Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got my rear outer CV boots in from Yamaha. Apparently they changed the design of the outer clamp but have not updated the service manual. Service manual calls for tool pictured with red handle. Clamps supplied from Yamaha are a "claw-type" band clamp. 3 years ago I gave up and bought aftermarket "fit all" band clamps from the part store. Needless to say they failed, as they just don't provide the same tension as the OE style.

I caved this time around and bought the claw tool. What a waste of money. I've ruined 3 clamps trying to get it on and the tool just destroys the clamp before the clamp will tighten enough to engage the locks. Yamaha customer service is shut down indefinitely for a meeting and no dealer in my area will help. They want to put on the cheap ones that failed.

Any advice before it gets traded in with the cheap clamps?

Light Bicycle part Rim Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part
Grey Asphalt Art Gas Road surface

·
Registered
103 Posts
Check with your local auto parts store. The ones that work with the red handled tool are common in automotive applications

Preferably, a parts store with adults working there that may actually know what a band clamp is. The big three usually have warm bodies working the counter that don’t know a band clamp from a nose ring. My local Carquest has former mechanics working there. Makes life so much easier.

Also, make sure and clean the boot and the contact point for the boot with brake cleaner. If there is any grease there, the boot will come off easily no matter how tight the clamp is.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check with your local auto parts store. The ones that work with the red handled tool are common in automotive applications

Preferably, a parts store with adults working there that may actually know what a band clamp is. The big three usually have warm bodies working the counter that don’t know a band clamp from a nose ring. My local Carquest has former mechanics working there. Makes life so much easier.

Also, make sure and clean the boot and the contact point for the boot with brake cleaner. If there is any grease there, the boot will come off easily no matter how tight the clamp is.
The only bands that fit the diameter of the outer portion of the boot are way too narrow and the teeth locks are on the inside for some reason, which means they will dig into the boot as it is clamped. The fit-all band clamps that you stretch and peen over are what I used a few years ago and the bracket that you peen over eventually dug into the boot and sliced it because the aftermarket clamps at the part store are just too narrow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've even tried searching online for the ear style clamps that were original equipment on the YXZ to no avail. 2.95 inch is what I measured and there is just nothing in that size.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay after doing some more research, these clamps are made by Oetiker. I believe Oetiker changed the design of the low profile clamp, and not Yamaha so I can't be super mad at Yamaha about it. BUT, what I did find was that the clamps originally on the machine are stamped "Oetiker 75.9" which indicates it is a 75.9mm clamp. The clamps now provided by Yamaha are stamped "OET 73.2" meaning it is an Oetiker 73.2mm clamp. No wonder they don't fit!!! That explains why I am literally a mm away from being able to lock it before the tool chews through the clamp. I found some 74.5mm clamps on Amazon that should work and they are the type I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
772 Posts
Okay after doing some more research, these clamps are made by Oetiker. I believe Oetiker changed the design of the low profile clamp, and not Yamaha so I can't be super mad at Yamaha about it. BUT, what I did find was that the clamps originally on the machine are stamped "Oetiker 75.9" which indicates it is a 75.9mm clamp. The clamps now provided by Yamaha are stamped "OET 73.2" meaning it is an Oetiker 73.2mm clamp. No wonder they don't fit!!! That explains why I am literally a mm away from being able to lock it before the tool chews through the clamp. I found some 74.5mm clamps on Amazon that should work and they are the type I'm looking for.
Would please post INFO on the Amazon clap if it works?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The clamps from Amazon did not work. Even though they are marked 74.5mm, they are not an Oetiker brand and they are much larger than the Oetiker 75.9mm factory clamps.

Yamaha customer service STILL non existent (ie you cannot call them for some reason), and this small part has made it so I now have a $12k paper weight. Still no dealers can offer any solutions other than the cheap aftermarket clamps that destroy the boot instantly upon installation.

It seems really silly but I'm ready to go to a Honda now. Yamaha has not only screwed up majorly on their parts but their dealers are totally uneducated and they don't have customer service you can call.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
772 Posts
Sorry for the bad luck and thanks for keeping us posted on this. I'm not sure Honda is going to be much better, parts shortages are across all manufacturers. As well as new inexperienced help. Honda does make solid stuff, I would miss the sound of the three-cylinder though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I haven't mentioned here is that the clamps provided to me in summer of 2019 with the CV boot kits I purchased then were too small as well. Because I never bought the tool 2.5 years ago, I put the clamps in a drawer and forgot about them until this incident. I destroyed all the clamps trying to install, as they were just too small.

A bit of good news, I did finally report the issue to Yamaha and the girl I spoke with understood the issue and has forwarded pictures to their service dept. We shall see where this goes. I told her they are my lifeline at this point so if they cannot fix the issue, I'm jumping ship and never buying another Yamaha product.

I should not have to buy new axles because a $20 boot failed that I consider to be routine maintenance anyways. I should not have to settle for inferior aftermarket parts that do not last as long or leak because the clamps provided are cheap, and tear into the boot. I have no intentions of adding more power I just want my factory Yamaha CV axles to be serviceable like they have been on every other Yamaha machine I've owned.

Here are the pictures comparing the markings on the original clamp installed by the factory and the one provided in the kit from Yamaha as a replacement.
Post-it note Handwriting Rectangle Finger Material property

Handwriting Automotive tire Post-it note Font Material property

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally heard back from Yamaha this week. The rep at the customer care line is only able to email with their technical department per corporate policy. She called me to tell me the size was correct on the new clamp. Keep in mind I sent them the pictures that are attached above. I said, "With all due respect, you saw the same pictures I did. I confirmed in the Oetiker catalog the stamping indicates the size of the clamp. They are clearly different. No person that is sound of mind could possibly disagree with that." She responded that all I could really do was beg a local dealer to call in, as they are the only ones that have "authorization" to speak with Yamaha tech services. They are so full of themselves. I am a Master Automotive Technician by trade. I have fixed much more complicated problems in my day than this and now they have insulted my intelligence.

Not only will this ultimately lead to the machine getting traded in, but I will make sure everyone I meet on the trail knows my experience with Yamaha. Not only was I swept under the rug as if I wasn't worthy of their help, but they dismissed my pictures as if they weren't real too. I bet you the guy/gal at tech services thinks I make bigfoot photos or something.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I finally heard back from Yamaha this week. The rep at the customer care line is only able to email with their technical department per corporate policy. She called me to tell me the size was correct on the new clamp. Keep in mind I sent them the pictures that are attached above. I said, "With all due respect, you saw the same pictures I did. I confirmed in the Oetiker catalog the stamping indicates the size of the clamp. They are clearly different. No person that is sound of mind could possibly disagree with that." She responded that all I could really do was beg a local dealer to call in, as they are the only ones that have "authorization" to speak with Yamaha tech services. They are so full of themselves. I am a Master Automotive Technician by trade. I have fixed much more complicated problems in my day than this and now they have insulted my intelligence.

Not only will this ultimately lead to the machine getting traded in, but I will make sure everyone I meet on the trail knows my experience with Yamaha. Not only was I swept under the rug as if I wasn't worthy of their help, but they dismissed my pictures as if they weren't real too. I bet you the guy/gal at tech services thinks I make bigfoot photos or something.
You are a Master auto technician and your only solution to this is to trade the sxs in?

Let’s not make a mountain out of a mole hill here, this is way too simple to cause this much of an issue!

Dorman - OE Solutions 614-069 CV Joint Boot Band | eBay

Simple fix no special tools, pull tight with a set of vice grips and fold it over, once you fold it over you can tap the tangs down with a hammer, trim off the extra tail and VOILA!
Not oem Yamaha but it’s a damn clamp It won’t cut into the boot and will outlast the rubber boot it’s clamping!

·
Registered
103 Posts
You are a Master auto technician and your only solution to this is to trade the sxs in?

Let’s not make a mountain out of a mole hill here, this is way too simple to cause this much of an issue!

Dorman - OE Solutions 614-069 CV Joint Boot Band | eBay

Simple fix no special tools, pull tight with a set of vice grips and fold it over, once you fold it over you can tap the tangs down with a hammer, trim off the extra tail and VOILA!
Not oem Yamaha but it’s a damn clamp It won’t cut into the boot and will outlast the rubber boot it’s clamping!
I am also an auto mechanic.

I have used these once before. They DO NOT clamp the boot tight enough to keep the grease in, or to keep the water out.

They are useful on power steering bellows, but they are worthless on cv boots.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts