Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Did you send your cousin the bill for the parts and labor. I tell people that drive my guest machine they MUST use the clutch to avoid causing me shop time and costing them money for the parts. So far it has worked and no gear problems on my guest machine in over 10K miles. Doesn't take long for a dumbass to wreck a trans.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
220 Posts
Yes - it is a growing bill (minus the '19 gear change cost delta), and the labor itself is adding up.

This is a hard lesson learned - I wasn't in the car or would have immediately caught it, insurance would have but I wanted to go '19 as well so I jumped in personally. Had I stayed at '16 gears it would have been dropped off for a bill to be handed to him.. The things we do for family...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Yes - it is a growing bill (minus the '19 gear change cost delta), and the labor itself is adding up.

This is a hard lesson learned - I wasn't in the car or would have immediately caught it, insurance would have but I wanted to go '19 as well so I jumped in personally. Had I stayed at '16 gears it would have been dropped off for a bill to be handed to

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Where was everone I was at cinders for 2days should could have uesd some guidance. Did not know the area.Man you can get lost up there we packed up and went to Big Dunes in Nevada nice dunning if you guys want a good place to go to for sand dunes Big dunes or Winnemucca Nevada very few people and miles of sand dunes.Best time to go is mid September or early October.All in all we had a good time at cinders almost no body up there.Went down to Weller had them do a high altitude tune with a switch for low altitude.(rich lean switch) A/F ran 11.1 up at cinders and 10.9 at big dunes Weller is the best at tuning these Yamaha they droped what they doing and got me going what a geart place.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
220 Posts
Monty - I was really bummed I couldn't make it up there, I'm pulling the tranny for the 3rd time now to get the last bugs out. Should have done it all from the beginning, but didn't realize the damage my cousin had done..

We'll hook up for sure sometime - I had it all ready until he borrowed it to run to the store and the tranny had issues from then on..

The gang at Weller are top notch - hard to find the place as it's tucked away, but nice folks..

Sorry you came all the way out and it was a bust - what needed resolved to get you going again down at Weller other than improving the tune?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Monty - I was really bummed I couldn't make it up there, I'm pulling the tranny for the 3rd time now to get the last bugs out. Should have done it all from the beginning, but didn't realize the damage my cousin had done..

We'll hook up for sure sometime - I had it all ready until he borrowed it to run to the store and the tranny had issues from then on..

The gang at Weller are top notch - hard to find the place as it's tucked away, but nice folks..

Sorry you came all the way out and it was a bust - what needed resolved to get you going again down at Weller other than improving the tune?
Major brain fart air filter was in backwards it is the new turbo double filter When I checked it for service I did not payattention to the install position they got me going and did the rich lean tune for me and a new battery.Sometimes it is the smallest things that cause the big problems.Wellrer is class AAAA place for your Yamaha service needs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Where was everone I was at cinders for 2days should could have uesd some guidance. Did not know the area.Man you can get lost up there we packed up and went to Big Dunes in Nevada nice dunning if you guys want a good place to go to for sand dunes Big dunes or Winnemucca Nevada very few people and miles of sand dunes.Best time to go is mid September or early October.All in all we had a good time at cinders almost no body up there.Went down to Weller had them do a high altitude tune with a switch for low altitude.(rich lean switch) A/F ran 11.1 up at cinders and 10.9 at big dunes Weller is the best at tuning these Yamaha they droped what they doing and got me going what a geart place.
I am sorry I missed you, after it seemed everyone had dropped out for one reason or another I didn't want to prep and make the 4-hour drive if no one was going to be up there. I never got a response until after I committed to watching my granddaughter so my son could work on his class 11 car he is prepping for the Mint 400. All of that being said I have a little video we created from Labor Day, maybe this will be helpful to you next time you come out, my buddy just finished editing it finally.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I am sorry I missed you, after it seemed everyone had dropped out for one reason or another I didn't want to prep and make the 4-hour drive if no one was going to be up there. I never got a response until after I committed to watching my granddaughter so my son could work on his class 11 car he is prepping for the Mint 400. All of that being said I have a little video we created from Labor Day, maybe this will be helpful to you next time you come out, my buddy just finished editing it finally.

Nice video I wish you were up there we did not ride any of the trails on that video.We did climb a big ass hill in the little basin off of road 776 sign said 5 miles to little basin.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Great video!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I’m sorry I couldn’t make it up there. My 16 year old son couldn’t get “interested” enough to help me pack the equipment and change all the fluids, so I was like screw it, we won’t go camping then ( plus it got a little cold for the tents) I don’t have a camper yet so I’m limited to tent camping and kind of draw the line at freezing temps with no electricity. I do love the place though and will be back in the early spring

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I’m sorry I couldn’t make it up there. My 16 year old son couldn’t get “interested” enough to help me pack the equipment and change all the fluids, so I was like screw it, we won’t go camping then ( plus it got a little cold for the tents) I don’t have a camper yet so I’m limited to tent camping and kind of draw the line at freezing temps with no electricity. I do love the place though and will be back in the early spring
You are wright it was 18 at night, day time it got to65 to 68 but when that sun went down look out.even in my camper it was cold 2 sleeping bags and a dog HA HA .the desert was much warmer 50 at night 70 day time.We were cutting across the desert to the sand dune and run across a big ass ostrich.Unreal

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
220 Posts
Monty,
Got the transmission done today and installed. Test ride was awesome and it was smooth as butter, not a hickup. I can say after pulling/installing it and tearing it apart 3 times in the last month - I have it dialed in now. Final outcome was dogs on almost all gears were wasted, big shift forks or tube was bent, small shift fork was bent and damaged the gear so a new gear, fork and tube.

I've been up past midnight installing plastics and was just beat. That's 10 hours today on it, glad I'm not paying someone..

She'll be rolling by this weekend for sure!

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
220 Posts
So this trip to Cinders has come and passed...

I was really bummed I was dealing with a tranny issue and couldn't make it up.

To anyone and everyone who was there, been there, has videos or pics of the area - please post them up! I've still not been and have been living vicariously through you!!

I did want to close on my tranny repair and '19 gear change. Beforehand, I was running a '16 3-pedal with OEM gearing and BFG 30x10x14 KM3 on DWG Sector BL. This is on a Non-turbo (NA) car that's tuned.

I had dog issues, bent shift forks and shafts, and it took 3 times to fix each issue in succession. Like peeling back the layers of an onion. Learned alot and have zero fear of the transmission now, got the tricks for an uber easy in/out of car, but - I hope to not experience it again 😅..

So new large and small shift forks and shafts. Gears with wear, bad dogs, or were getting replaced with '19 version/tooth count. I can definitely feel the gearing difference. First feels way lower. I have a Rekluse clutch and use 2nd now most of the time to start off as 1-2 is such a short shift. 2-5 gear I see about a 3 mph difference on speedo vs gps. Essentially the speedo reads 53 and car is actually going 50 by gps. There is a larger gap between 1 and 2. Like a wide ratio dirt bike (monty will know it for sure). The rest have the '19 reduction. I'd like 5th to be taller (OD). I have 28" paddles for the dunes and this might get me to a light 30. With the '16 gearing on 28" paddles I was constantly shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I kind of hope this will keep me in third mostly and the rest is good.. Local AZ terrain, the gearing is awesome (other than an OD for long dirt roads). I did a trip up the backside of Crown King and loved where I was geared relative to my rpm/power. For anyone who has been up there, there are a couple areas that sometimes challenge people and cars to get up and I hit a roadblock just like it. Many moved off to the side, I didn't need to lock a diff, picked my line and it crawled up without a hitch. The gearing before was taller and I would have needed more speed or a small run at it - nailed it.. I'd say I can get down to 5 mph.

Am I happy - absolutely! Does it feel like a set of 32" tires would be great for open desert (if they fit lol). Granted - I'm not running a turbo with extra power (yet?) - it won't win a drag race but for a 1000 na, it's still plenty fast on the trail. I'm digging it and can say that I still get the classic YXZ tranny clunk at times, but when it's moving right - it's buttery smooth.

Jason

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
So this trip to Cinders has come and passed...

I was really bummed I was dealing with a tranny issue and couldn't make it up.

To anyone and everyone who was there, been there, has videos or pics of the area - please post them up! I've still not been and have been living vicariously through you!!

I did want to close on my tranny repair and '19 gear change. Beforehand, I was running a '16 3-pedal with OEM gearing and BFG 30x10x14 KM3 on DWG Sector BL. This is on a Non-turbo (NA) car that's tuned.

I had dog issues, bent shift forks and shafts, and it took 3 times to fix each issue in succession. Like peeling back the layers of an onion. Learned alot and have zero fear of the transmission now, got the tricks for an uber easy in/out of car, but - I hope to not experience it again 😅..

So new large and small shift forks and shafts. Gears with wear, bad dogs, or were getting replaced with '19 version/tooth count. I can definitely feel the gearing difference. First feels way lower. I have a Rekluse clutch and use 2nd now most of the time to start off as 1-2 is such a short shift. 2-5 gear I see about a 3 mph difference on speedo vs gps. Essentially the speedo reads 53 and car is actually going 50 by gps. There is a larger gap between 1 and 2. Like a wide ratio dirt bike (monty will know it for sure). The rest have the '19 reduction. I'd like 5th to be taller (OD). I have 28" paddles for the dunes and this might get me to a light 30. With the '16 gearing on 28" paddles I was constantly shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I kind of hope this will keep me in third mostly and the rest is good.. Local AZ terrain, the gearing is awesome (other than an OD for long dirt roads). I did a trip up the backside of Crown King and loved where I was geared relative to my rpm/power. For anyone who has been up there, there are a couple areas that sometimes challenge people and cars to get up and I hit a roadblock just like it. Many moved off to the side, I didn't need to lock a diff, picked my line and it crawled up without a hitch. The gearing before was taller and I would have needed more speed or a small run at it - nailed it.. I'd say I can get down to 5 mph.

Am I happy - absolutely! Does it feel like a set of 32" tires would be great for open desert (if they fit lol). Granted - I'm not running a turbo with extra power (yet?) - it won't win a drag race but for a 1000 na, it's still plenty fast on the trail. I'm digging it and can say that I still get the classic YXZ tranny clunk at times, but when it's moving right - it's buttery smooth.

Jason
Jay I sent some photos of cinders, One big hill had snow down the middle of the trail it was a big hill we did not climb it due to the snow looked like a slip and slide deal so we past.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
101 - 120 of 125 Posts