Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The one thing I really hated about both Yxz's I've owned is the laid back seating position. I'm not a 20 year old kid cruizing around in my rice burner;) I like my seating to be way more vertical, like in my Razor. In a car I'm usually one or two clicks back from the straightest position. Well I've got too many toys and am too cheap to spend over $1500+ for a pair of seats so I came up with this quick easy fix.

You'll need 4 inch and a half 8mm by 1.25 bolts, 4 one inch 8mm by 1.25 bolts, 2 inch and a quarter by 4mm screws, 2 pieces of 5/16 pipe nipple cut to 7/8 inch long, 4 pieces of 3/4 strut cut to 2 1/4 inches long and 2 pieces of 7 inch long 3/4 inch plastic pipe.

Pop off the seat bottom and remove the 4 bolts that hold the seat in and remove the seat. Undo the top 4mm screw on the back side of the seat back that attaches it to the seat frame and put in one of the 7 inch pipes. There is a groove there the pipe will sit right in. Use one of the pipe nipples as a spacer between the seat back and seat frame where you removed the 4mm screw and install the longer 4mm screw through the pipe nipple and tighten. Put seat back in and install the 1 inch bolts in the front two seat frame holes, do not tighten. Then take 2 of the 3/4 strut pieces and place it between the rear seat mount holes and the rear seat frame holes. Install the 2 inch and a half bolts and tighten all four seat mounting bolts. Put seat bottom back on and your done.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I tried just putting taller spacers on the bottom but it made the seat bottom pitch too much. So after trying different sizes I found the 3/4 strut put the seat bottom at the angle I wanted. Then tried different sized pipe on the seat back and wound up with the 3/4. The combo is perfect for me and sooooo much better than stock!

Pic of the pipe installed in the seat back.

DSCN7958.JPG

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Stock the seat back was so much more laid back almost touching the wall now it's much more vertical giving it a bigger gap from the wall.
DSCN7966.JPG

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was in the same boat and did something similar, I made a bracket to push the back of the seat forward from the frame, basically like leaning the seat back forward but leaving the base at the same angle as stock, made a world of a difference for being able to comfortably reach the steering wheel while fully harnessed in and improved seeing over the hood a ton

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was thinking that the roll cage is what supports the back of the seat. Without the back resting up against the bar the seat frame is going to bend.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No the seat doesn't touch the roll bar it has it's own frame. If that was true all drivers side seats would be bent when you slide it forward. Both seats have the same frame just reversed for passenger and driver.

·
Registered
264 Posts
True. You have a point with drivers seat being able to adjust well ahead of the cross bar.

The rubber pads on back of my seats are always pinned against the bar and seams weak when you pull it away like it's back support frame not so strong.

·
Registered
264 Posts
At first coming from the Wolverine the seats in the YXZ felt laid back but didn't take long to get used to the laid back feeling.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I remember the first time I sat in a Yxz, the first thing I thought was "wow the angle of these seats suck." Was made even worse when I put harnesses in and was strapped back to the seat. Neck would get sore from having to hold it forward all day and made it harder to see over the front. I would actually tie my sweat top around the top of the seat to have something to rest my head against . Now when I get in my back and neck say this is awesome thank you :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too did not like the laid back seated position but all I did was cut a small piece of wood lath (aprox 1.5 square) to use as a spacer under the back seat mount, use a little longer bolt and all done. Feels much better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts