Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone verify if the screw that holds that secondary filter in place is to be used when installing a GYTR filter. The OEM one has a hard shell and there is a screw that holds it in place. The GYTR is like a hardened rubber and although there’s a hole there for the screw doesn’t seem like it’s meant to be used because it doesn’t sit flush against the area for the screw hole like the OEM one does. Photos attached that show the area I am referring too.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Grille Audio equipment Material property

Blue Automotive design Reflex camera Audio equipment Gadget

Automotive tire Finger Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is a hole for the screw just like the original.

Tell us again why you don't think the new one should have the screw in the same hole you took it out of the old one that the new one also has a tab with the same hoe in the same place for it.

I think unless you see something I don't it would still be used I want to believe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Everyone, I appreciate your feedback. I ended up not using the GYTR filter because I did not like the fitment. If you look at my pictures and compare the OEM one to the GYTR one you can see that the OEM one sits more recessed in the airbox. So when I attempted to put the secondary airbox cover back on and tighten the bolts I couldn't get it to sit as flush to the airbox assy as it did previously with the OEM, therefore I did not trust that it was actually fully sealed.

As far as the reason why I was questioning if that bolt was to be used was because the difference in material on the shell part of the filters. The stock one has a hard plastic shell, the GYTR has rubber like shell and is kinda squishy. So when you snug up that screw when installing the GYTR filter it just starts to squish the rubber material. Basically if you don't snug it enough there is play but if you do snug it up the rubber material starts to squish and it looks like it is going to just tear.

Anyhow, appreciate your responses.
@YumaYXZ
@danielplace
@lasco

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone, I appreciate your feedback. I ended up not using the GYTR filter because I did not like the fitment. If you look at my pictures and compare the OEM one to the GYTR one you can see that the OEM one sits more recessed in the airbox. So when I attempted to put the secondary airbox cover back on and tighten the bolts I couldn't get it to sit as flush to the airbox assy as it did previously with the OEM, therefore I did not trust that it was actually fully sealed.

As far as the reason why I was questioning if that bolt was to be used was because the difference in material on the shell part of the filters. The stock one has a hard plastic shell, the GYTR has rubber like shell and is kinda squishy. So when you snug up that screw when installing the GYTR filter it just starts to squish the rubber material. Basically if you don't snug it enough there is play but if you do snug it up the rubber material starts to squish and it looks like it is going to just tear.

Anyhow, appreciate your responses.
@YumaYXZ
@danielplace
@lasco
I see what you are saying. Is it possible that the one tab you are mentioning just holds the element in place and doesn’t need to compress? I can see how the perimeter does need to seal but what happens with the interior where the tab you referenced is.
It would be good to figure this out for the future….

Seems like you made the right choice because peace of mind is important.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts