Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago we took a ride in Bee Canyon near our place in Hemet. Being stupid I wore shorts on a 100* day.. End result was a nice burn on leg. I have ordered the Weller relocation bracket to make my life better. Will start on disassembly tomorrow .Also bought a Derale oil cooler for the transmission. Just need to verify thread size for the transmission ports. going 6-an size hose and fittings. Have an old farts idea of mounting the cooler on the roof and put a small scoop over it ..Depends on how many million dollars the braided lines cost . The radiator hose surprised me with how much that stuff is.,
Taking off the front plastic looks like a fun job as well. Lots of rivets and bolts. Thank goodness for U-Tube.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out the trans cooler made by Tubeworks it specifically made for the YXZ
Saw that. Already have a Derale cooler on the way. Have 99% of everything on order. Just need the 6=AN fittings for the transmission.

·
Registered
159 Posts
How did you burn your leg tho? I use to be able to feel some heat but nowhere near a burn

I relocated mine and hate it. Thinking about sticking it back up front. But a tip. If you do a lot of woods riding make sure and use a good guard on it. Also I’d recommend a rear window. The first ride after I relocated mine I was turning around in a trail and a limb went through as I was backing and busted my radiator. Pissed very hot coolent right into the cab. Luckily missed us so I patched it and got a rear window. The rear window cuts down on dust a lot also. My air filter doesn’t get nowhere as dirty as it did. But to date I have busted my radiator 3 times backing into limbs. Idk maybe I’m a moron but I ride in some pretty tight areas. So I’m debating rather to get the weller radiator or a new stock one and stick it back in the front. Also in the front you can mount some ports in your kick panels and have decent heat during the winter.

·
Premium Member
2016 YXZ SE, 70/30/11, Recluse, Heavy Hitter, 31" ITP Ultracross
19 Posts
If your uncomfortable with the heat as I was, go in and re-insulate the tunnel panels and wrap the coolant lines and while your at it wrap the exhaust header.... reflashing the ECU causing the fan to come on at a cooler temp is also helpful,
I did all this and dropped interior temp by 20+ degrees and I do most of my riding is slow trail riding in E. Tn and FL. Aaaand if your worried about mud in the fwd positioned radiator, a guy on ebay is selling a kit made of thin flexable plastic that completely eliminates any mud in it... For me this was a much better solution than moving the radiator to the back.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the weller relocate and love it. Money well spent. I just went to Napa and got some radiator hose and made it work. I think it keeps the transmission cooler as well by not having that hot air on it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of this information I am in Hemet Ca and mostly ride mojave desert. The heat issues are most noticeable on days above 90*. The day I burned myself was around 104 and like an idiot I wore shorts against my better judgement. during our approx. 4 hour ride up in the mountains my leg kept bumping into the center console .Lots of slow - med speed ,up and down hills. Engine was definitely running warm .
The first time I encountered this heat issue out in the desert . I started thinking of ways to cure this. Insulation w as an idea , but relocating the radiator seemed like the absolute best way to do this..
I have a lot of the parts already here , just a few fittings left. Going to add a cooler to the tranny as well.
Got sidetracked a few days ago with a small stroke. Out of the hospital now and doing what tt takes to get better. Dying to get back behind the wheel of the Yamaha.
Thank you all

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wondering if you’re feeling better and able to complete this????
Feeling fairly good right now. Thanks for asking. going in for a prostate surgery as soon as drs pull their thumbs out of their ass. running around with a catheter is no fun
Relocation went fairly smooth. biggest pain was getting OEM radiator out. Aftermarket roll cage made getting the main hood piece off a chore due to the intrusion bar. Was going to just leave the old radiator in there , but decided to get rid of it. had a new one ordered to replace it.. used a few bends from one of the water pipes to route the new hoses. FYI the hose coming off the water pump has a larger Dia that connects to the actual pump outlet. Then necks down.
Have not gone out yet. All loaded up but doing the pick grandson up from school thing for a bit. Plus the weather has been scorchy hot here. Water temp seems to run just under 190 running in the garage.
Happy with the way it turned out so far. Now just need to run it and see how well it does.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh man, I don’t ever want either of those (prostate surgery or catheter) , sorry your going through that. I’m having the same issue with the hood and the aftermarket roll cage, I was thinking about cutting in the center as I think that you can’t see it after assembly. And I didn’t realize how much of a pain it is to remove all the plastics. It’s like Tetris. I’m still In disassembly stage. Do you have any pictures???preferably of the conversion and not the catheter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also, did you move the overflow bottle?? I’ve heard that if you run waterless coolant that you don’t need the overflow, thoughts???

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I’ve been working on this, and this is what I got so far. Cut up the factory tubing and got a tube beading tool to put beads on the keep clamps from popping off. I’m not leaving the zip ties, those were my helpers. I’ll use the clamps to bolt to the frame. And I think I’m installing my radiator leaning back, unless anyone has a reason why I should not. Placement of radiator allows me to still have some room for the subwoofer.
Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design
Tire Blue Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

M
Hood Automotive air manifold Blue Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got some more forward progress on this task yesterday after work. Cut lower radiator mount off the frame and bolted to roll cage cross bar. Got lower lines rough attached. I think they are looking good so far. I had to order another set of factory radiator tubing because I don’t have a lot left after all the cuts. Im still trying to figure out upper radiator mounts. Running upper line should be easy as Im a plumber and run pipe all day. Also gonna install the thermostat delete kit I got a while back and ordered a temp gauge
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Musical instrument Bumper Asphalt
Car Vehicle Blue Motor vehicle Hood
Automotive tire Handwriting Asphalt Road surface Wood
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk Vehicle
Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle Grey Automotive exterior

·
Registered
60 Posts
Moving along,got lower hose ran and mounted with the factory straps bolted into the frame and onto a few other places. It’s it there as solid as the original. I ordered a 2nd set of radiator lines to have some more pipe, running out. I’m still trying to figure out the upper radiator mount. And got the upper line ran into the bed and installed the thermostat delete.
Blue Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Bumper Hood
Motor vehicle Blue Automotive tire Hood Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold
Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Plant

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got some beads rolled into the tubing yesterday, came out good. A before and after picture. Still working on upper radiator mount. Waiting on a couple parts to finish this up.
Wood Writing implement Office supplies Gas Tool

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I’m about finishing up with this. Finally figured out the upper radiator mount. Got a piece of 1” steel tube and had it bent. Ordered some steel 1.75” tube clamps, drilled holes in them for the pipe. Welded pipe to clamps. Cut some small pieces to hold radiator mounts and make room for cap removal. Welded them, then found an old tv mount that I cut and fit perfectly for the overflow bottle, and welded that. Everything feels nice and strong. Just need to install elbow and fill with fluid. Then it’s test time. Also upgraded the fan. Will hopefully be taking it out next weekend to see how it works. Can anyone tell me what your average temps are? I have a temp gauge and thermostat delete kit installed too.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Motorcycle
Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

1 - 17 of 17 Posts