Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I wrote this up for a guy asking about my YXZ outting in the last UTVRR. After reading over it, I thought some of you guys may find it interesting, or be able to add from your experiences as well.

It's a tad long, so bare with me. :cool:

I was having a ton of fun in mine. It did take me a lap or two to figure out some things tho. Not only is shifting fun to do, it makes for a different riding experience too. At first, I was trying to keep the RPMs up high to take advantage of the power, but this led to a little more out of control feeling and also used a ton of fuel.
Another thing that is noticeably different too is the Lack of sliding. I am very used to how the AWD in the Rzrs allow the rear end to brake loose a little before the front engages. This Yxz is 4wd all the time so it doesn't drift easily at all. That took me a little time to get used to as well.
I left the shocks set the way they came. I did check and make sure they were all adjusted to the same spot tho.
It was a little too stiff to begin with, but around lap 5, it stated feeling much better. Never bottomed anywhere. I also never jumped anything either.

The biggest difference to me in this car was 4wd system tho. I learned the shifting by lap two, but I worked on learning the different grip pretty much my whole time out there. (2 hours, then my oldest son took over)

I can't say if it was any slower (yet). I followed my youngest son thru the short course track and I had to definitely take a different approach than him.

He was driving our xp900 and went on to finish 2nd overall, so he was trying pretty hard all of the time. I could tell I was not drifting near as much as in the Rzrs before I followed him, but it was very obvious when I was behind him.

I'm sure everyone on here knows you can use the drifting effect to set up your corner entrance, and then use the sliding to stay on the power thru the corner so you have a good exit speed. Well, that's exactly what Collin was doing, but with the YXZ, I was having to take a slower corner entrance (because the rear end wasn't breaking loose much at all. It would bicycle in an instant if you tried to enter the corner too hot).

This really messed with me right away...On fast sweeping corners where I would usually just slide into them and start the car spinning as soon as possible, I was now having to brake much harder and sooner to keep it on 4 wheels. At first I was very frustrated because I just knew i was having to go much slower. uggggh...

BUT, I quickly learned I could hold a much tighter line thru the corners, and then power out earlier as well. And there was basically zero front end push too. She would turn in when I wanted too, and then power up quickly to the next corner. Being able to choose which gear also helped a lot. I adjusted my driving style pretty quickly to this new feeling, butt there was a few places I still "felt" like I was going slower because of it. I stressed the word Felt, because I also know it feels like you are flying when in 2wd and sliding all over the place...but when the lap times are compared, the ones ran in 4wd are always faster.

A side note too... I was running a different tire on the YXZ than I am used too as well. I tried the GBC Grim Reaper this time instead of our usual GBC Dirt Commander. Some of this lesser sliding could have been tire related as well. I can also note there was No front end push what-so-ever in the YXZ either. This could have also been the difference in tires. Track conditions weren't very slick this time out, but she turned every time I wanted her too...never one time pushed the front tires.

When we all got home, we watched both go pros from each car... You can quickly tell the Xp900 is much looser and takes a ton of sliding around to go fast. The camara in the xp also shows it is soaking up the faster sections with less bounce, but it also bottoms out in 3 places around the track. Yxz never bounced out of control, but there was deffinitely more driver movement. YXZ never bottomed out anywhere tho.

On the short course while following him, you could also see where I could take a tighter line in the corners, and being in the right gear I could real him in from corner to corner as well. I did not try and battle it out with him because I knew he was already in a battle for the lead in his class.

Now, to add another note of "difference" in cars and drivers.

My son is very quick... he has overall'd this series in a Double E suspended, stock xp1000 and now has a 2nd overall in a stock xp900 (with OEM WE shocks too). As you can imagine, he loves the loose feeling of the Rzrs. He has never been one to adjust to change very easy either... so as of right now, he really doesn't care to race the YXZ. And with me now knowing this YXZ will handle a lot different than what he is used too, he may not be a front runner right away either.

I now believe The theories I read (and heard while at the tracks) about this car not being able to keep up from corner to corner with the CVT cars is because some people are still trying to drive them like the AWD Rzrs. I do realize when racing, the driver's talent is what really constitutes to the better or worse lap times. But with a couple hours seat time in race conditions, I can also say this car is a completely different animal.

I know people love to watch the drag racing videos, I do too! But in all reality when racing, the straight line slower machine can be driven at a much faster rate. This car may take some drivers a little seat time to figure out tho.

·
Registered
167 Posts
And I bet the hard part was not following other's lines. That what I like about multi class racing, you can't just hug the bumper of the guy in front of you. You actually have to drive your own line and style.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Doesn't the lower COG make you able to turn sharper faster? I don't race, but whether in sand or on dirt, I always feel like my XP 4 1000 could tip if I don't slow way down when cutting sharp. The high COG and tippy feeling is the main thing I was hoping would be a night and day improvement?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And I bet the hard part was not following other's lines. That what I like about multi class racing, you can't just hug the bumper of the guy in front of you. You actually have to drive your own line and style.
A lot of the corners in the woods were tight and rutted so there wasn't much entrance set up needed for them. On the shortcuorse section tho, we drove entirely different lines.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
When downshifting entering a turn, are you able to break the tires when releasing the clutch to initiate a slide?
All of the sliding is not gone, it is just a lot less than the Rzr. There was a few of the faster corners I could still turn in early and slide around the apex... But it hooks up so much quicker, it took some time re-learning.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't the lower COG make you able to turn sharper faster? I don't race, but whether in sand or on dirt, I always feel like my XP 4 1000 could tip if I don't slow way down when cutting sharp. The high COG and tippy feeling is the main thing I was hoping would be a night and day improvement?
There is no Top heavy or tippy feeling to this machine. Even on the OEM shocks set exactly in the middle, the machine is very stable.
My bicycle tricks came because the tires grabbed traction a loy sooner than I expected. I was always able to counter steer out of the two wheel moments.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I felt the same way when I raced a can am. The limited slip diff and center mounted engine helped it turn so much harder than anything I'd driven before. Took some getting used to. Shortly there after I was replacing axle ends...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I felt the same way when I raced a can am. The limited slip diff and center mounted engine helped it turn so much harder than anything I'd driven before. Took some getting used to. Shortly there after I was replacing axle ends...
So your thinking the harder turning is putting more pressure on the end of the axles ? I guess that makes sense.

I went back and re-watched some of the video this evening too. The faster corners I was able to still power-slide thru... it was the slow 2nd gear corners where I just had to drive around them on the inside and then just focus on getting good shifts before the next brake marker. Seesm like this track has more 2nd gear corners than 3rd gear ones tho. lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
So your thinking the harder turning is putting more pressure on the end of the axles ? I guess that makes sense.

I went back and re-watched some of the video this evening too. The faster corners I was able to still power-slide thru... it was the slow 2nd gear corners where I just had to drive around them on the inside and then just focus on getting good shifts before the next brake marker. Seesm like this track has more 2nd gear corners than 3rd gear ones tho. lol
Yes. It's the ability to turn harder and faster puts a ton of pressure on the can am axle stub shafts. I dont think yxz is built the same tho? I'd be surprised if they made the same mistakes that can am made. I'm starting to believe that the yxz is the real McCoy.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting read. Did you have fun in the YXZ?
A lot more fun to drive for me! I can also see how some others may think it's not tho.
The pilot of the YXZ is busier for sure. In the Rzr I never really looked at the gauges, simply because they are hard to read when driving hard. I would glance over at the temp gauge a couple times a lap in the slow sections tho.

The YXZ gauges are much better placed, thus easier to read at a glance. The shift light was a great idea on their part too. I have mine set at 8 and always changed gears when it came on. Setting it at 8 tho allowed me to wait if I was mid corner and needed both hands on the wheel. And there definitely is something about shifting that brings out the driver feeling! This is by far the most fun car I have driven. You feel like a real life rally car Racer. (Even when your 18 year old son is honking the dam horn for you to get out of his way!). :)

Side note. My only real complaint thus far is gauge related. There is no Temp gauge!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We wanna watch it too:)
I used a Gopro of my son's friend...when mailed me a hard drive of the footage. We can't figure out how to download the footage from there. She will be in for thanksgiving this coming weekend tho so we should get some up.

I do have footage from my boys xp900 tho. On his fastest lap he passed two YXZs. Figured the only people on here that want to see that is yamabeast, yamastar, and kalop.
LoL

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here's some fun facts about my 4 hour race.

We started 30 cars 2 at a time and then the real battle is keeping up your momentum for 4 hours.

I started beside a good buddy who was in a NA xp1k. He was getting away from me on lap one...until he rolled over in a tight corner. I got into a great battle with an xpT car that lasted 20+ minutes. Once I got by him, he pushed me for an entire lap and a half. This car had less miles than mine, but retired early with a front diff noise. I got another xpT car who was only able to battle with me for a half lap because his overheated. Also less miles than mine and I started this race with 32 miles on the clock.
I then got passed by another NA xp1k who also rolled a couple corners later. He got his car back over and re passed me on lap 6 only to brake something in the 3rd hour. I got plain Blitzed by an xds Turbo. Passed him back a half lap later because his left rear wheel was coming off. I also passed another YXZ , who went on to finish right in front of us because my wife had given our fuel away in the litts. That's right, I pulled in and there was no gas there. I had to walk around in the pitts and borrow some. LoL
I also got passed my (2) xp900 cars. I stayed with them until the above mentioned Pitt stop. LoL
Both those cars went on to have an incredible battle that lasted for the whole 4 hours and pushed them to 2nd and 3rd overall. My son was in that battle and he had a 4 second lead on lap 5, was 14 seconds down on lap 9 and then won by 17 seconds on lap 12! Now that was a race!

I never saw the leaders, who were also putting on a close contended battle thru lap 6, when the NA xp car had a rear hub failure. They were setting the world on fire in two double E suspended xp cars. One was a 15 model NA car and the other was a stock 16 model xpT car. Worth mentioning, the NA driver was last years champion and the Turbo car pilot has won every race this year. They were absolutely flying too. Turning around the 16 minute mark. My son's best lap was a 17:05 (5th fastest lap) and mine was a 17:40

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time racing with your YXZ. I am sure once you get the suspension dialed into your liking and some more seat time you lap times will improve greatly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts