Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the obvious body roll / flat cornering effect this thing gives us - why do you think they went so stiff on it?

I really don't like the way it jolts the rear end around in the rough choppy stuff at all and seems to negate the advantages of the independent suspension.

I see how it might be fine for high speed dune desert rolling hills type stuff but I think its gonna need to be a little more compliant all around to suit my taste.

Will something less agressive be available and where should I look for a replacement?

Thanks!

JD

·
Registered
329 Posts
A large rear swaybar is used for proper high speed offroad handling. This machine was built for high speed handling. Reducing swaybar stiffness compromises high speed handling. I do not understand how you can ride in this machine and claim anything is jolting. I can tell you from experience that the swaybar is not intrusive.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here we go again. ..... The rear is way to stuff eveone overwhelmingly agrees. Maybe not on a full
Moto track but anywhere else it's horriable .... As if right now I can run off and leave a Yama on my old x the suspensions is night and day. No comparison. Only fault I have with the machine .. Some one who had put the helper spring in or resprung softer chim in I want to buy. The sway bar may be little big once I get springs sorter can concentrate on that.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
After I installed a set of 4-seater shocks on our xp900 we always un-hooked the rear sway bar for technical trails.
Xp doesn't have a front sway bar, but I would suggest just try un hooking them and see if you like it.

I haven't gotten enough miles on mind yet to give any input on shock adjustment. I have saw where Scmitty racing is already offering some things to soften up the rear too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Disconnected it and went for a quick run. It felt substantially smoother back there. Worth a closer look for sure.

It measures 1.250+ in diameter which seems big if its solid, but I know there are lots of lever lengths and arms that play into its effective stiffness so ???

I will put my shock valving back to stock and do some more testing this week.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I like the planted feel and ability to drift and steer with the rear end without excessive body roll. I could see where technical trail riders would want a softer sway bar. It's personal preference and there is always a trade off.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Definitely a trade off when connected or disconnected.

There must be something to these little sway bars too. Since now even the xpT comes with a front sway bar stock.
:)

But as far as disconnected them, people have been doing that for years too. It was a big tioic even on the little 570.

We tend to run our cars extremely stiff for their racing duties. And then when it is time to go out for a leisurely ride, we will soften up the clickers and in hook the sway bars too. Makes for a much friendlier trail ride.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I been talking. To the guy selling tenders on this forum and we have spoke to fox they know about problem so I am going. To wait see what they do. Maybe different set of springs with crossover and tender spring ?? How does yours fly. I can't go over 50 ft and the nose gives you religion fast. And before everyone starts giving. Me jumping advice I know how to drive. Lol. My shocks are adjusted as good as can be (I have raced moto for 20+ years I know how to set suspension) but still nose dives ... I'm more worried about this than clutch. Lol

·
Registered
582 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I been talking. To the guy selling tenders on this forum and we have spoke to fox they know about problem so I am going. To wait see what they do. Maybe different set of springs with crossover and tender spring ?? How does yours fly. I can't go over 50 ft and the nose gives you religion fast. And before everyone starts giving. Me jumping advice I know how to drive. Lol. My shocks are adjusted as good as can be (I have raced moto for 20+ years I know how to set suspension) but still nose dives ... I'm more worried about this than clutch. Lol
He lives a town over from me, been to his shop, shot the shit, and bought his crossover and tenders. Hes a great guy and working to smooth these things out. I doing Turkey day in the desert so will get to see how it handles at high speed on hard pack.

·
Registered
86 Posts
YZXSS
In the case of XP1000, there already was a tender spring, so in your example, the difference of 50# in the tender spring , only generates a 14# change on initial combined spring rate. In the case of the YXZ, there wasn't a tender there in the first place. So to create the change we are after in combination with the single OEM spring; the rate will be entirely different.. You are comparing apples to oranges. And by the way, our kit works extremely well.

·
Registered
582 Posts
YZXSS
In the case of XP1000, there already was a tender spring, so in your example, the difference of 50# in the tender spring , only generates a 14# change on initial combined spring rate. In the case of the YXZ, there wasn't a tender there in the first place. So to create the change we are after in combination with the single OEM spring; the rate will be entirely different.. You are comparing apples to oranges. And by the way, our kit works extremely well.
It sure does! just got back from Mojave for the week, rock solid! I'm still wanting more high on the high speed side though, how are you making out with the other machine?

·
Registered
613 Posts
YZXSS
So your running 600# tender springs in your kit? Like a Eibach 0400.300.0600

I'm not comparing apples to anything, I just don't think a 600# tender spring is correct.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've been out for the last two weeks with a couple of broken ribs.. :( No testing for another week or two.. Bouncing around is no bueno. On another note. Our billet preload collars are done, and we have them listed on our website, along with the tender kit as well. :cool:
Ok, story please?!?

I'll order the 'reloads now, been waiting but forgot the check site.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've been out for the last two weeks with a couple of broken ribs.. :( No testing for another week or two.. Bouncing around is no bueno. On another note. Our billet preload collars are done, and we have them listed on our website, along with the tender kit as well. :cool:

If your suspension mods were any good, you could still be testing.

:p

Just kidding, the reports on your mods have been outstanding. I hope you heal quickly!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If your suspension mods were any good, you could still be testing.

:p

Just kidding, the reports on your mods have been outstanding. I hope you heal quickly!

That was funny! I even laughed a little out loud!

My wife has been mad at me ever since I sent the XP1K shocks off for race valving too! Those big ole soft shocks on the stock XP car ruint her!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok, story please?!?

I'll order the 'reloads now, been waiting but forgot the check site.
It's not even a good one.. :p carrying a bunch of big heavy boxes down one of those steep fold down attic ladders..well, you can guess the rest of the story.. :( , Anyway, I get the unit back a week from now and will be working on the dual rate kit..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts