Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Since I do not know much about suspensions, shocks etc. would I feel a difference between these two shocks? I only understand the basics of shocks...the piston dampens and the springs push the shock back to its initial position and effects the ride. I have a 2020 yxz SS with RC2 shocks. I have played with the setting screws and do not feel any difference. Of course I am not a crazy style rider (70 years old and ride desert trails.) I will not be racing or rock crawling but in fact want the smoothest ride when doing 20-40 MPH. Should I buy a spanner wrench?

·
Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
36 Posts
The RC2's seem to have some following that thinks they are superior, but from what I can gather it is due to their aftermarket support (re-valving, etc) vs. the X2's which do not. All in all though the X2's seem to have far better potential, adjustability every which way imaginable.

For what it is worth I am no suspension master here either, but have done quite a bit of reading and experimenting as of late, and am pretty happy that I have the X2's especially for the kind of riding I do and appreciate (very aggressive and don't mind a firmer ride). All said if I had the RC2's I'd send them in and get some springs to align them with my riding style. For what you are describing the default settings probably are your best starting point, only if you are finding things you don't like (ie. too bouncy in front/rear, too soft/hard, etc) then start tweaking the compression/rebound to your liking.

If you find your sag is too much (too many accessories) or you are not getting the ride height you desire, then you will need the spanner wrench to adjust the spring preload. There comes a point a new spring maybe needed pending on many variables and what you are looking to achieve.

·
Administrator
2018 YXZ SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Heavyweight Flywheel, RR Intercom & Radio
345 Posts
Not an RC2 vs X2 comment it is related to ride comfort.

Tire pressure plays an important part of ride comfort.

We're running a 2018 SE thus X2 shocks. After adjusting the shocks to set ride height. For this you should use the spanner set, though it is possible to Primitive Pete the lock rings, for the cost its worth picking them up. Heck, they cost less than a tank of gas does.

Go thru the recommended settings for the ride your looking for. Once you feel close to what you want. You can tune the ride with tire pressure.

For us we run trails between 25-45 mph. Most trails aren't too smooth, but they aren't horrendous either. They are a mix of soft sand, mud, loose rock and some hard pack. For this I found running the tires around 10-12 psi made it both comfortable and gave good traction across all the trails had to offer.

Not sure if you've looked here, but plenty of good info.

Nate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts