Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a feeling a lot of us on here have been weighing the option of buying this New to the market YXZ vs some of the other models we are all too familiar with.

I touched base on this topic in one of my last posts, so I thought I would just post up my research findings here for everyone to look over. Of course, you will have to factor in what I plan to use one for vs what you plan to use one for as well.

I plan on 40% pleasure riding and 60% endurance racing duties. I may do a GNCC of two as well, but I have a purposely built xp900 for those, so Im not sure.

I will leave off the things that are required on each car too. (ie: fire extinguisher, harnesses, lights, window nets, etc)

And, yes, I am a List making person. LOL

So my car research is:

**These prices have changed a little over the past few months too. These are the current prices I was quoted by different dealers for each car. Feel free to ask me where if you want too. I keep reading where some people are fining the xds turbos for around 18,000. I havent been able to find one for that price so I just went with the #s I know.**

2016 xp1000:
Purchase: 17,233.00
6.75 tax: 1163.23
shocks revalved: 1500.00
utv inc doors: 500.00
Aluminum roof: 400.00
Sway Bar: 400.00
STi bead locks: 550.00
Total for xp1k ready to go: 21,746.23

2016 xp1000T
Purchase: 23,233.00
6.75 tax: 1568.23
STi bead locks: 550.00
Total for xp1k ready to go: 27,651.23

2016 Xds Turbo

Purchase: 19,155.00
6.75 tax: 1292.96
Harness Bar: 150.00
CT race rod kit: 450
Gorila Axle ends: 1200.
Total for Xds ready to go: 25,047.96

2016 YXZ 1000
Purchase: 19,500.00
6.75 tax: 1316.25
Aluminum Roof: 400.00
Total for YXZ ready to go: 21,216.25

If you notice, I didnt need bead locks on the yxz or the xds... and I only needed a harness bar and axle ends on the xds too. I am not sure what "xtras" the yamaha will need yet, but I am very familiar with what needs replacing on the CanAms and the Xps from the last seasons racing with and in them.

These #s will be much different if you plan on just trail riding them too. For example you will have to figure in the Rekluse and maybe even a softer shock job on the yxz. I am not much of a Rock crawler so I am not sure what each machine will require to be ready for that use.

So, has anyone compared these machines for their intended use and came up with a neat little list too? Or Am I the only one who writes this stuff down. LOL

·
Registered
485 Posts
Great topic.

You add in the cost of a turbo (including installation cost) to the Yamaha and there is not that great of a cost difference between the pricing on the turbo models.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think even adding the Turbo to the YXZ your left with $2500 cheaper over XPT.. That's huge!

Harnesses, seats, swaybar, cage all things to think about...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure how much a turbo add is yet tho. I heard 4000 but for parts, but how much to install ??/

But, yeah, It should be right in line with the NA models and then right in line with the Turbos when yxz is Turbo'd

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping someone would post up their research on a trail machine too. Which would be adding a rekluse and shock work to the YXZ. Which means the NA xp would be a cheaper route.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You missed the alternator and extra battery for the YXZ!
Thats a good catch. A trail rider who wants a bunch of Accessories would have to figure those in too.

Surely someone will post up their Trail riding build soon.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think even adding the Turbo to the YXZ your left with $2500 cheaper over XPT.. That's huge!

Harnesses, seats, swaybar, cage all things to think about...
Yeah, I didn't include those because they will all be needed on each machine. (Plus, I already have all those items waiting to go on out next machine, but a new buyer will have to include those in his/her list)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Pretty sure your going to need to add a shock revalve pricing to the YXZ as well, never seen a factory shock perfect out of the box.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice comparison! I never broke down the numbers between similar vehicles (we went in sept 1st and ordered on the spot) but after the paperwork I figured we were a few grand cheaper otd vs a similar rzr at the same dealership.
And out of the box the yxz has full doors + roof and bead locks on the se. All would add a couple grand to a rzr.
I'll dig up my numbers from the rzr I priced out over the summer and post them next to my actual yxz purchase numbers.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty sure your going to need to add a shock revalve pricing to the YXZ as well, never seen a factory shock perfect out of the box.
That's whats so exciting about this car from a Racer's stand point! This really could be the first machine we dont have to spend 1500 to 2000 on for shock work! ("Could Be" being the operative word here)

I also know if they are good for racing, then they probably suck Bad for trail riding.

I know a gentleman on here named Groomer has already run a couple races on his oem shocks and he is still in limbo to what he will be doing. I am sure Dustin will change is around, simply because there wont be a dollar limit to a factory yamaha driver.

These are the first shocks that I know of that come with rebound clickers as well. I do believe someone said the Xds Turbo car and the Elka Wild Cat X come with Rebound, but I am not sure. And, I know the Wildcat has an extra charge for those Elkas. It will be very interesting to see if people can dial these OEM in for racing duties. I know there is a Rental Car guy on here that hates them already, but I assume he is not renting his out for racing duties. LoL

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think you need to add $1500 to any polaris car for a cage, not sure about the Yami and Can Am, but i can say from personal experience the XP cages are paper thin and unsafe for racing

·
Banned
228 Posts
winning cost money, if you want to have the best chance at winning then you cant do it cheaply, while they all have their strong and week points, I doubt anyone would do any serious racing with factory beadlock wheels, you might as well throw some tires in there too. I find it hilarious that you only need a roof to race the Yamaha, but 10k worth of parts on the other machines. the XPT is the BEST platform to start with... period. 3" internal bypass shocks that those RC2 will never be, it HAS front and rear sway bars, 3 piston calipers and huge brakes. im glad Yamaha is in it, cant wait to get mine.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
winning cost money, if you want to have the best chance at winning then you cant do it cheaply, while they all have their strong and week points, I doubt anyone would do any serious racing with factory beadlock wheels, you might as well throw some tires in there too. I find it hilarious that you only need a roof to race the Yamaha, but 10k worth of parts on the other machines. the XPT is the BEST platform to start with... period. 3" internal bypass shocks that those RC2 will never be, it HAS front and rear sway bars, 3 piston calipers and huge brakes. im glad Yamaha is in it, cant wait to get mine.
Im still not sure on some of the expense the Yamaha will be. But our first two or three races will give us a lot more idea.

As for the xp. I know exactly what it takes to put it on the box because we have done so a couple times now.
With a metal roof, solid doors, sway bar upgraded, motor mounts upgraded, bead lock wheels, 27" dirt commanders and double E suspension up grades. The rest of the safety stuff will be needed on all 3 cars. I was also going to add the flying V bar to the stock cage if I went back to the NA xp1000. Woukd also change out the helix and spider nut in the clutch. No ECU, motor or exhaust work needed. We put a car just like this one on the box 3 out of 4 races, and missed the fastest lap by .03 seconds in one of those races.
The xp1000 NA car can be made into a real race machine fairly easy.
On the CanAm and Xpt car, I am going by my competitors experience. My friend has won the last two races in his stock Xpt car. But he still had to do shock mods, plus the roof and doors too. He also runs a factory cage. He does run a race seat tho.

I was looking very seriously at the xpT. I love the stronger intenals and new clutch set up. But even those Fox need to be re built , still too much body roll when being pushed.

For the money differences between the Xpt where I needed it, and Yxz, I had to try the YXZ.

For the record, we did have a Polaris test guy show up a couple races back and he ran a stock sprung Xpt car and finished 4th. He was leading around the 1 hour mark, but when those OEM shocks started to fade, then his times started slowing down. Still an impressive showing for a stock car.

AND, yes, I want to buy something to go race. Not something to Build to go race! I have won races on stock street bikes and stock dirt bikes and even stock quads. I think it can be done in a stock sxs. (Hopefully!)

On a side note, I have kept all of the add on parts for the xp car too. Just in case we go back that direction for next season. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was hoping someone would post up their research on a trail machine too. Which would be adding a rekluse and shock work to the YXZ. Which means the NA xp would be a cheaper route.
The xp would need shock work as well. I've never owned a polaris that didn't need at least new springs from the factory.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ohhh yeah, on another side note. That same Polaris test guy showed up this last race with a stock S1000 and ran in the premeir class. Our track conditions changed half way thru because of some rain. And the driver said he had to constantly stay focused on not rolling it over. LoL. But he put that stock S1000 car on the Podium right behind Mickey Thomas and his Mystic built car !

That is also very impressive!

·
Banned
228 Posts
This is what I plan on doing with my car.

$22,600 SE
$1412 tax
$4995 turbo
$1500 shock revalve
$2000 hiper wheels and tires
$400 roof
$2000 for misc race equip.
$34,907 for mine to be race ready.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Would you guys mind throwing in where and maybe what series you race? I haven't seen much here in Ohio but I think it would be a blast.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Would you guys mind throwing in where and maybe what series you race? I haven't seen much here in Ohio but I think it would be a blast.
I will be running the utvrr series again. (UTV Rally Raid Home - UTV Rally Raid). It is a 4 hour endurance race thru a 9.5 mile course which includes woods, gravel roads, power line runs and a couple sections of the shortcuorse mixed in too. Usually 35 to 40 cars here. Their premier class allows Turbo cars too.
I will probably run a couple of the gncc series too (www.gbccracing.com). These are usially tighter and mir technical woods races. I actually love the gncc races but I probably won't run the YXZ in those to start out. We still have an xp900 set up for those narrower tracks. They do pull ton of racers tho. Usually 70+starting. CanAms have been hard to beat in that series the last couple years. No Turbos allowed here tho.
There was also a short course series on the east coast this year. Utvnationals.com I haven't heard what their plans are for next season yet.

They are extremely addicting too! Plenty of excitement and Adrenalin rushes! Plus, if you make a bad mistake, it usually ends in cosmetic ir structual damage, Not a trip to the ER with another broken Bone!! LoL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts