Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's always debates on why spend the extra on quality sand tires, Skats or Stus at that.... At $2200 for my Skat tires and wheels it was a hard pill to swallow right out of the dealer knowing nothing about Sand.... (I was persuaded by those with decades of experience).

Reducing rotational mass equals less drivetrain loss, less stress on your machine, and more power to the ground, that much I did know.

What I didn't know was these sand tires sciences lol

Better flotation with the tire type itself in the sand and better performance with proper type and amount of paddles.

Facts I can also confirm after two seasons.
- Skats do not puncture as easy as people make it seem, do not shy away because of the rumors.... and at that, they can be plugged. (My puncture was from an accident) (Picture attached).

-- They do not lose air, mine hold air the whole season. 2 seasons now.
- Nothing floats and rides like a Skat. 馃お馃馃徏

Skats with skat wheel inflated to 10psi
Front 31 lbs
Back 33 lbs
(30x11x14 - 30x12.5x14)
(Full Buff 10 paddle staggered Extreme, Mohawk Front)

Big Horn OEM Beadlocks inflated to 12 psi
Front 45 lbs
Back 52 lbs
View attachment 122324
View attachment 122325
View attachment 122323
View attachment 122322

Plugged Skats holding perfect.
View attachment 122326
View attachment 122327

Registered
2020 ss
My first 2 trips to the dunes with the yxz were on the big horns. I was actually impressed with how well they did. BUT, there were a few hills that I couldn鈥檛 get up (China wall in Glamis) or I had to redo and really get a run at it. I run Skats in rear and ss360 up front and there is no dune I can鈥檛 up and over now, love them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@PhuckPhoenix nice! I see some run that same combo with some of it shaved or buffed. 馃馃徏

Also some only leaving the Mohawk of ss360. I can def see the ss360 fronts helping with the bigger softer dune transitions and climbs (China Wall)... Those monster dunes behind China Wall are dangerously soft, mandatory 4wd.

I like the buff Mohawk skat because it provides just enough steering and the full buff flattens the sand for the rear, especially in the heavy trafficked ruts, feel more control.

I run in 4wd. I can still slide around quite good with the staggered rears unless I'm at full throttle lol..

I have felt no benefit in 2wd so far in the sand, maybe some easier steering obviously... But like too easy steering lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts