Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new PCI radio. Whenever I use the push to talk button, the engine stalls.
After talking to PCI today at Glamis, all we know is that only some '20's have this problem, and there is some magnetic sensor on the car that is getting effected.
PCI turned down the antenna power to 5 watts from 50 but it still effects the engine.
I relocated the the antenna to about 5 feet behind the car, but as soon as we got the antenna to within 2 feet of the back of the cat the engine would stall.
It seems that the injectors get a signal causing them to flood out the engine.
Anyone else have this issue???

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 60w Rugged in my '20, and have been struggling with the same issue. I went to a full wave antenna with a ground plane, and it is better, but not fixed 100%.
The radio transmits and receives fine.
The weird thing is that sometimes the engine stalls and sometimes it doesn't. I think it would be easier to diagnose if it did it all the time.
I will be watching this thread. I would love to get it fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 60w Rugged in my '20, and have been struggling with the same issue. I went to a full wave antenna with a ground plane, and it is better, but not fixed 100%.
The radio transmits and receives fine.
The weird thing is that sometimes the engine stalls and sometimes it doesn't. I think it would be easier to diagnose if it did it all the time.
I will be watching this thread. I would love to get it fixed.
Looking to buy the Rugged kit for my XTR, but reluctant now that I'm reading this. I reached out to Rugged and they aren't aware of any issues with the 2020 and compatibility of their radios with the engine. Let me know what you find out.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
it's RF interference coming in via the wires, a connector, and / or to one of the controller boxes.... first, ground everything...the frame parts are powercoated... where the joints go together is not a good ground... run 10-12ga ground jumpers from the mounting plate on the antenna down the ground path to the frame back to ground..... second, try to maintain as much distance as you can with the radio, antenna wire and antenna away from any other wiring or boxes. Move the placement of the radio, wiring and antenna...... third, wrap the wiring in wire shield, even copper or aluminum foil, but add a ground wire back to a good ground. wrap any computers, efi boxes with foil to shield them and ground wires.... there are other things you can add to reduce the interference, but start with the above list.. no magic bullet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts