Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
136 Posts
Yep - was going to go up this weekend and took it down the road to top off the gas and grab a coffee and heard that racket. Turned around asap and pulled it apart and pulling tranny today/tomorrow. Weller is close so that's helpful too..

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
136 Posts
I think my cousin missed a shift from second to third and ground the dogs off. It was fine when I parked it and then I loaned it to him and his girlfriend, everything was fine until then. I actually also note now that I have all the panels off - that the noise is only on the input/flywheel side from the motor and when the clutch is engaged (pedal) - there is no noise. When I leave it in neutral and let the cutch out - it will rattle/tic at the same 3k rpm as I saw in 3rd. The difference was the sound level in 3rd was low so I could easily hear it and in 4th, the RPM's were too low.. When I split the case I will know for sure..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I think my cousin missed a shift from second to third and ground the dogs off. It was fine when I parked it and then I loaned it to him and his girlfriend, everything was fine until then. I actually also note now that I have all the panels off - that the noise is only on the input/flywheel side from the motor and when the clutch is engaged (pedal) - there is no noise. When I leave it in neutral and let the cutch out - it will rattle/tic at the same 3k rpm as I saw in 3rd. The difference was the sound level in 3rd was low so I could easily hear it and in 4th, the RPM's were too low.. When I split the case I will know for sure..
Keep us up to date on what you find when you split the case.
monty

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
136 Posts
That looks great!! I ended up boating all weekend so I got it to the point of pulling it, but just can't get motivated in the heat. It so much easier to hit the lake instead of sweating on it... It'll happen this weekend for sure - the gal is gone and this is the only thing on my agenda..

I am so ready to get up there - looks like a blast!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Spent a day and a half just trying to figure out the lay of the land out there. So many hills, and not enough time

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
136 Posts
I have an iPad with Gaia maps on it and it is so helpful - I couldn't imagine it otherwise... That was the dunes for me - massive and they all look the same.

With the kid at NAU - I'm sure you'll cover some ground :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
We were using all trails app. I’m sure we ran a few of the trails multiple times and missed 100’s of others and then out of the blue we’d roll up on something super cool and afterwards spend hours roaming aimlessly around trying to find it again. 😂 just out exploring

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
136 Posts
I will turn on tracking on mine and I get a GPS trail of my trip. It'll show on the map, I can even plan routes or trips - works better than the other GPS I had from Lowrance in my other buggy years ago.

I did an overlay of the track (it a gps track) on Google Earth or similar and it's cool to see the areas or show from a different perspective..

I'm tearing it apart tonight..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah I turned on the tracking, but I let my 16 yr son do most of the driving and I couldn’t focus on the screen as he was intent to hit EVERY whoop-de-doo at 40+mph… so I just put it down until it was time to head back to camp… each time we started out with a plan.. that quickly changed when he saw the first turn that would allow him to hold the pedal to the floor. By day 2 I finally think he heard me about finding a rhythm in the whoops

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
hay all 3 weeks and counting are you guys still camping on road 776?Jay what did you find on the trans repair 3rd gear. hope you got it repaired.Toddog nice picture looks like you had a good time hope that weather holds maybe some rain also.
monty

·
Registered
805 Posts
Well - 3rd gear is gone, pulling tranny and likely the dogs are wore off. Can't pinpoint when it started, but it is on the flywheel input side of the tranny and she's coming apart to get fixed for the Oct trip..

On stock 2016 gears, now is the time to switch it up. I'm running 30's and maybe the 2019 gearset would be fine for now. I think I can do this quickly..
That is a bummer. Maybe this helps a bit....

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
136 Posts
Hi everyone - I'm doing what I can to get this completed asap. The wear is on all of the dogs between gears (I think my other cousin was shifting on the power with no clutch.) Turns out that it was more than 3rd - pretty much 2-5th and 1st/reverse are fine.

I pulled the trigger on a '19 gearset and the rest of the rebuild parts. Some RMATV and others at PartZilla since they wouldn't be in stock until mid/late Oct.

My entire parts roll-up is about $680 and I swap every gear on the output side with the rest in really good shape. I caught it in time which really helped - there wasn't much in the strainer or the pan when drained, but there were some good size chunks off the dogs that were in the bottom of the case.

Parts should be here by end of week or mid next week, getting it out was a chore - but I learned A LOT doing it and what not to do and the easy things.

I'm confident I'll have it fixed in time - whether I'll be coming up in a toy hauler will be the question... Looks like my cousin may be going back to Oklahoma for family early...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Hi everyone - I'm doing what I can to get this completed asap. The wear is on all of the dogs between gears (I think my other cousin was shifting on the power with no clutch.) Turns out that it was more than 3rd - pretty much 2-5th and 1st/reverse are fine.

I pulled the trigger on a '19 gearset and the rest of the rebuild parts. Some RMATV and others at PartZilla since they wouldn't be in stock until mid/late Oct.

My entire parts roll-up is about $680 and I swap every gear on the output side with the rest in really good shape. I caught it in time which really helped - there wasn't much in the strainer or the pan when drained, but there were some good size chunks off the dogs that were in the bottom of the case.

Parts should be here by end of week or mid next week, getting it out was a chore - but I learned A LOT doing it and what not to do and the easy things.

I'm confident I'll have it fixed in time - whether I'll be coming up in a toy hauler will be the question... Looks like my cousin may be going back to Oklahoma for family early...
Sound good Jay hope the rest go'es smooth.My buddy had the 2019 gear set installed when we went down to weller I think it was about 1500.00 parts and labor He likes it say the trans shift a lot smoother and quieter.I think you will like the gear change.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts