Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. New to forum and I am going to be purchasing a new 19 YXZ (hopefully by the end of this week) but not sure what to choose. My question is within a year I will turbo it but not sure if I should get the manual or the SS paddle shift. From what I can gather the SS is good to about 200hp max with the turbo as far as the trans is concerned. But the main thing I want is for the machine to remain reliable. 80% of my riding is in the desert here in So Cal with the other 20% being Dumont or Glamis. Of course I would love to build the motor and put 300hp to it but don't really want to dump another $10k to make it reliable at that power level if that's what it takes. Part of me says the wife would drive it if it was a SS but then I have a feeling she really won't want to drive it anyways and don't want to regret getting the manual. What would you do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
IMO the SS SE is the best option unless you are going for a max effort 350hp build. I have a 2017 SS SE that I want to turbo, but wary of the clutch. The GYTR turbo gets you close to 200 hp and still covered by factory warranty on 2019 if dealer installs it...….Yes the SE is worth it, the shocks and dual rate springs are amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,682 Posts
Go 3 pedals . You won’t regret it . Low boost turbo is plenty for the desert. 200 and over is a big time hand full. With a 2019 you will be fine to 200hp any higher and they recommend pistons and I would do Carrillo rods and studs .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Bought my SS for the "wife" reason. I love my yxz and will keep it until it quits on me, but if I could do it over I'd get the three pedal.

(Ended up buying a 2nd yxz for the wife after she drove mine though)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go 3 pedals . You won’t regret it . Low boost turbo is plenty for the desert. 200 and over is a big time hand full. With a 2019 you will be fine to 200hp any higher and they recommend pistons and I would do Carrillo rods and studs .
I would really like to know how well the yxz does in the dunes with 200 whp. Unfortunately I haven't driven one in either setting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought my SS for the "wife" reason. I love my yxz and will keep it until it quits on me, but if I could do it over I'd get the three pedal.

(Ended up buying a 2nd yxz for the wife after she drove mine though)
That's one of my only reason to get the SS is so the wife can drive it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Funny, the wife passed on the SS because she had to have a 3 pedal. As far as she was concerned getting the SS just wouldn't be any fun. Since I'm just the mechanic I pushed hard for the SS because I didn't want to be changing clutches. But SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) prevailed. She has never been happier with a decision.
Nate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,682 Posts
I would really like to know how well the yxz does in the dunes with 200 whp. Unfortunately I haven't driven one in either setting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have one that is about 215 to the wheels and with a light flywheel and 45/15 gears , it’s a blast . Boarder line scary at times lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
i only could test drive the 3 pedal yxz but i orderd a SS (SE). Until this day im happy that i did go with the SS. Maybe i become lazy but with the SS you dont need to worry about shifting in critical situations. You can just shift by pressing a pedal and (in my opinion) in the most cases it shift way faster and more clean than we ever could (no problem of a burned clutch because you slipped it to long).

If you just cruise around its more comfortable, if you ripping around the tracks you shift much more easy.

There are 2 reason i would recommend the manual yxz: you want more then 200hp (with the gytr turbo kit you get about 180 hp with 150-160rearwheel hp). I think 180hp is enough power BUT im no dune or desert driver. And the other reason is: You just like the feeling of it. As i said i only drove the 3 pedal when i tested them (it was about 20-30 minutes). It was a lot of fun to shift, but with the conclusion that i would allways need to shift (even when you are riding over stuff and you get hopped around in the car) i took the SS. When i just used the yxz sometimes and only for fun racing style driving ok, i go with the 3 pedal but i do also long rides with cruising around its more comfortable with the SS

If you want to read more check this out: Hi hoping for info
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
If you want reliability #1, get a foot clutch. I ALMOST bought an SS so the domestic supervisor could drive it. I do not regret getting a foot clutch, but I'll also drop the clutch when needed to get the car to do what I want.

I think the SE is only worth it for the X2 shocks. On the 19 you only get the X2 shocks on the white(?)SSSE. I like my X2s on my 17, but have never run tuned RC2 shock to compare. You get a bigger internal diameter shock with the non internal bypass RC2, so if you're not looking for slow speed compliance, I would think the RCs would resist fade better in high speed desert runs.

Also you may want to try non turbo, if you really want reliability. KISS principal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Hi guys. New to forum and I am going to be purchasing a new 19 YXZ (hopefully by the end of this week) but not sure what to choose. My question is within a year I will turbo it but not sure if I should get the manual or the SS paddle shift. From what I can gather the SS is good to about 200hp max with the turbo as far as the trans is concerned. But the main thing I want is for the machine to remain reliable. 80% of my riding is in the desert here in So Cal with the other 20% being Dumont or Glamis. Of course I would love to build the motor and put 300hp to it but don't really want to dump another $10k to make it reliable at that power level if that's what it takes. Part of me says the wife would drive it if it was a SS but then I have a feeling she really won't want to drive it anyways and don't want to regret getting the manual. What would you do?
I have a 2020 YXZ SSSE for sale $17870 OUT THE DOOR , It has 200 miles on it. Hard top included.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
If you are going to go over 250hp the 3 pedal is likely the safe bet. Otherwise the SS is a complete blast to drive. I bought the SS so the wife could drive easier and now she has an RS1 so it's really just mine. I'm super glad I got the SS though, it is a flat blast to bang paddles on the dunes. I have driven 3 pedal buggies all my life and the SS is just a fun new experience. No removing hands when you need to shift, just flicking the paddles all day long
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
[QUOTE="Moto1, post:
I have a 2020 YXZ SSSE for sale $17870 OUT THE DOOR , It has 200 miles on it. Hard top included
Text me John 623-521-1847
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want reliability #1, get a foot clutch. I ALMOST bought an SS so the domestic supervisor could drive it. I do not regret getting a foot clutch, but I'll also drop the clutch when needed to get the car to do what I want.

I think the SE is only worth it for the X2 shocks. On the 19 you only get the X2 shocks on the white(?)SSSE. I like my X2s on my 17, but have never run tuned RC2 shock to compare. You get a bigger internal diameter shock with the non internal bypass RC2, so if you're not looking for slow speed compliance, I would think the RCs would resist fade better in high speed desert runs.

Also you may want to try non turbo, if you really want reliability. KISS principal.
What are the issues with the SS?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top