Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read a few threads in leaking rear diffs. Mine is a 16 so warranty is out. My question, based on the photo, is what do I need to fix? Just the seals or a whole new half shalf? I notice it was seeping and after a ride (I filled it up w 75-90 prior) it’s now at the pictured state.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Pull the half shaft and replace the seal in the rear diff on that side.

Couple tips now that I have a little time..... This should be a pretty easy job. You do not have to remove the hub side nut to replace the seal. Rough outline
1. Drain the diff and remove brake caliper line bolts and caliper bolts to allow you to tie the caliper up to the frame with some wire. Remove the rear shock bolts.
2. Remove the upper rear spindle bolt. Remove the rear shock completely. This will allow you to fold the upper a-arm up out of the way and also allow the spindle to droop. Tie the upper a-arm up out of the way.
3. Let the spindle droop to the ground and start working to pull the half-shaft out of the diff. It should pop out with a proper tug.
4. Install your new seal.
5. Carefully re-insert the half shaft into the diff so as to not damage your new seal while picking up the rear spindle.

Good luck. Alternately, that looks pretty minor... Just run it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts