Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much did you use the clutch? Hoe often in mine I've only used for taking off almost no slipping just left it grab and go and to down shift most up shift ate done without the clutch. Just trying to see what will make it go so fast.

·
Registered
47 Posts
wow. thanks captain obvious. i also use the clutch when i stop just in case you missed that one too..
I'm sorry but with this much controversey and finger-pointing-blame-game, there is no reason to assume anything and every reason to tell it exactly like it is.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Also manufacture dates of your machine would help determine if there is a build range of potentially bad clutch bits. There are enough failures known that it could be bad parts or bad design. Seems early ones are fine and later ones are not. That last part is a total guess on my part which is why I'm curious on build dates.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
What all did nate at Alba do to your machine I think I'm gonna upgrade before it ruins a trip.
He is currently working on a little upgrade kit! Keep your eyes open on here, he said he would put it on here when they have all the final details nailed down!

I am going to put it in just for the peace of mine myself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I second that! I will be doing the upgrade as well. I was out in Glamis this weekend and drove it like a little "B" I kept thinking of the clutch issues, plus I went out there by myself and didn't want to be a burden for a tow back to camp. However, the times I did open it up and pushed it, this machine handled it. The suspension worked great through the whoops, suspension was rough when driving slow on the choppy sand. Steering and control is on point. There is plenty of power to do what you need to do out in Glamis. My only negative opinion is how loud it is inside the cockpit when driving slow, but once you start to thump on that throttle and the RR's get up, this machine sounds sweet. And the shifting is unbelievable.

George g900

·
Registered
404 Posts
I won't rub salt in the wound of those who are experiencing problems as it sucks to spend money on even a new Fridge that has a failed ice maker let alone something as significant as this. However I will say from experience that there are the vast majority of people who are beating the crap out of this shifter and have not experienced even one hiccup. I most definitely fall into that category. I hope this is just bad luck of the draw. Still sorry for your troubles. For everyone else, drive it like a striped ape. It likes it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was still breaking it in. Had about 13 miles around my property...another 80+ miles in Ocitillo going through the gears and monitoring rpms on flat wash roads...then about 30 miles in glamis before it revved out and lost power. Still the whole time monitoring rpms as I wanted to get familiar with it and still treating it nicely through break in. I've never claimed to be pro driver, but I'm also not an idiot who beats up his toys. For what I was doing it should have never failed especially at 131 miles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was still breaking it in. Had about 13 miles around my property...another 80+ miles in Ocitillo going through the gears and monitoring rpms on flat wash roads...then about 30 miles in glamis before it revved out and lost power. Still the whole time monitoring rpms as I wanted to get familiar with it and still treating it nicely through break in. I've never claimed to be pro driver, but I'm also not an idiot who beats up his toys. For what I was doing it should have never failed especially at 131 miles.
Odd that you wont discuss exactly what you were doing when it failed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I didn't realize I had to give a disseratation...I was driving up the face of a dune....hit it in 3rd at the bottom....down shifted to 2nd and then eventually went to 1st to make the pull. It was after several seconds in 1st and near the top that the power went out and it all went to poo. I was not riding the clutch....I was not red lining the engine...just enjoying and testing my new vehicle. Believe me I've ran through the scenario a hundred times trying to figure out what I could have done different, because no one would have wanted to be stuck where i was stuck for 7hrs and faced with the decision of possibly having to abandon $26k in the dunes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE: Just got off phone with mechanic. Clutch had gotten super hot and a friction plate had actually broken off. He was making it sound as if the plates weren't properly engaging or disengaging (I'm not an expert on the exact internal workings of the clutch...any insight would be appreciated) Good news is that Yamaha is covering it and I should be back up and running soon.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It is very good Yamaha is covering these. But I would really like to hear if they are putting anything different in there.

I only have 6 miles on mine and it is still raining here too. (Figures). I am one of those who intended to get the Rekluse all along, but I am sure it will not be here before my next big ride. (The 14th!). I will have a couple of other cars with us so I will carry a toe strap. ( I always do anyways. LoL)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts