Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to the Sand Sports Super Show this weekend and stopping by the Rugged Radio booth to pick up a radio and maybe intercom. I don't have much experience with the in car radios and am wondering where to mount this bad boy. I'm going to use the switch panel kit for lights, etc. Where would you guys mount a radio?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I'm heading to the Sand Sports Super Show this weekend and stopping by the Rugged Radio booth to pick up a radio and maybe intercom. I don't have much experience with the in car radios and am wondering where to mount this bad boy. I'm going to use the switch panel kit for lights, etc. Where would you guys mount a radio?
If I were installing a radio/intercom system, I would mount in it the dash opening. Then mount any switches elsewhere, maybe down in the center console or maybe a vendor will make a gauge/switch pod to fit above the dash opening where the label is now.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The section above the dash opening is a great idea for the switches...of course, the switch lights might be a little bright at night. What about mounting to the cage above the center console? Good or bad idea?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
The section above the dash opening is a great idea for the switches...of course, the switch lights might be a little bright at night. What about mounting to the cage above the center console? Good or bad idea?
I bet you could mount a few switches on the flat spot just below the parking brake in between the seats, just in front of the other small warning label sticker

·
Registered
831 Posts
My buddies who mounted their radio/intercoms out in the open were often nervous about rain and water crossings, tho they never had a problem.

I mounted my Rugged radio/com on their double-stack bracket with Velcro inside my reasonably water-tight glove box in my Teryx-4.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
My buddies who mounted their radio/intercoms out in the open were often nervous about rain and water crossings, tho they never had a problem.

I mounted my Rugged radio/com on their double-stack bracket with Velcro inside my reasonably water-tight glove box in my Teryx-4.

Only problem with the glove box is you can not make adjustment to vol or sq while driving. I like my radio & intercom to be within hand reach while strapped in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just spoke with Rugged, the will be making a mount, but they don't know when it will be available.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Desert dog said:
Only problem with the glove box is you can not make adjustment to vol or sq while driving. I like my radio & intercom to be within hand reach while strapped in.
That's my wife's job. ;)

It's close enough that I can adjust it from the driver's seat. Not as good as a mid-dash mount, but functional.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's cool we have good areas to work with anyone know if that warning label is riveted on or just a sticker be nice to have no holes from rivets

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks Desertdog,

I will remove mine also but now my custom carbon fiber blue bezel might have to cover the holes hum.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
What about mounting to the cage above the center console? Good or bad idea?
That's what I did in my buggy. VFH, CB, and Intercom are all up there bolted directly to the roof. I think it's a good place for them except that I can't find a good place to keep the mics. No matter where you hang the mic, the mic cord dangles and hits your head constantly. If you use PTT this won't be an issue.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
That's what I did in my buggy. VFH, CB, and Intercom are all up there bolted directly to the roof. I think it's a good place for them except that I can't find a good place to keep the mics. No matter where you hang the mic, the mic cord dangles and hits your head constantly. If you use PTT this won't be an issue.

What about all the power cords? Are they hidden in a box?

·
Registered
31 Posts
What about all the power cords? Are they hidden in a box?
No. They run from under the dash up the center tube and are held there with zip ties. The radios are mounted near the front of the roof with the cords tucked neatly between the radios and the cross-car tube. Let me see if I can find a picture.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My idea for a cheaper radio set up is to get a helmet kit from rugged and one of their hand helds so I also dont have to get the alt kit just yet

·
Registered
31 Posts
My idea for a cheaper radio set up is to get a helmet kit from rugged and one of their hand helds so I also dont have to get the alt kit just yet
Those are pretty popular too. But the handhelds have limited range. They make clamps to hold them on a roll cage or clips to hold them on your harness / belt.

Assuming "alt" means alternator? I believe a Vertex 50W radio only uses 2 amps so you shouldn't need the upgraded electrical system for that.

·
Registered
128 Posts

We have always mounted marine radios in our sxs's and utility quads for the trail. They biggest seller to me is they're totally water proof...but they have good transmission range and you can carry an extra hand-held for the new guy who brought his Jeep and has no radio. And...they are only around $120.00 at Cabelas.

It's not an issue for "marine" traffic here in Arizona. I don't know what issues that could pose in Oregon or Washington. I do like the intercom/radio (Bluetooth) units I have seen others suggest, though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts