Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oregon dunes are a strange breed, a combination of open dunes connected by narrow sections with huge, close together woops. If you run the "comfort " setting for the woops it's too soft for the open areas. If you firm it up for that it will beat you to death in the woops. For me I think the answer is softer springs but I haven't had a chance to try out that theory yet. When I do I will post the "Oregon dunes" settings. They might not be much help for others but could help the Oregon owners. I wish Yamaha had done a better job of choosing the springs on the SE's, I think they were picked with the closed course racer in mind and not the larger group of YXZ owners. Most people do not race but ride on varied terrain.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Ok. Maybe I'll set them in the middle cause Little Sahara, Utah has all types of dunes. I'm not a hard rider but I would like to climb Sand Mountain just so my buddies and their Razors can't razz me by the campfire cause they can and I can't sorta thing

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just the way Weller Racing gave them gave them after they valved and sprung them! It's Sooooooo good!
. Could you check them and post? Pretty sure mine was on the same as I sent them. Figured they just forgot.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oregon dunes are a strange breed, a combination of open dunes connected by narrow sections with huge, close together woops. If you run the "comfort " setting for the woops it's too soft for the open areas. If you firm it up for that it will beat you to death in the woops. For me I think the answer is softer springs but I haven't had a chance to try out that theory yet. When I do I will post the "Oregon dunes" settings. They might not be much help for others but could help the Oregon owners. I wish Yamaha had done a better job of choosing the springs on the SE's, I think they were picked with the closed course racer in mind and not the larger group of YXZ owners. Most people do not race but ride on varied terrain.
I'm not sure we can have our cake and eat it too. A set up for one particular type of terrain at a certain speed is probably going to compromise the suspension's abilities traversing other types of terrain. It's like setting up an oval track car. If you want it to go faster down the straight-a-ways, it is going to hinder your cornering speeds and visa-versa.

Reactions: Zilla

·
Registered
183 Posts
X2 set up - Currently set to Fox's Agressive Recommendation settings with the exception of backing off the pre-load on the rear all the way then adding 1/2" back. This setup is OK for faster desert courses but needs substantial tuning for long sections of whoops. Best thing from this setup is the rear kick has been substantially reduced by removing pre-load in rear. Takes high speed G outs but lower speed G outs are a little harsh.

Front

HSC: 3 turns out
LSC: 3 turns out
HSR: 2 turns out
LSR: 1 turn out
Preload: stock
Crossovers: stock

Rear

HSC: 2 turns out
LSC: 1.5 turns out
HSR: .5 turns out
LSR: .5 turns out
Preload: 1/2"
Crossovers: 3 7/8"

Vendor/setup: N/A

Long Travel: N/A

Shock: X2

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I'm not sure we can have our cake and eat it too. A set up for one particular type of terrain at a certain speed is probably going to compromise the suspension's abilities traversing other types of terrain. It's like setting up an oval track car. If you want it to go faster down the straight-a-ways, it is going to hinder your cornering speeds and visa-versa.
You got it bro, I use to have a suspension set-up book with each track set-up and notes on them also, but so does all the other racers.

Once we get onto these X2's, you should get to know them well enough to be able to grab a screwdriver and boxend and do a little tune as the trail changes, while others are drinking a power-aid. That's why these valves turn both ways, your not going to hurt anything ! And if your consistently landing stupid off jumps, nobody says you have to be the same side to side, I can guarantee you your car will not scale the same side to side.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You got it bro, I use to have a suspension set-up book with each track set-up and notes on them also, but so does all the other racers.

Once we get onto these X2's, you should get to know them well enough to be able to grab a screwdriver and boxend and do a little tune as the trail changes, while others are drinking a power-aid. That's why these valves turn both ways, your not going to hurt anything ! And if your consistently landing stupid off jumps, nobody says you have to be the same side to side, I can guarantee you your car will not scale the same side to side.
That's great information to have. My OCD will steer me to matching side to side settings but I will do my best to overcome it! Lol. Because, it makes so much sense!

·
Registered
295 Posts

Good point on the side to side differences. I had the stock springs sitting on my bench and they were a tiny bit different in length, 1/8" to 1/4". Enough to possibly make a difference in feel. I've been measuring the OAL of the spring stack trying to get them the same for the most part.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I finally was able to do some shock tuning this last weekend. Taking cues from Pound Sand I opened all four HSC settings all the way. And in the rear, I also started with the LSC wide open. After several runs and changes this is what I ended up with. The car is faster across the board and I loved the Sparco Seats.

Front

HSC: All out
Crossovers: Added 3/8"
Tire size: stock
Tire pressure: 16 psi

Rear

LSC: 1.125 turns out
HSR: .875 turns out
LSR: 1 turns out
Crossovers: 4.25"
Tire pressure: 18 psi

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's very interesting. For my conditions I found the ride much better when I had more compression and less rebound. I am mostly trying to improve the ride through deep and close together sand woops as we have this in spades in the Oregon dunes. I also started with the compression out (3 turns) but ended up closer to 1 turn out for HSC in front and less than that in the rear. I did replace the rear upper tender springs and the front lower springs with softer rates than stock. I still have to check what the actual settings are as I was tweaking them and tried several different settings, I will post them later today when I have firm numbers.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I finally was able to do some shock tuning this last weekend. Taking cues from Pound Sand I opened all four HSC settings all the way. And in the rear, I also started with the LSC wide open. After several runs and changes this is what I ended up with. The car is faster across the board and I loved the Sparco Seats.

Front

Rear

I took the car to a different area today which has fairly long sections of blow sand whoops that mirror the El Paso whoop sections I had so much trouble with on my inaugural race in the XYZ. The area I was testing in last week has every kind of hump, jump, rock, sand, hardpack you can imagine but it does not have a long sustained section of whoops. I used the same setup posted above fully expecting that more adjustments would be required. Nope, the car was much better through the whoops, too. Got to hand to Pound Sand for his laymans terminology and the best place to start from.

Reactions: WAYXZ

·
Registered
46 Posts

Front

Rear

Thanks for posting!!!

Going to try changing the set up this weekend and hopefully give it a try. You mentioned you "added 3/8"" to the Front Crossovers. I assume that's from stock? If so what was your final measurement?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
46 Posts
○ FRONT
§ HS Rebound: 2 Out
§ LS Rebound: 1 Out
§ HS Comp: FULL Out
§ LS Comp: 3 Out
§ Preload: +0.5" @ 1.5"

○ REAR
§ HS Rebound: 0.5 Out
§ LS Rebound: 1.5 Out
§ HS Comp: FULL Out
§ LS Comp: 1 Out
§ Crossover: 3" 7/8" - Top of spring to bottom of crossover
§ Preload: Stock
§ NOTE:
□ Current Preload rear 2"7/8" to the spring
□ Current Crossover rear 3 1/4" to top of spring to top of crossover
□ This should work out to 3 7/8" to the bottom of the crossover, but I didn't specifically measure it

Results:
Much less chop at high speeds
Much flatter off the top of jumps/bumps
Less dive under breaking
Less body roll while turning
Much more confidence inspiring
Much harder on the skid plate (bottomed out) due to increased confidence and larger jumps

Opinions:
- These settings are 99% dialed in for a combo set up where you're not hitting bug jumps or worried about bottoming out the car
- Might benefit from 0.5 turn less LS Compression as well as 0.5 more LS Rebound in the rear
- Might benefit from less rear preload, but I'm concerned with the amount of bottom out it already has
- Not big enough spring/shock to handle this car in big air conditions
- Fiddling with the knobs has resulted in a much better handling/performing all around car through the chop, whoops, sand, turns, and small g-outs

Hope this helps some folks out there!

Cheers!

·
Registered
35 Posts

Front

Rear

I ran this setting in glamis this last weekend all i can say is wow!! its like a different car with this setting !!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for posting!!!

Going to try changing the set up this weekend and hopefully give it a try. You mentioned you "added 3/8"" to the Front Crossovers. I assume that's from stock? If so what was your final measurement?

Thanks again!
My apologies a-pex, I just now realized you had a question. Yes, I lowered the front cross-overs 3/8". Measured from the top of the top jam nut to the top of the top cross-over nut is 2.25"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Question for all on the terminology. I have the 2019 Blue YXZ and am trying to get the shocks to work better. I have moved my bump stop up a few inches on the front shocks and its so stiff, without really stuffing into a hole it wont use all the travel and the bump stop stays about an inch away from the lower spring retainer.
At this point I have all clickers turned to the softest settings and it still feels a little rough. When you guys say xxx turns out, is that from the softest position to start with?
Also, does anyone know how to find the spring rates for the 2019 shocks?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Question for all on the terminology. I have the 2019 Blue YXZ and am trying to get the shocks to work better. I have moved my bump stop up a few inches on the front shocks and its so stiff, without really stuffing into a hole it wont use all the travel and the bump stop stays about an inch away from the lower spring retainer.
At this point I have all clickers turned to the softest settings and it still feels a little rough. When you guys say xxx turns out, is that from the softest position to start with?
Also, does anyone know how to find the spring rates for the 2019 shocks?
I was provided this info from FOX for the 2019 YXZ SS SE. I am waiting for Eibach and the others to get some testing in then buy the spring set-up as they decifer what works best. I am interested in softer more compliant all round at the expense of high speed or big landings. Cant wait to get it right!

FRONT
033-16-000.5 upper 6.75X3X200
033-16-001.5 lower 14.75X3X250

REAR
033-16-002.5 upper 10.25X3.25X200
033-16-003.5 lower 15X3.25X200

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was provided this info from FOX for the 2019 YXZ SS SE. I am waiting for Eibach and the others to get some testing in then buy the spring set-up as they decifer what works best. I am interested in softer more compliant all round at the expense of high speed or big landings. Cant wait to get it right!

FRONT
033-16-000.5 upper 6.75X3X200
033-16-001.5 lower 14.75X3X250

REAR
033-16-002.5 upper 10.25X3.25X200
033-16-003.5 lower 15X3.25X200
those are pretty soft spring rates, might have to look in to re-valving the fronts.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts