Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the shortest aftermarket cage for the YXZ is? I am looking at the Cagewrx Super Shorty and the Toys for Big Boys cages. Overall height is an issue to load the YXZ in my toy hauler.

I need something at least 3-4'" lower than the stock cage/roof support.

Any info regarding highest point on the Cagewrx/Toys for Big Boys? How much lower than the highest point on the stock cage?

Thanks,
Bob

· Registered
385 Posts
i have Brick City Hybrid and it is way shorter than stock (not so much inside, but the high points especially if have factory folding windshield brackets). I am sure most aftermarket cages lower it quite a bit as the get rid of the center bar and plastic form. Keep in mind when doing your calculation what you plan to do for future tire size changes. That will come back to bite you too lol

· Registered
1,777 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: massina

· Registered
351 Posts
I cannot say enough good things about my experience with Moses, and Brick City Fab cages. I have the sport shorty, am 5'6"ish, and occasionally bump my helmet on the roof; keep that in mind, when ordering. This box is definitely checked, the quality is as professional as you can get, and nothing moved, in the crate they boxed it up in. Solid experience, a buddy is ordering one now, and I wouldn't hesitate to order another, if I needed it. These guys definitely have their shite together. Can't go wrong with Moses!

· Registered
2,373 Posts
Keep in mind Bob the most important factor is that the cage fits you, not the toy hauler. You need to have at least three inches from the top of your helmet to the closest tube or roof, this is not negotiable, you will break your neck if you do a trick and most of us end up doing a trick sooner or latter.
What is the door height on your hauler ? That factory hump is what screws a lot of guys so hopefully a cage that fits you will also make it through the door. If not I'm sure a shop could make you a higher door if you have the inside head room inside, that would be cheaper than a new rig. That's why on this last enclosed I went 7 foot finished floor to finished ceiling and a 6'-8" door.
massina, I agree with you, seems like Moses is doing some nice work out of his shop and I think I'll get with him to cage the 19 when I get it, actually I need to call him to see if the 19's and the current models have the same bolt up to get one ordered since he has a back-log and make sure he's willing to do a custom build so I have it in Sept.

· Registered
505 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Off-road racing Sand

I have Joker mfg in Sacramento, CA build all my cages. He builds whatever you want & his work is absolutely top notch. Joints & Tig welds are always perfect. I have built 4 sxs's now and all have his cages. I can't remember but I think this one is 4-5" lower than stock.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not the door height that is the problem. The trailer has two queen size bunk beds that descend on tracks. When stowed, the height of the lowest point on the lower one is 71". With stock 27" tires I had to strap down the suspension an inch or two but I now have 30" tires that increases the overall height of the machine/roof.

· Registered
180 Posts
A guy we ride with customized some tiny trailer wheels/tires to bolt up to his YXZ for trailer clearance. Cordless impact and a jack and he’s ready to go in 5 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior
Vehicle Transport Auto part Car Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

I drove to Kevin's shop, Toys for Big Boys, in Riverside, last Thursday and he and an assistant removed the original cage and installed the new one. It required a fork lift to remove the old cage. Kevin was super easy to deal with and added a "compartment" on top to mount a Rocky Mountain Tusk overhead storage bag. Very nice work, super guy to deal with. No charge to install the cage. I highly recommend Kevin.

· Registered
11 Posts
I did not have good experience just talking to bcf... they may have good cages but dude .. the attitude... We, customers, are and could be demanding especially when come to safety. So... they should understand that and reply politely when asked questions, not just like here is the picture of flipped yxz and that is why we are good... pay me money ... then stopped conversation all together..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
183 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire All-terrain vehicle

The Yamaha rear window fit the new cage great, just a little trimming. The Yamaha side windows took some trimming, sewing and some snaps installed and they look great. Better than the stock cage I think.

· Registered
183 Posts
View attachment 110098
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire All-terrain vehicle

The Yamaha rear window fit the new cage great, just a little trimming. The Yamaha side windows took some trimming, sewing and some snaps installed and they look great. Better than the stock cage I think.

Ooops

1 - 20 of 21 Posts