Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m changing the wheels on my my 2016 to use all front wheels (OEM beadlocks) and install BFG KM3’s on all four corners I’m going with 28x10-14’s all around. At the tire store they said they were unable to get the beadlock bolts installed (too short) and that I would need to get bolts that were 1/4 inch longer. That’s 64 bolts. Is that normal? Thanks. Just wanted to get everyone’s thoughts before I hunt down 64 bolts..

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you choose a tire with a bead that is 1/4" thicker than the tire the bolt lengths were made to originally fit then it is hard to realize any other fix is possible except to get the longer bolts so they reach the wheel.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You will lose some track-width and some stability by going narrower in the rear . I had a friend do it and he didn't like it . He went with a 5-2 wheel on all four corners . You will also find that the after market Beadlock wheels accommodate the thicker beads of most aftermarket tires .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely want to go with all the same sized tires all the way around. My initial upgrades are quickly wiping out my fun money stash. Cage, luggage rack, lights, tires and communications. Hopefully by the time I need tires again I will have the funds to go with new rims too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also a trailer, helmets, registration, all filters and oil changed, spare tire, wheel and carrier rack all in the first 30 days.. I’m tapped out for a few months until I can replenish the “funds for fun”. I need a “GoFundMe” started 😂

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I understand . Try not to let the pile of stuff you bought and take off grow too much . Like the lower harness bar mount that becomes useless after you buy a real cage . Like all the stock wheels you are going to have when you get new ones .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it’s like buying a Harley, after five years the bike you bought is sitting in a pile of parts, next to the bike your riding

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
111 Posts
I've run BFG KM3's on a couple cars and in each case the bead was thicker than other tires. I don't run OEM wheels any longer on anything so this is based on experience with the bolts, when they break, how to get them out, etc...

The first was on STI wheels and I kept breaking the bolts on the bead. I had 14" wheels and 30x10x14 KM3's - Kept buying bolts and once torqued to spec they would break, I ended up torqueing to a lower spec to keep from breaking bolts. New (longer) bolts and some research led me down the path of different wheels and bead spacers. This essentially allowed the ring/bolts to sit square and not be pulled to the side while torqueing down. The guy before me had put the new tires on before I bought it and I started breaking bolts on the bead locks.

Fast forward to new wheels on that car with bead lock spacers and longer bolts - no issues, granted the diameter of the bead lock bolt grew substantially.

I'm running the same size KM3 on my YXZ (30x10x14) but have DWT wheels this time around - not a single issue but not cheap wheels either...

Either way - the KM3's have a wider bead, longer bolts at a minimum.. If one breaks, drill out with a reverse cutting drill bit and easy out. Youtube vids are plenty - watch the threads on the side of the wheel. Cutting oil is your friend and the bolt may backout with just the drill going slow.. Mfg specs on anti-sieze or not...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Raceline 30-10-14 on 5-2 backspace with maxis liberty no issues. Had same issues withSTI and sent back . Chose the raceline with liberties as I knew from friends that combo was proven . Like in the picture you have to have the right combo tire bead and rim to work right .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the details Jason. Is the spacer sold as a complete ring, or are we talking about adding washers between the ring and the rim. If it’s a ring, where can I get them. Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
raceline sells spacers for several different beadlock ring patterns and they are pretty cheap. just call em. i got 5 shipped to my door in 2 days. think they were like $10/ea, really cant remember

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
111 Posts
I have a full set for 4 wheels, maybe 5 but I think I am one spacer short (4 per wheel and I think I have 19 of them).

They are for Raceline 14" wheels (4 per wheel), all are new - I can confirm they worked with a 14" Raceline Ryno with a KM3.

Here's a pic:
1626755093510.png

14" UTV Spacer | 4 Pieces (FOR 1 WHEEL ONLY)

As Thesandaddict pointed out - they go for about $10 ea x 4 per wheel (again - type..)

I have this set gathering dust.. I'm up in Cave Creek, in Scottsdale about 3 days a week and down to Mesa to visit family now and then. Send me a message and we can connect if you'd like.
Jason

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks .. I’ll count them again today, but I’m pretty sure there are 16 bolts per wheel

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
111 Posts
These were specific to my Raceline wheels and are 1/8" thick. They are a stiff plastic, I can grab center to center on holes if your holes same #.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
111 Posts
If you hit a dead end - I have these and perhaps they can be drilled out to match the 15 bolt pattern, just need to fit width wise.. Hit me up if so..

Jason

1 - 20 of 27 Posts