Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Agree. It was built to be fun. I think Yamaha succeeded. Love my YXZ.

Have no idea why the Wildcat or PoPo would take whoops better than YXZ. I get the extra wheel base but still. Makes you want to believe the YXZ suspension wasn't setup properly first. You can get the suspension working a lot better if adjusted for your driving style

The wildcat, po po and canned ham all have rear trailing arm suspension similar to a trophy truck. It has to do with leverage points and shock/spring location on that trailing arm. That set up works very well in whoops or big bumps compared to the YXZ rear A arm style. The YXZ rear A arm style makes for good cornering similar to sports cars. You don’t see trophy truck suspension on any type of vehicle that does a lot of cornering, mostly high speed straight runs over rough terrain. The good handling of the YXZ is due to that style of rear A arm set up. I wish my YXZ could handle the big whoops like a trophy truck, but it corners and handles well in the dunes and desert. I’m not trading the ability to drive over whoops for good handling and stability. Most of my driving is out in the beautiful dunes at Glamis listening to that turbo make boost!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
The turbo rzr I drove felt just like every other rzr just with twice the power, poopy cheap interior, same wobbly shitty seats theyve always had, terrible body roll, the only difference was that its a fast problem ridden deathtrap lol,

He smoked me in the dirt, but not as bad as I thought, I was in 4wd hoping to get a little jump but it killed me in the long run anyway, the Z gets it in the turns and feels so much more controllable and like an actual sports car, traded my last ever poo mobile for my Z and have no regerts

After a total frame swap, these frames are just build like shit. Bad/unfinished welds all over, splatter on everything even visible stuff, and the "roof support" is just pathetic but it saved my ass so it did its job

I drove my car 1k+ miles with the frame bent, wheelbase on passenger side was 5in. Shorter than the driver side, I never let up I think I jumped it farther like that than ever lol, what put the ring on the finger was even after that at 3kish miles my bushings were perfectly fine, all the bearings everything, it was like nothing ever happened, i burnt clutches once(no more mud) neglected to check tranny oil and locked a bearing up(boat hatch things) and broke teeth off first gear(be careful where I grab 2nd while the revvy sings lol), just replaced my first set of brakes 3300 miles. I'll have one ball joint to replace soon. And a leaky shock,

Ive road in them all and the Z is the only choice for me

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s really apples and oranges. At altitude in Colorado, the Polaris Turbo motor, suspension and auto transmission are a big deal.

You really don’t want to get caught at 10,000 feet elevation at Taylor Park, on a rocky trail, with inadequate power - or having to paddle shift. Or in Telluride looking down a 2,000 foot cliff hoping your 800 cc Yamaha will make it (i.e. my Wolverine with gear) plus not having nearly enough ground clearance - and literally scraping your way across the trails - such as Moab.

Yamaha builds a fantastic machine - just not the winner when it comes to trail riding at altitude. That’s the market share difference - at least in CO, UT, etc.

Yes - you can add a turbo to the Yamaha - but most riders are not gear heads - and it’s at least $8k more - and it’s not factory direct.

Plus, it doesn’t help that 10% comes right off the top (sales price) and sent back to Japan by Yamaha. That doesn’t include parts. Unfortunately, American labor is only a fraction of the total cost to build.

It’s just the rest of the story is all - if interested.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I own both a 16 Poo and a 20 Yxz. There are things I like better about both, but if I only could have one the Poo would get sold. The shifting, quality, tripple motor, and more stable ride put the Yami on top for me. There is no question the Poo has the smoother ride but also has much more body roll and feels more top heavy. Listening to the drone of the cvt all day just puts me to sleep. The paddle shift Yami is just so much more fun to drive, no question.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is the second thread i am replying to about this subject. Come take a ride in my 2020 XP4 Turbo S then go ride in the YXZ and TRY to tell me they are comparable. The polaris rattles yes and that is where the negatives stop. Some of the older polaris models were built much much worse and i get that but like someone else said its comparing apples to oranges. You cant really compare them as Yamaha doesnt make anything to compete with the 4 seat turbos. I can make a HUGE list of things i like about the yamaha over the polaris and vice versa but at the end of the day they are just different machines. As i said before i still own a 2019 YXZ SS, so i am very familiar with both machines. I wish Yamaha came out with something for the family but apparently there "isnt a market" for them.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I own both a 16 Poo and a 20 Yxz. There are things I like better about both, but if I only could have one the Poo would get sold. The shifting, quality, tripple motor, and more stable ride put the Yami on top for me. There is no question the Poo has the smoother ride but also has much more body roll and feels more top heavy. Listening to the drone of the cvt all day just puts me to sleep. The paddle shift Yami is just so much more fun to drive, no question.
Got to keep the YXZ! Epic machine! Do try the New XP Pro at some point. A whole different animal vs. a ‘16 or even an ‘18 Poo. There’s no drone with a ‘18 Turbo Dynamix. You just don’t want to accelerate off a cliff. I’ll end up with a new Wolverine (1000 cc for the family) and a new XP Pro. Best of both worlds. Still ready for the next gen YXZ :). Yamaha’s product development team is the slowest on the planet.

- The ‘18 Poo transmission chatter is just brutal.

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts