Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shock Therapy is currently developing an RIS kit for the yamaha YXZ. The YXZ is the stiffest sxs ever even with adjusters softened up.
The projected completion is about 3 weeks. Theyve already been working on it for 3 weeks.
This is not a simple spring and shim rebuild as Yamaha had special valving and body made that requires replacement to custom build the shocks. Once completed this unit is going to have top notch suspension.

I've used Shock Therapy before on different sxs so I can't wait!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm thinking Yamaha has done a Great job putting out "sport" or "race ready" suspension!

The word is Nelson finished 3rd in a works race on OEM shocks and spring rates !

I'm sure these settings are WAY too stiff for trail riding duties tho.

Our xp1k rode like a Cadillac over the rough stuff at slow technical speeds. But it felt like a bowl of jello when the the trails opened up and the speeds were pushed. Almost everyone went faster on the xp900 until the suspension gurus figured out how to make them Stiffer and stronger. Killed the trail riding comfort tho.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I want the YXZ to feel like your RZR 1K on our rock-studded trails.

I usually re-valve the sole shock on my dirt bike, but they are designed for that access.

Having to do that times 4 on these tech unfriendly YXZ shocks sounds pricey.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I want the YXZ to feel like your RZR 1K on our rock-studded trails.

I usually re-valve the sole shock on my dirt bike, but they are designed for that access.

Having to do that times 4 on these tech unfriendly YXZ shocks sounds pricey.
Yeah, I bet it would be pricey. It almost sounds like you are going the opposite way of "sport" tho. Soft and comfortable equates to slow speed riding. Not to mention, slow speed "clutchless" riding. LoL

I bought a set of kings for a 2011 xp900 and they would adjust both ways (stiff and sodt) so you could get very close to each direction.
But with any OEM shocks I have had rebuilt, it is one way or the other. We always go towards the Stiffer side simply because the risk of a roll over in the fast trails outweighs the comfortable ride.

But, you have to keep in mind too, I have teen age boys. If it was just me and the wife driving them, then soft would be gooood. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Seams to me it is a bit early to be bailing on this factory shock and spring set up. With all the adjustment they have, there must be away to get a "compromise" setting that is acceptable.

What adjustments are real owners and shops trying?
Can you post what those are and what results? Has anyone talked to Fox? They should have some tips.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seams to me it is a bit early to be bailing on this factory shock and spring set up. With all the adjustment they have, there must be away to get a "compromise" setting that is acceptable.

What adjustments are real owners and shops trying?
Can you post what those are and what results? Has anyone talked to Fox? They should have some tips.
It's pretty simple really. On the softest settings they are still very harsh.
One blast down a desert road and you'll see that. Next step, respring. Back out two hours later and you realize it's revalved time.

The shock valve is not designed to be adjusted. So an entire new guts is needed.

Fox had nothing to do with the internals. They were designed by Yamaha.

The softer suspension is being tested in the SE desert... Defiently not to soft for high speed runs. The suspension is very very stiff for stock. The reason is to create more stability as directed by Yamaha attornys... Gun shy on losing stability.

The other machines RIS kits are around $680ish I think. So this won't be bad to get dialed

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's pretty simple really. On the softest settings they are still very harsh.
One blast down a desert road and you'll see that. Next step, respring. Back out two hours later and you realize it's revalved time.

The shock valve is not designed to be adjusted. So an entire new guts is needed.

Fox had nothing to do with the internals. They were designed by Yamaha.

The softer suspension is being tested in the SE desert... Defiently not to soft for high speed runs. The suspension is very very stiff for stock. The reason is to create more stability as directed by Yamaha attornys... Gun shy on losing stability.

The other machines RIS kits are around $680ish I think. So this won't be bad to get dialed
Thanks for the explanation, keep us posted on results. Suspension has a lot more to do with going fast than a "turbo Kit"

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I believe a true dual rate spring set up and revalve will allow these shocks to be adjustable to make both slow & high speed rides comfortable. These are great stock shocks which have both high & low speed adjustments. $680 is a super fair price if they are a one & done set up. My Mav shocks were $1,250 but that includes guarantee. So he does as many times as it takes to get it the way you like it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just got off phone with Tom from Fox. He said no one has asked about this issue yet and I was his first call.
They do not have any upgrades yet but may have some in the works. But also pointed out the adjustability in these shocks.
Since their name is on them, this is where I would start for improving or revamping them. Funny no one is.
Time will tell.
Keep the info coming

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got off phone with Tom from Fox. He said no one has asked about this issue yet and I was his first call.
They do not have any upgrades yet but may have some in the works. But also pointed out the adjustability in these shocks.

Time will tell.
Keep the info coming
I can assure you shock therapy has been working with fox.

There is no adjustabity when on the softest slowest setting with replaced springs it is still super hard. The adjusters are useless until the internals are rebuilt and replaced.

Then and only then can you bring the adjusters into play.

Don't quote on price. I'm sure it will be more as there is more that needs to be done. They probably won't be calling you this an RIS kit I guess .. Who knows

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm lowering the ride height on mine to see what that will do. More sag should help in one area but mess me up a bit on the other end of the spectrum. After my Oct trip I'm going to take the springs off this thing and see what the shocks are doing on a dyno. We shall see.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I can assure you shock therapy has been working with fox.

There is no adjustabity when on the softest slowest setting with replaced springs it is still super hard. The adjusters are useless until the internals are rebuilt and replaced.

Then and only then can you bring the adjusters into play.

Don't quote on price. I'm sure it will be more as there is more that needs to be done. They probably won't be calling you this an RIS kit I guess .. Who knows
Just a question, isn't the slowest setting referring to slow shock movement? Which would make it stiff, right?
And thanks for input.
What is your connection with Shock Therapy?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a question, isn't the slowest setting referring to slow shock movement? Which would make it stiff, right?
And thanks for input.
What is your connection with Shock Therapy?
You have 3 functions but we will talk about compression and rebound.

Compression damping (usually marked soft/firm) helps the suspension absorb bumps as the wheel moves upward in the stroke. Rebound damping (usually marked slow/fast) helps the suspension return to the proper position after a bump. Too rapid of a movement or too slow of a reaction will cause the YXX to handle poorly.

I have no affiliation with Shock Therapy. More then HP good suspension will make you go faster!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Or any 2 Wheeler 450 forum, or 250 forum, or Quad forum... No stock vehicle has great suspension designed for YOU
Yeah but this was supposed to be a sport utv out of the box. What's the point of bragging of how great the shocks are and all of the adjustments they have if you still have to dump 1k into them?? If you think shock therapy springs and revalve will be around $700 your crazy. They are stupid expensive compared to other brands

·
Registered
582 Posts
My springs were compressed over an inch above what the book calls "hard" Havent taken them down yet but will soon.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You have 3 functions but we will talk about compression and rebound.

Compression damping (usually marked soft/firm) helps the suspension absorb bumps as the wheel moves upward in the stroke. Rebound damping (usually marked slow/fast) helps the suspension return to the proper position after a bump. Too rapid of a movement or too slow of a reaction will cause the YXX to handle poorly.

I have no affiliation with Shock Therapy. More then HP good suspension will make you go faster!
Yeah but this was supposed to be a sport utv out of the box. What's the point of bragging of how great the shocks are and all of the adjustments they have if you still have to dump 1k into them?? If you think shock therapy springs and revalve will be around $700 your crazy. They are stupid expensive compared to other brands
The 2 wheelers aren't full on motocross bikes? Why did I spend $2k on my forks and shocks. The Ford raptor benefits from shock change as well... You can't make a unit work for everything.

You get what you pay for with suspension. Shock therapy is one of the best. You'll get people who will tell you you can just recalve.. That's not the case.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm lowering the ride height on mine to see what that will do. More sag should help in one area but mess me up a bit on the other end of the spectrum. After my Oct trip I'm going to take the springs off this thing and see what the shocks are doing on a dyno. We shall see.
Lowering is always the first thing I do, also wider offset wheels should help out.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts