Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So two weeks ago I purchased Alba’s SBD kit, minus the cams. Since installing I have noticed that it has a rough idle on a cold start. It did not do this before but also I’m in Central Pennsylvania and in the last two weeks it has gotten a lot colder. I’ve also only owned the unit for about 3 months. It’s all stock other than the SBD kit.

It’s a 2016 R. Has 500 miles and about 40 hours on it. Also took a video of it, see the link below. Just curious if this is normal or not. I read about the cold start issues being common with these but it says a tune fixes that. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
631 Posts
They are very cold blooded beasts. Everything there sounds completely normal for a cold morning start. Everything is good after it warms up, right? It fired right up, so the tune is helping it start better at cold.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mines sounds the same. Before the kit if you tried to rev mine when cold it would sputter real bad and choke. Now I can rev it almost as soon as I start it. Mine idled much worse cold than your video before the kit.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You need to contact Graves and get their ecm flash. I have the Graves pipes and SBD spark arrestor, their flash is the best. I am here in Utah, does not run rough when cold. In addition, their flash changes the driveability of your YXZ. Don't ask me how they do it, but they have optimized the entire powercurve. With my 2019, more power at the bottom-end during crawling mode on up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your responses and help. Still learning all the little quirks and such of these beasts. I am coming off of riding motocross on Trx450r for the past 12 years, so I knew those things inside out, what was normal and what was not.

In regards to the Graves tune, or any of the popular tunes (E.G. Alba, Weller, Graves, PWRTune) has anyone conducted a comparison of each. So for instance, take a stock unit and try each of their tunes for a stock unit. Or maybe each of their tunes with just an exhaust system. I would imagine though that it would be like splitting hairs.
I can say that I am really pleased with the Alba SBD kit as a whole. The machine is much smoother to drive at low speeds. The throttle response is crisp and you can definitely feel the power increase. It just really opens up the machine.

@fortrdb @Hunter @sandman89 @rsessions

1 - 6 of 6 Posts