Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing the Paiute Trail next month with a group of friends and looks like a few of the stretches will be pushing the limit on fuel. I have a roof/safari rack on my BCF cage and considering mounting a Rotopax up top. I have the Yamaha cargo box and the BCF spare tire carrier on the back, so that mounting option is out.

How tuff / leak proof are these things? I'm not trying to take a gasoline shower...

Looking for opinions / options

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire All-terrain vehicle Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
505 Posts
Rotopax are pretty tough but I don't like putting them in a location so if I were to lay it on its side or rollover them might get damaged. I haven't had one leak in the couple years I've had them but I also mount them upright. I would run a Rotopax verses any other IMO

·
Registered
379 Posts
i had a rear side mount without the tank on when i got hit and rolled over on the side. it ground 1/8" off mount surface where the tank would have been. i do not recommend mounting where it would get hit during on side or roll over. The tanks are very tough and don't leak under normal situation. i now have mine mounted on top of the spare tire on yamaha spare mount and feel it will survive most stuff. if it would leak it would go down on exhaust so down side where i have it too. if you have welded roof rack, that might be as good as any place but may not real handy to get too when needed? Good luck

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it figured out, thanks for the input. Had to ad a bit more preload on the springs with this setup though.

Auto part Vehicle Tire Car Suspension

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4 gallons. We are doing Paiute trail system in a few weeks with three of the way points being tent camping. Its a little extra insurance.

Ended up making the mount from old wrought iron fence mounts. Painted them black for now to see how it holds up.

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I am doing the Paiute Trail next month with a group of friends and looks like a few of the stretches will be pushing the limit on fuel. I have a roof/safari rack on my BCF cage and considering mounting a Rotopax up top. I have the Yamaha cargo box and the BCF spare tire carrier on the back, so that mounting option is out.

How tuff / leak proof are these things? I'm not trying to take a gasoline shower...

Looking for opinions / options

View attachment 109378 View attachment 109380
Been on this trail system many times (just returned two weeks ago), never hauled fuel ever. There are plenty of stops in small towns to fuel up if you plan your trip right. If you use Marysvale as your hub, you will be fine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are using Marysvale for two nights (Charlie & Lizzies), tent camping one night the Richfield that last night. The group I am going with is saying fuel is a must, the "leader" lived up there for a few years.

This is my first trip there, sounds like I may have spent a couple $100 for nothing.....

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If thats not enough fuel you know you can double stack those cans by adding extension to the mount. LOL
LOL, if I put anything else back there I will need to upgrade to leaf springs..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts