Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decent day on the east coast, some snow on the trails but decided to take the YXZ out anyway. Bad choice, going through a good whoop section under 25 mph rear end slid setting us off track causing the nose to dive and ass end to bounce high digging the nose in the sand rolling ass over nose. Needless to say we made it out safe but I am amazed how little it took to bend the roll bars like a pretzel!! I was expecting so much more strength out of that cage. Word to the wise get an aftermarket cage ASAP!!

· Premium Member
3,623 Posts
Decent day on the east coast, some snow on the trails but decided to take the YXZ out anyway. Bad choice, going through a good whoop section under 25 mph rear end slid setting us off track causing the nose to dive and ass end to bounce high digging the nose in the sand rolling ass over nose. Needless to say we made it out safe but I am amazed how little it took to bend the roll bars like a pretzel!! I was expecting so much more strength out of that cage. Word to the wise get an aftermarket cage ASAP!!
Glad no one was hurt. The YXZ cage is certainly much better then some of the other OEM's but anything can bend. I rolled my cat with an aftermarket chromolly cage and it bent as well. If you walked away the cage did its job, end of story. Machines can always be fixed.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
I believe the UTVinc cage will be much stronger... So that is one route to consider.

And, it does sound like the cage done it's job well for you too, So, if you want to go back with a cheaper fix, just buy a used OEM cage.
You can always weld a few intrusion bars in there somewhere.

Like many have said... Your Safety is what's important, not what it looks like after an accident. LoL

Did you doors stay closed during the jolt?

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After the roll we quickly flipped the Y back over without taking a pic(now looking back wish I did) but once upright the drivers door wouldn't open easily. After some yanking it opened but wouldn't close. After removing the cage the doors worked perfect, no issues while riding after cage remove. I do think the frame bar that goes under the drivers door is slightly tweaked but fixable. The bolting location for the cage to the body by the steering wheel is clearly bent but also fixable. If someone can tell me how to post a pic? I'll get one on here.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
This may be a great post to talk about some ways we can strengthen the OEM cage.

I usually just add a "bracing kit" to the OEM xp1k cage... (I always replaced the xp900 completely tho)

But, with the xp1k, the canams, and now the yxz cage... I feel they are much sturdier than before, especially with a few well placed braces welded in.

I know on the more common xp1k, there are a couple of people out there offering these kits... does anyone know of someone offering up a kit for the yxz yet?

I have seen an intrusion bar, and have seen talk of these kits as well... just haven't heard if anyone has them out yet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.