Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago we took a ride in Bee Canyon near our place in Hemet. Being stupid I wore shorts on a 100* day.. End result was a nice burn on leg. I have ordered the Weller relocation bracket to make my life better. Will start on disassembly tomorrow .Also bought a Derale oil cooler for the transmission. Just need to verify thread size for the transmission ports. going 6-an size hose and fittings. Have an old farts idea of mounting the cooler on the roof and put a small scoop over it ..Depends on how many million dollars the braided lines cost . The radiator hose surprised me with how much that stuff is.,
Taking off the front plastic looks like a fun job as well. Lots of rivets and bolts. Thank goodness for U-Tube.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out the trans cooler made by Tubeworks it specifically made for the YXZ
Saw that. Already have a Derale cooler on the way. Have 99% of everything on order. Just need the 6=AN fittings for the transmission.

·
Registered
156 Posts
How did you burn your leg tho? I use to be able to feel some heat but nowhere near a burn

I relocated mine and hate it. Thinking about sticking it back up front. But a tip. If you do a lot of woods riding make sure and use a good guard on it. Also I’d recommend a rear window. The first ride after I relocated mine I was turning around in a trail and a limb went through as I was backing and busted my radiator. Pissed very hot coolent right into the cab. Luckily missed us so I patched it and got a rear window. The rear window cuts down on dust a lot also. My air filter doesn’t get nowhere as dirty as it did. But to date I have busted my radiator 3 times backing into limbs. Idk maybe I’m a moron but I ride in some pretty tight areas. So I’m debating rather to get the weller radiator or a new stock one and stick it back in the front. Also in the front you can mount some ports in your kick panels and have decent heat during the winter.

·
Premium Member
2016 YXZ SE, 70/30/11, Recluse, Heavy Hitter, 31" ITP Ultracross
19 Posts
If your uncomfortable with the heat as I was, go in and re-insulate the tunnel panels and wrap the coolant lines and while your at it wrap the exhaust header.... reflashing the ECU causing the fan to come on at a cooler temp is also helpful,
I did all this and dropped interior temp by 20+ degrees and I do most of my riding is slow trail riding in E. Tn and FL. Aaaand if your worried about mud in the fwd positioned radiator, a guy on ebay is selling a kit made of thin flexable plastic that completely eliminates any mud in it... For me this was a much better solution than moving the radiator to the back.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the weller relocate and love it. Money well spent. I just went to Napa and got some radiator hose and made it work. I think it keeps the transmission cooler as well by not having that hot air on it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of this information I am in Hemet Ca and mostly ride mojave desert. The heat issues are most noticeable on days above 90*. The day I burned myself was around 104 and like an idiot I wore shorts against my better judgement. during our approx. 4 hour ride up in the mountains my leg kept bumping into the center console .Lots of slow - med speed ,up and down hills. Engine was definitely running warm .
The first time I encountered this heat issue out in the desert . I started thinking of ways to cure this. Insulation w as an idea , but relocating the radiator seemed like the absolute best way to do this..
I have a lot of the parts already here , just a few fittings left. Going to add a cooler to the tranny as well.
Got sidetracked a few days ago with a small stroke. Out of the hospital now and doing what tt takes to get better. Dying to get back behind the wheel of the Yamaha.
Thank you all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts