Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
So this trip to Cinders has come and passed...

I was really bummed I was dealing with a tranny issue and couldn't make it up.

To anyone and everyone who was there, been there, has videos or pics of the area - please post them up! I've still not been and have been living vicariously through you!!

I did want to close on my tranny repair and '19 gear change. Beforehand, I was running a '16 3-pedal with OEM gearing and BFG 30x10x14 KM3 on DWG Sector BL. This is on a Non-turbo (NA) car that's tuned.

I had dog issues, bent shift forks and shafts, and it took 3 times to fix each issue in succession. Like peeling back the layers of an onion. Learned alot and have zero fear of the transmission now, got the tricks for an uber easy in/out of car, but - I hope to not experience it again 😅..

So new large and small shift forks and shafts. Gears with wear, bad dogs, or were getting replaced with '19 version/tooth count. I can definitely feel the gearing difference. First feels way lower. I have a Rekluse clutch and use 2nd now most of the time to start off as 1-2 is such a short shift. 2-5 gear I see about a 3 mph difference on speedo vs gps. Essentially the speedo reads 53 and car is actually going 50 by gps. There is a larger gap between 1 and 2. Like a wide ratio dirt bike (monty will know it for sure). The rest have the '19 reduction. I'd like 5th to be taller (OD). I have 28" paddles for the dunes and this might get me to a light 30. With the '16 gearing on 28" paddles I was constantly shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I kind of hope this will keep me in third mostly and the rest is good.. Local AZ terrain, the gearing is awesome (other than an OD for long dirt roads). I did a trip up the backside of Crown King and loved where I was geared relative to my rpm/power. For anyone who has been up there, there are a couple areas that sometimes challenge people and cars to get up and I hit a roadblock just like it. Many moved off to the side, I didn't need to lock a diff, picked my line and it crawled up without a hitch. The gearing before was taller and I would have needed more speed or a small run at it - nailed it.. I'd say I can get down to 5 mph.

Am I happy - absolutely! Does it feel like a set of 32" tires would be great for open desert (if they fit lol). Granted - I'm not running a turbo with extra power (yet?) - it won't win a drag race but for a 1000 na, it's still plenty fast on the trail. I'm digging it and can say that I still get the classic YXZ tranny clunk at times, but when it's moving right - it's buttery smooth.

Jason
I think I’m in the same boat except 16 stock everything no exhaust or tune. Pure stock. I can putt on level ground at 5mph but to slow climb I have to be between 8-10 mph and if starts bogging the motor sounds horrible so it’s “pick a line, cross your fingers and gas it” honestly just trying to get it back up on my trailer in my garage at the end of the day is more of a challenge.. lol
I’ll get every last mile out of the stock tranny before I sink the money into a 19 gear set, but I’m sure I’ll like even more ( just hoping that until then, I don’t tear up the front end steering or suspension with my bump and goooooo strategy) I probably need to carry spare control arms as I just helped a guy last week who snapped one, about 5 miles out into Bulldog Canyon where there was no way he gonna get a truck out to it. 5th gear OD sounds like a solid plan as well for those long fast straight aways and highway time. Someday I’ll hit you up for all the tricks you learned with doing 3 back to back R&R’s.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I think I’m in the same boat except 16 stock everything no exhaust or tune. Pure stock. I can putt on level ground at 5mph but to slow climb I have to be between 8-10 mph and if starts bogging the motor sounds horrible so it’s “pick a line, cross your fingers and gas it” honestly just trying to get it back up on my trailer in my garage at the end of the day is more of a challenge.. lol
I’ll get every last mile out of the stock tranny before I sink the money into a 19 gear set, but I’m sure I’ll like even more ( just hoping that until then, I don’t tear up the front end steering or suspension with my bump and goooooo strategy) I probably need to carry spare control arms as I just helped a guy last week who snapped one, about 5 miles out into Bulldog Canyon where there was no way he gonna get a truck out to it. 5th gear OD sounds like a solid plan as well for those long fast straight aways and highway time. Someday I’ll hit you up for all the tricks you learned with doing 3 back to back R&R’s.
Turbo and a heavy flywheel .good low end and pulls like a top fuel dragster. I have the 16 stock gears and slow going is no problem with the hess flywheel.My buddy has the 19 gear set in his 16 and we went up this one hill that had rocks at the top and mine worked as good as his slow rock crawling.The nice thing about a turbo you can back all the way out of the throttle and just roll it back on and it picks wright back up no bog you just go.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
220 Posts
Yep - turbo is in my future, especially with dune season here.. If I had gone turbo first - I would have stayed with the '16 gearing. Since I was in the tranny and replacing most of the gears - I just went '19 as I was already running 30" tires and could feel it struggle on some hills when slow..

I do have a Rekluse clutch in mine though and that went in within the first month. I had them in my dirt bikes (it was a cheater and I loved it - made almost any bike unstallable).. Put it in the YXZ and @Tdogg - loading is soooo easy. I have it set so that at about 1800 rpm the clutch pack starts to widen and the YXZ starts to move forward with the clutch feathering the power based on the rpm. I can now just roll up to the trailer, foot off the clutch and slowly crawl up by increasing the rpm. Total game changer everywhere... It acts like a normal clutch if you are using the pedal and spinning the motor above 2k or so, don't use the pedal and just stab the brakes - it stays running (albiet in the last gear you were in). There is no bump starting anymore though - one trade off..

@Tdogg - I'm up and running again so if you want to connect and go for a ride, I'm free. I can go any day of the week right now until the end of the year. You can give mine a rip and see how it feels compared to yours too. My mother is down in Mesa so I could come down that way one morn and we could go out east and I'd visit her on my way home. I'm also up in Cave Creek area so about 15 minutes from Table Mesa area. I typically just take the YXZ from the house to Table Mesa and then come back - don't have to trailer it either..

I also have a Alba heavy flywheel that I will likely not use (got it for a steal on Offer Up) that you could give a whirl. It might help with the slower climbing and motor bogging..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Yep - turbo is in my future, especially with dune season here.. If I had gone turbo first - I would have stayed with the '16 gearing. Since I was in the tranny and replacing most of the gears - I just went '19 as I was already running 30" tires and could feel it struggle on some hills when slow..

I do have a Rekluse clutch in mine though and that went in within the first month. I had them in my dirt bikes (it was a cheater and I loved it - made almost any bike unstallable).. Put it in the YXZ and @Tdogg - loading is soooo easy. I have it set so that at about 1800 rpm the clutch pack starts to widen and the YXZ starts to move forward with the clutch feathering the power based on the rpm. I can now just roll up to the trailer, foot off the clutch and slowly crawl up by increasing the rpm. Total game changer everywhere... It acts like a normal clutch if you are using the pedal and spinning the motor above 2k or so, don't use the pedal and just stab the brakes - it stays running (albiet in the last gear you were in). There is no bump starting anymore though - one trade off..

@Tdogg - I'm up and running again so if you want to connect and go for a ride, I'm free. I can go any day of the week right now until the end of the year. You can give mine a rip and see how it feels compared to yours too. My mother is down in Mesa so I could come down that way one morn and we could go out east and I'd visit her on my way home. I'm also up in Cave Creek area so about 15 minutes from Table Mesa area. I typically just take the YXZ from the house to Table Mesa and then come back - don't have to trailer it either..

I also have a Alba heavy flywheel that I will likely not use (got it for a steal on Offer Up) that you could give a whirl. It might help with the slower climbing and motor bogging..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am sorry I missed you, after it seemed everyone had dropped out for one reason or another I didn't want to prep and make the 4-hour drive if no one was going to be up there. I never got a response until after I committed to watching my granddaughter so my son could work on his class 11 car he is prepping for the Mint 400. All of that being said I have a little video we created from Labor Day, maybe this will be helpful to you next time you come out, my buddy just finished editing it finally.

Awesome video

121 - 125 of 125 Posts