Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll,
Today we took the Yxz out to Superstition Mountains for a 5 hour day- We had a blast- A friend of mine rolled out with his RZR 1k and I had my Yxz.. Apples to apples..

We unloaded at 830 am and rode till 1 this afternoon, temperatures ranging from low 90's to low 100's. (hot as balls.) Scott is a friend of mine and one hell of a driver with tons of experience in this area, so I was really excited to see if the yxz could hang with his 1k..

We climbed some pretty crazy spots, three wheeling corners and rock climbing, as well as wide open runs through the desert and up the back of the sandy mountain.. It was an absolute blast-- He and I both were surprised at how well the Yxz did in the tight, technical areas.. It climbed really well, zero hiccups.. You just have to be aware and feather the clutch to keep the rpm's up-- I used diff lock in some really rocky areas and it worked great.. I went everywhere that the rzr threw at me..

After almost 4 hours of technical kick ass driving, it was time to get to the nitty gritty- I was drilled by a couple guys on here about my race results and how I thought the N/A video wasn't in line with my results..
We raced 4 times, I won 3 of the 4.. 2 of the 3 races were neck and neck with just a half car length difference. The race that surprised us was the 4wd race. I beat him by 3-4 car lengths and his words were I was pulling away until my brake lights lit up... The one time he beat me he was a nose in front of me.. If we hadn't run out of space and I could get into 5th gear I don't think he would have a chance-- As he said that 5th gear is like an overdrive that the rzr just doesn't have--
No-- I don't have video-- As I stated before, we ride, ergo I don't have time to set up a camera and take vids.. Thats for pretty people, not us tubby's.. =)

I wanted to run the light bar and whips the whole time just to see how the machine responded.. It never dropped below 12.3 and usually hung around 13.. The difference between this day and the previous were obvious driving conditions.. Driving in the dirt and around my house compared to searing heat, 4 wd full time, and rock climbing and sand duning made a difference, but they stayed on for the full 4.5 hours of driving without a problem.. Once I get my rugged radio set up, Ill be definitely installing a second battery, but as for these upcoming dune trips to Glamis, Im fine with the one battery..

They are both really great machines and a blast to drive. We swapped a couple of times and really enjoy the Rzr 1k, but I love shifting--

Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Sand Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Off-roading Motor vehicle
Sky Panorama Horizon Landscape Photography

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yours must be one of the special ones. Everybody that has posted a video shows the yxz coming up short in races against the other 1000's. I personally don't know what to think about your story without video to proov it. Who knows, maybe the other car was running on one cylinder.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Reactions: jfulps

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hey ya'll,
Today we took the Yxz out to Superstition Mountains for a 5 hour day- We had a blast- A friend of mine rolled out with his RZR 1k and I had my Yxz.. Apples to apples..

We unloaded at 830 am and rode till 1 this afternoon, temperatures ranging from low 90's to low 100's. (hot as balls.) Scott is a friend of mine and one hell of a driver with tons of experience in this area, so I was really excited to see if the yxz could hang with his 1k..

We climbed some pretty crazy spots, three wheeling corners and rock climbing, as well as wide open runs through the desert and up the back of the sandy mountain.. It was an absolute blast-- He and I both were surprised at how well the Yxz did in the tight, technical areas.. It climbed really well, zero hiccups.. You just have to be aware and feather the clutch to keep the rpm's up-- I used diff lock in some really rocky areas and it worked great.. I went everywhere that the rzr threw at me..

After almost 4 hours of technical kick ass driving, it was time to get to the nitty gritty- I was drilled by a couple guys on here about my race results and how I thought the N/A video wasn't in line with my results..
We raced 4 times, I won 3 of the 4.. 2 of the 3 races were neck and neck with just a half car length difference. The race that surprised us was the 4wd race. I beat him by 3-4 car lengths and his words were I was pulling away until my brake lights lit up... The one time he beat me he was a nose in front of me.. If we hadn't run out of space and I could get into 5th gear I don't think he would have a chance-- As he said that 5th gear is like an overdrive that the rzr just doesn't have--
No-- I don't have video-- As I stated before, we ride, ergo I don't have time to set up a camera and take vids.. Thats for pretty people, not us tubby's.. =)

I wanted to run the light bar and whips the whole time just to see how the machine responded.. It never dropped below 12.3 and usually hung around 13.. The difference between this day and the previous were obvious driving conditions.. Driving in the dirt and around my house compared to searing heat, 4 wd full time, and rock climbing and sand duning made a difference, but they stayed on for the full 4.5 hours of driving without a problem.. Once I get my rugged radio set up, Ill be definitely installing a second battery, but as for these upcoming dune trips to Glamis, Im fine with the one battery..

They are both really great machines and a blast to drive. We swapped a couple of times and really enjoy the Rzr 1k, but I love shifting--

View attachment 1628 View attachment 1629 View attachment 1630
Nice write up, Glad u guys had a great time, N glad u like ur new YXZ. How is the suspension on it while going 40 to 50 mph? Some people said the suspension works better at high speed only?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hey ya'll,

View attachment 1628 View attachment 1629 View attachment 1630
Thanks for taking the time to tell us how the YXZ did and glad you like it…nice to hear it did good in the slow stuff too.

The sad thing is if you had left out the drag racing part those same guys would still bitch about something.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've misquoted me. That quote was for Yamastar and meant as a sarcastic reply to his nonsense. Look back at all the post I've made throughout your thread. I appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with your new YXZ today. I don't have any interest in filming anything but I wouldn't mind meeting up with you and riding with you guys out at superstition for a day trip!
Sorry about that YAmastar-- i misread it-- thank you for the kind words and you are always welcome to ride! Cheers!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
2016 rzr XP 1000 clutch is all different from the 2014 / 2015 different rollers, weights, driven clutch is also different with square sliders and more. Turbo clutch is completely different again in every way.

Don't just listen to what you've been told pull a cover off and see for yourself before you make some misinformed statement.
I was going by what the Polaris website says. Which is new ducting to keep the belt 50% cooler. And a new helix for less engine braking.
Ive not been "told" anything, because I dont know anyone with a 2016 NA xp1k yet. I do have a couple buddies who race the Xpt with us.
Plus, how do we know you are an expert on this. And not just listening to what you have been told too?? Do you own one, work on their clutches, or was you able to find more detailed information other than the Polaris website?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Superstition Mtn is an awesome place to ride because it has a wide variety of terrain. A lot of race teams do testing near there because of the variety. I love riding there.

Nice write up JFulps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was going by what the Polaris website says. Which is new ducting to keep the belt 50% cooler. And a new helix for less engine braking.
Ive not been "told" anything, because I dont know anyone with a 2016 NA xp1k yet. I do have a couple buddies who race the Xpt with us.
Plus, how do we know you are an expert on this. And not just listening to what you have been told too?? Do you own one, work on their clutches, or was you able to find more detailed information other than the Polaris website?
Drifter is correct. 2016 rzr clutches are different. Seen it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The new ducting cooling came out as a retro kit in 2014. It came standard on all 2015's.

I know because I'm in in this industry and would never make a misinformed statement without physically looking for myself. Yes, Ive had them apart and have driven it numerous times along with all the others.

All I'm trying to do is give correct information when I see the incorrect crap that some guess about and write like they know is fact!

Like I said earlier, if you really want to know fact go pull a cover off - I have.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The new ducting cooling came out as a retro kit in 2014. It came standard on all 2015's.

I know because I'm in in this industry and would never make a misinformed statement without physically looking for myself. Yes, Ive had them apart and have driven it numerous times along with all the others.

All I'm trying to do is give correct information when I see the incorrect crap that some guess about and write like they know is fact!

Like I said earlier, if you really want to know fact go pull a cover off - I have.
I was not trying to make any "factual statements" based on guesses. And I definitely wasn't trying to insult your Rzrs.

I havent heard any of the Racers I associate with mention any clutch changes in their new machines.

I'm not doubting your word, but it does seem like Polaris would be bragging about this new upgraded clutch since there have been so many belt failures in the racing world.

Can you fill us in on their changes ? I know we had to change out the spider gears ton harden piece. We also changed out the helix to less braking one. But that was more choice than need.

We never had a belt failure, but we also changed our belt every other race. Which was also extremely expensive just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have noticed some house cleaning going on today :D

It just some yxz talk or new members may get frustrated when they have to go thru pages of BS on a good OP subject.

Now it don't effect me and you have made me lmao more than once but it's time to take out the trash.

Cheers ZZtop

Reactions: McKay

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think different viewpoints can be helpful when trying to decide if I should spend $25,000 of my hard earned money,but some people like to be less then informative to boost there own egos.to me I just filter through the bs but it's getting a lot more time consuming now,if you don't have anything factual to add or a legit question then go back to your cave!m2c rant over.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Seems to be a very legit review of his ride and experience with his friend. The area he rode in is a good place as it gives you a little bit of everything and is typical of what us So. Cal. people ride in.

I think people forget the important thing is to go out and have fun with your family and friends no matter what you drive.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts