Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my review after about 15 miles riding at night and 40 during the day out at pismo:
While following the break in regulations it left much to be wanted, but for brief periods I held up to 6500-7000 and was extremely impressed. The suspension rode very well, but seemed slightly stiff for sand, but most likely is being the shocks are brand new and need to be broke in. Another point about the rear suspension, which was pointed out by my rzr friend, was on the lower arm front bushing would wear out quickly because it needs to rotate side to side allong with up and down... when I felt around the rubber cover it actually feels like a uniball so that solves that issue. The factory lights are fair for night riding, however for dune riding I suggest getting a bar. I am unsure if it is from lack of experience but on a few jumps it had nose dived, and one really hard because it was a steep short dune. I couldnt completly follow my friend on his rzr because this is my first sxs and I am still getting the hang of it.
A few fit and finish issues which I dont know if they are from the factory or dealer assembly, the driver door latch bolts backed out after the first few hours, tightened them and its good now, the Passanger door has the same problem.
The parking break warning light isnt that bright, and warning beep DOES NOT come on if you forget to take it off and attempt to start moving (maybe its meant to be like that because I had used the P-Brake to prevent roll back when stopped on a hill) but it WILL beep if you attempt to pull the brake while moving (wanted to do a small E-brake drift :p )
While on the note the warning/self check lights are fairly small, and not all that bright (except the diff-lock redundant light) so when going for long runs be sure to watch for them because they wont grab your attention.
Segway-ing again from that last point when shifting into diff-lock it takes a bit of time and often you need to roll foward and stop again for it to fully engage. It also has 2 lights for the diff-lock.
I am disappointed with the on-command (on-demand?) 2x4 to 4x4 shifting, I wish I could do it on the fly like polaris, but the 5 speed alone out-weighs that problem.
My biggest issue was after start up you have to let off the clutch in neutral before you can shift to first (cannot remember if this was every time of occationally) and somewhat related to that issue a few times I would be unable to downshift when I was comming to a stop, I need more seat time to determine what the cause it, but the bigger pain was once stopped it still wouldnt down shift so you cant return to neutral unless stalling it out, then it will shift normally.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a clarification, you cannot shift from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive on the fly in a razor, the engine rpms have to be under 3000 for it to engage.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a clarification, you cannot shift from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive on the fly in a razor, the engine rpms have to be under 3000 for it to engage.
I am aware of that, I still consider that "on the fly" in my book, because you still are moving at 3 grand vs a complete stop and half minute wait with the yxz.

·
Registered
505 Posts
When I drove my buddies, I noticed when I wanted shift to neutral. I shifted forward until I hit first then I pulled like a half pull back like I was upshifting & it went into neutral. I only drove it once but it seemed like it was identical to a motorcycle/quad gear box except you were using a hand shifter instead of a foot lever.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The front diff lock will engage easier with time. It has some break in also. After it is good and broken in it will engage the front locker smoothly and immediately. It was the same way with the rhino. My brothers Tacoma was the same way also. Brand new the locker did not want to engage. After a little use the locker would engage fine.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Do you have to be stopped to put it in 4wd ? I had a rhino, but that was so long ago I forget. LoL

I know you had to be stopped to put it in front diff lock mode.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
This is also the first time I have heard mention of an e-brake.

I know some of the Rzr guys installed rest wheel brake levers on theirs so they can get the corbering drift started a little sooner.
Does this e brake worj on just the rear wheels , or is it some kind of transmission lock down. ?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
This is also the first time I have heard mention of an e-brake.

I know some of the Rzr guys installed rest wheel brake levers on theirs so they can get the corbering drift started a little sooner.
Does this e brake worj on just the rear wheels , or is it some kind of transmission lock down. ?
I read that it uses the hydraulic calipers like the foot brake. Not sure if it's 2 or 4 wheels though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read that it uses the hydraulic calipers like the foot brake. Not sure if it's 2 or 4 wheels though.
theres a 5th disc infront of the rear diff, so I assume thats the parking brake.

The thing handled great! I am very impressed with it.
The yxz is my first sxs so I am still taking it easy to get the hang of how it drives (very different than my cclb diesel) so I cannot give yall a fair comparison on how the yxz feels vs riding allong in my buddys xp1K because he has more seat time than me and just rips around better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts