Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm out in Glamis for thanksgiving and decided to go rent a YXZ so I could get to see what it's like. I currently own a modified Maverick and have owned a modified Teryx, so my comparison will be based on those 2 rides.
I will start by saying I was once of those guys that was concerned about taking one of my hands off the steering wheel to shift. I was pleasantly surprised that it was much easier that I expected. The short bump up or down is no big deal. I have driven manuals before but never in the dunes or off-road so the sharp dune edges had me concerned but it actually came natural to me to down shift. I stalled it only a couple times and was reminded a couple times by engine lug to down shift. Like everyone else has said it loves to run above 7k rpm. In fact it gets really smooth and sings above that level.
The rental guy said I probably wouldn't like the suspension bc it's stiff but I found it to be awesome and certainly better at high speed. The PS is awesome and better than my Mav's PS. The car turns really easy and corners flat and feels very planted. Comes out of the turn positive and quick. I was also surprised by the gearing. I didn't have any problems taking off but I can see how many guys would want a lower first gear. Me,idk it seems ok but but for slower crawling or taking off on an incline...yes. I was dunning in 2nd & 3rd almost exclusively. I also noticed that I didn't need to shift as much as I thought I would. Those 2 gears worked for almost every where.
Cab noise wasn't bad from exhaust and good to hear exhaust. I did notice the heat on my right calf and it was hot enough to become uncomfortable. However, I think it's an easy fix to eliminate. I didn't notice any other cab heat. I loved the forward visible while duning. Very easy to see the edges out in front of the car. I did not like the seats or the stock belt. Junk IMO. The belt doesn't keep you down on the seat. This is something I would replace immediately anyways. My Mav does have a little bit more leg room but not much and I think a quality seat mounted properly might help. I did notice the clunking noise but I think more seat time and that will not be noticeable. In fact by the end of my 2 1/2 hr ride I wasn't even thinking about it anymore. It does use more fuel than I expected but I guess that's to be expected since it runs at higher rpms.
Overall, I think this machine was impressive IF you like to shift, but even that won't be what you think your used to. It will be easier due to quickness and less than you think, so it's not a big deal. In fact, it does get you more engaged with the driving experience and is enjoyable. IMO. The only way to make it a better driving experience is to have the car personalized and unleash the power that is bottled up. Then, it will be a ride you will not want to get out of.
I hope this write up helps some of you that have not gotten to ride or drive one yet.
BTW, hope all have a happy & safe Thanksgiving!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thank You DesertDog for sharing the ride in the yxz and have a great weekend in Glamis :D

Happy Thanksgiving !!!

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Great review! If you decide to get one and do the Barnett pressure plate it all but eliminates the clunking, only transmission noise I get now is from the actual shift and not the loading and unloading of the driveline.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. It a pretty fun experience and very easy to see that with more seat time it would be a super sweet ride. Can't wait to get mine!!!! With a LT kit it will be outstanding!!!!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hopefully they will be available for rent when I will be on Glamis around Christmas ...:cool:
milos
They should be there. I rented it from Glamis rentals and he had 2 of them. Kind of expensive but I thought WTH, I really wanted to drive one to make sure I liked it before spending 20k. I got it for 2 1/2 hrs which was enough time to form my opinion. There is a definite learning curve but it got better as time passed.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That's what I am going to do to n that's to rent one 1st. I cannot rely on Yamaha to get these things out fast enough to test ride it. And also with renting one u can really put it through the test of how u will drive it n where u will be driving it. Thanks for ur comments on it. Great right up.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am actually tempted to go rent it again. I drove by there yesterday and both rentals were gone.
I am sure that if u rent it again u will have a lot more fun because u will not have to get used to it, Yes I cannot wait to get some seat time in one too.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I thought it was high. I was thinking it might be 400-500 / day
But I'm glad I did it.
I guess I assumed everything out west was expensive. $400 a day is about what they get around here (Texas) on rentals, at least at the few places that actually do rentals.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I guess I assumed everything out west was expensive. $400 a day is about what they get around here (Texas) on rentals, at least at the few places that actually do rentals.
A buddy of mine just rented a Mav and a NA XP for one day here in NC. I almost hate to tell you guys this.... 170 bucks each for the Whole day. They even sent someone out to the trail to help him replace the belt on the XP that day too!!!

I thought this was very Cheap too. I would highly recommend anyone wanting to try one of these toys out to go rent one first! They didn't have the YXZ yet tho. Said he would wait on the Orange and have one ready to rent for next spring tho.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find these threads to be very interesting. I think most here try to express positive experiences as related to the Yxz. I don't know if these feelings are due to really wanting them to be positive, not wanting everybody here to jump all over them for a bad review, or really having positive feedback from actual experiences. Only time will tell and as always everybody will have an opinion. Ford vs Chevy vs Mopar etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts