Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if it would be better to relocate the clutch up to the wheel so you can really feather the hell out of it. Kinda like the old pilots had.

What do you guys think...foot or hand?

·
Registered
18 Posts
steer, hold clutch and shift gear all by hand at the same time seems impossible for me.

foot clutch is best for me as i used to off-road with Nissan patrols with manual gear for long time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What was the total rotation of the steering "wheel" on the Pilots; 120 degrees? That's doable, but if the steering wheel rotates more than 180 degrees, I don't see that a hand clutch would work.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
people will just have to go thru the learning curve to get. For those that cant seem to get it, there is the recluse clutch.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've always wondered how hard it would be to steer with paddle shift on wheel?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Our car has paddle shifters on the actual steering wheel on the backside and it works great! I've seen videos of Ferraris where the paddles are mounted to the steering column and that doesn't look like a good set up to me.

But Ferrari>Cadillac so there must be something good about having it on the steering column too?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm guessing the shifter is electronic, if so it would be very possible to convert to paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Road cars you can put your hand at 9 and 3 and make all the corners without ever removing your hands. That's not happening off road.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I was meaning if the clutch would turn with you if that would work.
I don't mind the foot clutch I was just thinking if it would be more useable/ easier on the hand

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm guessing the shifter is electronic, if so it would be very possible to convert to paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
Actually I think the shift mechanism is mechanical. Just like on a motorcycle. When you shift from say 2nd to 3rd, the shift peddle springs right back to same position every time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Actually I think the shift mechanism is mechanical. Just like on a motorcycle. When you shift from say 2nd to 3rd, the shift peddle springs right back to same position every time.
I pretty sure that's how it is setup as well. Looks like the reverse leaver on the column is actually a gate release to allow access to the reverse position.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have paddle shifters in a few of my cars, I occasionally find my self downshifting UNEXPECTEDLY on a tight or quick corner. I'm liking the shifter on the ground in a SXS. I do understand not wanting to remove your hands from the steering wheel in tough or bumpy spots but with virtually no bump steer, all should be just fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts