Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, our team was Riddled with challenges this whole trip. Everything from the RV breaking down on our way there to our xp900 pilot crashing out of his class lead, to our YXZ shredding a back tire. And our spare wheels and tires did not come in before we left for this race, so we retired our YXZ out of 3rd place with a lap left. :(

Onto the Yamaha news tho.

This event had a dose of everything! More Can Ams showed up this race too. One was a factory supported racer just getting a taste of what lies ahead for them to compete in utvrr next season. He was battling for the lead with a fellow sponsored Popo rival...until one of his rear wheels popped off. He said they weren't worried tho, because they already know what they have to do to keep all four wheels on. Just didn't have time to get his car prepped before this round. His ass was flying too, a minute a lap faster than me. Dang it.

The sponsored Popo riders suffered the same fate as the CanAm driver too. The one battling for the lead all race was in a new 1000 Turbo. He lead (7) of the 9 laps until his front diff quit pulling. Then a broken rear axle retired him after 9 laps. The other Popo sponsored driver only made 3 laps before he snapped a rear axle. Came in got it changed out, only to brake the other one a lap later. He was credit with the fastest lap of the race tho.

There was (4) YXZs at this round. No mechanical failures in the Yamaha group. Except one did break a rear sway bar linkage, but it didn't end his race tho. One driver did loose control of his car during practice, while drifting a corner and caught his right front wheel on a tree. Ending his night before the green flag even dropped. Ugggh

I set out first in our YXZ, beating a NA xp1000 to turn one! Ive finally got the starting down part on this one!!

I had a great two hours, lapping around in the top 4 and 5. I got past by two of the sponsored riders and they were both driving the wheels off their machines. Literally for the CanAm driver! :). Couldn't help it.

I have to figure out this fuel useage tho. I burned thru a whole tank in 5 laps. We can get 6 out either of our popo cars. I came in for a quick splash and made another lap turning it over to my oldest son. That pit stop dropped me from 4th to 7th tho. So Alex pulled out right in the middle of a bunch of machines competing for a top 5 night!!

He was holding his own in the dark racing. Was able to hold the other two Yamahas off till his tire exploded. He pulled in and said "car is not doing right!". We said, guess not, your left rear tire is Tore completely off the rim!!

It made it much harder on him to watch the next YXZ in line race by while he was climbing out of our car.

That said YXZ went up to 4th the following lap only to loose that position to his brother racing a can am!. With the other one a couple places behind him.

In all fairness, both those other YXZs also had rear flats, one came in and changed his out, the other finished his last lap on a flat.

Our only claim to fame this weekend is we were lapping the YXZ around in the top 5 against some very talented drivers. And I was able to turn the fastest lap time out of my family of drivers this race too! LoL

Some pics and videos to follow soon.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our tire was a 26" GBC grim reaper. One of them was a GBC Dirt Commander and the other was an OEM big horn.

Definitely not any fault of the tires in this race. There was some sharp rocks uncovered that were getting a bunch of people tires.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One the YXZ that broke the sway bar linkage, did it break because of the bar shifting to the side?
Seems to be something popping up from a few people, but easily fixed. http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/10-yxz-general-discussion/1545-my-experience-yxz-so-far.html
Correct. I went around after the race and informed the other drivers of the fix we found on here. One was already broken and the other one was still in tact , but had signs of the bar moving back and forth.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One the YXZ that broke the sway bar linkage, did it break because of the bar shifting to the side?
Seems to be something popping up from a few people, but easily fixed. http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/10-yxz-general-discussion/1545-my-experience-yxz-so-far.html
Correct. I went around after the race and informed the other drivers of the fix we found on here. One was already broken and the other one was still in tact , but had signs of the bar moving back and forth.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's why these Forums are So cool ! Learn what to fix before you actually need too! :)

And, I'm happy to report, these YXZ machines don't seem to be braking too many things at all.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Our tire was a 26" GBC grim reaper. One of them was a GBC Dirt Commander and the other was an OEM big horn.

Definitely not any fault of the tires in this race. There was some sharp rocks uncovered that were getting a bunch of people tires.
Hey man is the GBC Grim Reaper your favorite tire for racing? I was wondering what to replace the Bighorns with but I don't want to go taller or sacrifice any handling or performance in the process.
I wasn't planning to necessarily replace them immediately either. I had 2500 miles on BH 2.0s on my Renegade but I gather they aren't up to supporting the UTVs like the do the quads.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have taken part in the races near California City a few years ago but was not a serious contender (driving a completely stock Ranger 900). Now that i have the YXZ i would like to start getting into some of the races. does anyone have an idea or somewhere i can finds if they offer other desert races in California?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey man is the GBC Grim Reaper your favorite tire for racing? I was wondering what to replace the Bighorns with but I don't want to go taller or sacrifice any handling or performance in the process.
I wasn't planning to necessarily replace them immediately either. I had 2500 miles on BH 2.0s on my Renegade but I gather they aren't up to supporting the UTVs like the do the quads.
We usually run the GBC Dirt Commanders. We have had a lot of good luck with them too. I put these Grim Reapers on to try them out. And they also offered them in a 26" size too. Still an 8-ply tire just like the Dirt Commanders too.

I'm really liking the Grim Reapers tho. They have a solid lug running all the way down the middle of the tire which seems to be helping it turn in a lot quicker. A lot of times when running at speed with the dirt Commanders, the front wheels will push. In some of our racing pics, it looks like I have sand tires on the front because all you can see is that center lug running down the middle of the tire.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What size tire do most people use in the unlimited class?
Most of the tires out there are 27". I went with 26" on the YXZ thinking a little smaller tire may help it rev up faster in the woods sections.
One of the faster guys out there is running 29" dirt commanders tho. His car definitely stands out with those big tires too! He may be onto something tho, because he has set the fastest lap in the last 4 or 5 races. LoL

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and another one too!

I think this center lug is what's helping the car turn in much faster. Bog Horns are notoriously bad for pushing in slick conditions.

YXZ in the woods!.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts