Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up purchasing the SBD for my 2019. With the black Friday sale, I couldn't pass it up. Got it all installed in about 2.5 hours. Thought I could get some help from Alba or YouTube on installation on a '19 regarding the spacer, but neither could provide any instruction. Surprisingly, with my tire rack installed as well as my rear cargo box (both of which I kept on the vehicle, I simply removed the upper right hand cover (oil tank), as well as the lower oil tank cover. I was able to remove and install the new airbox spacer with only those items taken off.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Did you get your ECM flashed yet? If so how does it run? Others have complained about a high RPM miss with the Alba 2019 ECM flash on their SBD kit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, sending my ECU out tomorrow. Tonight was just the installation of everything.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the miss and called Alba about it. They insisted they've flashed many and even have a 2019 with several "runs" on it with no issues. I figured I'd take my chances and cross that bridge if it comes.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Nope, sending my ECU out tomorrow. Tonight was just the installation of everything.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the miss and called Alba about it. They insisted they've flashed many and even have a 2019 with several "runs" on it with no issues. I figured I'd take my chances and cross that bridge if it comes.
Yeah, I'm sending mine in tomorrow to get flashed also for the 19 to run with some spare parts laying around till I get the big boost engine put together.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sounds like a helluva plan Zilla! I am sure your spare parts rack is pretty deep. What "leftovers" are you installing on your new toy?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I got a Graves full system, a air box spacer and a set of velocity stacks, that's it. With a flash it should give me a bit more zip, till I'm ready to change out the engine. I thought about installing the turbo kit, but decided it will be much easier when I pull the cage to replace it and strip things down a bit to weld in my gusset kit and the other B.S. .

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sounds like a helluva plan.... You doing the boosted engine yourself?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got a Graves full system, a air box spacer and a set of velocity stacks, that's it. With a flash it should give me a bit more zip, till I'm ready to change out the engine. I thought about installing the turbo kit, but decided it will be much easier when I pull the cage to replace it and strip things down a bit to weld in my gusset kit and the other B.S. .
Rayscar gusset kit is really good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me know how your airbox spacer install goes. I was able to access all screws from either the underside by the right rear wheel or on top through the area the small panel was removed for the oil tank. I did have to loosen the bolt for the breather assembly in order to provide a bit of movement for the airbox to be slid up into place. I won't relish having to do it again to change the filter, but it's not that bad.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I installed the airbox spacer onto the airbox cover before shoving it up into place. Alba's instructions say to install the spacer first, then the airbox cover. I wanted to make sure I had a solid, visible seal before it disappeared into the machine.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Sounds like a helluva plan.... You doing the boosted engine yourself?
Ideally, NO ! I would very much so like for Alba to do a stage 5 build on this unit for me, however at this time they're not showing the stage 5 flash as being available. I need to call Nate and talk with him about having no problem being a guinea pig on the project, knowing full well "things can happen". At this point the spare engine is crated up and the new head is fully prepped and built, ready for blast off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts