offers. Power adders would help offset the effect of larger tires...off the line is, again, where I notice it most.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rsessions posted some pictures of his 28s today,I think I will go that way as well.The 30s still look bitchen!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Me too, but trying to figure out what wheel. Seems like most of the 14" wheels come in 5+2. I was hoping to gain an inch or so in width with the wheel... ??
I will have LT so not a worry for me. Get a rim that you can interchange. Hiper's. I think methods or Racelines come in 8"

·
Registered
62 Posts
I will have LT so not a worry for me. Get a rim that you can interchange. Hiper's. I think methods or Racelines come in 8"
I won't be doing LT anytime soon, but was thinking 14x7 racelines (according to the website) in 5+2 in the 4/110 bolt pattern. Am I correct in assuming this will fit the yxz all the way around?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tire 1.jpg
Running 30x10 mongrels all around. I haven't noticed a discernible difference in power between the bighorns and these at speed. Starting off from a dead stop, you can ever-so-slightly feel a loss.. though it's so small that I wouldn't even consider it compared to the benefits. I don't rock crawl, so I have no input there. No rubbing issues, I have used the full stroke of the suspension with these mounted.

Tire 2.jpg
Front wheel left, rear wheel right
Mounted on stock rims, the square tire set up is slightly more rounded up front. There is almost no difference in height. This is aired to 18 psi.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts