Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

Radiator Location

8K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Jdxyz 
#1 ·
Am I looking at the pictures correctly? Seems like the Radiator is located about where the firewall would be but in the center of the machine. If so, then the fan could potentially pull the air through and force it down the tunnel which may help with cab heat.

Thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
As I said before, there is no good way to do regular maintenance on this. If you splash through puddles like we all do(minus duners) then it will have to be cleaned. There is no way to divert muddy water. Hiding it in the middle of the machine just complicates things

#7 ·
I was talking to the guy at Mountain Performance about their turbo setup. I mentioned relocating the radiator to the rear because here on the east cost, it will most likely get clogged with mud when racing. He stated that the location was great and that there was no need to move it. I am still a little worried about it and will relocate any way.

Reactions: Neal3000
#8 ·
I don't think clogging will be an issue any more than the other brands, might be even better as it sits back pretty far somewhat protected. My concern would be with cleaning which I do after ever ride. Usually flush any dirt and mud back through the rad from the rear which so far looks to be impossible to do.

#11 · (Edited)
Now I think it's starting to sink in for most guys. If you can't get to it, you can't clean it, if you put guards around it, you are trapping mud against it. Front tires are going to destroy it with rocks. Is there room to move it? Seems it will have to go between the seats. Not trying to be Negative nancy here but just realistic. I like the idea of a removable screen in front of it but it won't protect it 100% Is there a way to remove the firewall to spray water back through it? This might be the first year downfall for the East coast guys. Give me one afternoon of fun and I'll bet I could boil it over

#21 ·
I don't think that will be much of a problem. But what does catch my eye is how much of the radiator sits below the top of the tire. I cant tell how many mud holes I encounter on trails that I can only see the top of my tires, for the yxz, that's going to mean that the bottom portion of the rad is going to be submersed in muddy water where that fine silt mud is going to collect and build up- no amount of gaurds or screens are going to stop that. The bottom portion will stay gunked up. However, I think it is such a huge rad, that there will be enough clean rad to keep things cool...we will see.

#14 ·
Looks like really easy to clean to me. I do a lot of mud riding and use a Radiator Genie on the Wolverine. Getting behind is very limited because of the fan shroud but easy to just flush it from the front. What's wrong with flushing it from the front? Flush with water attachment then use the air hose with the air attachment.

#15 ·
BUT WHEN YOU HIT A MUDHOLE WITH ROCKS IN IT REAL FAST. THE MUD AND ROCK SPLASH SIDEWAY FROM THE TIRES AND WILL COVER THE RADlATOR. l KNOW!!!!!!!!!! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.