Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked a few times, but apparently all sand dunes are not created equal. I live and ride at Little Sahara Oklahoma sand dunes. My question is what is the top 3 sand tires for a 2016 yxz1000r with Weller exhaust and tune, Velocity stacks, Super ATV lighten flywheel, and soon to have some viper cams. I know scats are the best for drag racing but I worry about punchers in the tires. Is STU's worth the money? I heard Pro Armor is coming out with a new lighter molded sand tire(SXS BLOG). What about a cheap option like some 28" Sand Strippers or something like that? Let me know what your running.

·
Registered
43 Posts
28" 14 paddle drifters in rear and 29" STU tributes in front.
12 psi rear 10 psi front.
I am n/a with Alba sbd tip and dobeck ejk.
Does well in all but the deepest sand in Glamis. Just gotta remember to keep the rpm's up so the paddles can spin.
2wd 80% of the time. The front tributes help in the deep/soft/steep stuff.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I wouldn't waste your money on sand strippers, your better off running your stock bighorns honestly. I've had a lot of paddle combos over the years. IMO, Skats 26" 8 paddle & buffs up front would be my first pick for your set up. STU's dune very well and would be my second pick. Stock bighorns air'ed down 3rd pick.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I have a similar setup. I also ran skat extremes at LS for 3 seasons till I felt the paddles had worn down enough to warrant replacing. I tried out 28" CST's since they were cheap. While not perfect I'm not unhappy with them. I did trim the knobs off the front tires.

A comp cut STU would be nice, I've just never convicted myself the cost vs value is there for running in Waynoka.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've been running 29” sand slingers for a couple years at Waynoka. I did the 50/50 play cut after I did a turbo and kept breaking driveline parts. I should of play cut them a long time ago. It really woke up the top end pull.
I can't justify skats or Stu either. Never seen anyone do anything I can't (usually the opposite) and I could care less about a short drag race in a sxs.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have gytr cams, gytr full exhaust, gytr velocity stacks, lightweight flywheel, tune by dasa and I ran stu 28" #1 At glamis and they where spinning at launch when I would race. At olds it was no good! Was only going 30mph. I just got them comp cut to see if they get more bite. I thinks it's all about suspension out in the sand. U can have all the hp but without any springs or revalve u will have a horrible time bucking all over the place like me. That's my next mod is long travel with springs and revalve.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sand strippers 28x15x14 on 11" wide wheels 8 psi. Stroker motor, Elka stage 5. Superlight Flywheel (lightened a lot more). Sand Strippers for front as well. 2wd 100% of the time. Never had an issue and l don't take it easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts