Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Well gents - I am pressing hard to get this transmission done, but ran into issues on the first run.

The dog noise is gone, but now it sounds like a bearing or oiling issue. It increases as RPM goes up and only when in gear so it has to do with shafts spinning. Right now it's looking like the tranny is coming out of the YXZ tonight and I'll split the case tonight/tomorrow and see what parts are needed and what I can do.

I did like the '19 gearing though for the brief time I tested it - first was lower for sure and second through the rest felt about spot on. Just need to get rid of my transmission goblins..

I'd say - unless there is a miracle this week, I'll not be making it :(
Perhaps the output damper shaft is bent. Sorry to hear you are still having problems. At least you like the gear change!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Damm that is not good news I hope it all comes together.I will do the gear change next year.We will plan a trip to glamis sand dunes and drop in at weller and have them install the 19 gear set.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My son and I planning on camping up there again this week from Thursday thru Saturday.. Tent camping 🏕 before it gets to cold. Lows look to be in the range of 39-41 at night.. so it’s getting cold up there

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
My son and I planning on camping up there again this week from Thursday thru Saturday.. Tent camping 🏕 before it gets to cold. Lows look to be in the range of 39-41 at night.. so it’s getting cold up there
Tdogg hold on one more day and we will be there to meet with you guys.We should be there on the10th Saturdy I hope.We will stay the night at Big Dunes Navada just outside of deathvalley that will leave about 200 miles to cinders.
Monty

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
What time are you leaving on Sturday we hope to be there by 1;00 or 2;00 pm where are you camping.
wr450

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
220 Posts
I'm trying hard to meet you guys up there - it's sounding like bent shift forks (I guess it goes hand in hand with my one cousin shifting on the power - dogs/shift forks bent).

I really like the gearing - the noise is mainly isolated to 2nd/3rd with some in 4th/reverse. It all points to bent shift forks IMO... Tranny gets pulled today and split - should be able to get parts in by the weekend 🤞

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I'm trying hard to meet you guys up there - it's sounding like bent shift forks (I guess it goes hand in hand with my one cousin shifting on the power - dogs/shift forks bent).

I really like the gearing - the noise is mainly isolated to 2nd/3rd with some in 4th/reverse. It all points to bent shift forks IMO... Tranny gets pulled today and split - should be able to get parts in by the weekend 🤞
Cool hope you can make it.Looking forward to meeting everone.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I pulled the trigger on more parts today from RMATV which should arrive Friday. If all goes well, I might have it working by Sunday. 🤞
Did you find the issue or just taking an educated guess?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I pulled the trigger on more parts today from RMATV which should arrive Friday. If all goes well, I might have it working by Sunday. 🤞
Sounds good Jay I hope all goe;s well if you can't get the yxz going just bring your KTM .Doe's any body know if they have rentalls around the cinders area just a thought .x

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Ok before I prep and load my car up tomorrow and drive up from Phoenix, is anyone going to be in the Cinders Saturday at this point?
Ok before I prep and load my car up tomorrow and drive up from Phoenix, is anyone going to be in the Cinders Saturday at this point?
I should be there by Sunday we will leave on Sat,10/9/21 plan to be there sunday 10/10/21 most likly late afternoon.
Monty

·
Registered
2020 ss
20 Posts
Been lurking on this topic cause I hope to check out cinders at some point-maybe next year. We are in the process of moving to Tucson area and anything fun related has come to a grinding halt. Hopefully I can tag along with some of u guys who know it as I’ve never been. I’m a glamis guy usually.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
220 Posts
Well - I'm now waiting for the last piece to my puzzle and can perhaps make it up there. Monty - I can do texts but I'm going to visit my cell store to see why the phone part is whacky and not working..

Crossing fingers - I should be getting my parts and be done Wed. My Belville washer for the clutch is wasted and was causing my clutch basket to have no gap. The only way it spun was with the clutch pushed in. Probably an error on my part as I was rushing - was uber careful the first time..

I did find that the smaller shift fork was bent which was causing my problem - makes sense as well.. I will say that taking the tranny in/out twice in a couple weeks you pick up a few tricks - the tranny itself is not fun and I would say a 2 person gig unless you hate yourself. I'm trying really hard to get it going!

Monty - Crossing my fingers you get your bugs worked out.
Jay

·
Registered
836 Posts
Glad you found the problem and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
220 Posts
Glad you found the problem and thanks for sharing.
Summary is:
  • Cousin was up-shifting my 3 pedal using no clutch and not letting off the gas (power shifting).
  • Dogs on the drive side of most gears were wore off pretty bad so gears had to be replaced
  • Upgraded to a '19 gearset as I was swapping most gears
  • Identified small shift fork was bent and replaced as well as proactive on large shift forks and shafts
  • Install error - belville washer for clutch was compressed too far and require replacement
  • Washer and nut ordered overnight and will reinstall and torque to spec and check tolerance with feeler gauge.
So - don't shift on the power unless you can sync the tranny gears, you will likely beat up dogs and bend some shift forks...

81 - 100 of 125 Posts