Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for after market skid plates? Every now and then the trails I ride on have rocks that I have to go over. The Wolverine had a full steel welded on skid plate so this was not an issue. The YXZ has a pretty terrible factory skid plate. I am looking at Trail Armor. Trail Armor Yamaha YXZ 1000R Full Skids with Integrated Sliders 2016 - 2019

Any thoughts? Has anyone here installed those or something similar?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh. As as side thought if you view the installation video (no sound btw) how is that YXZ held up on its side?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really? It's very thin. Doesn't seem to provide much protection for large rocks. I don't want to damage anything. Going from the Wolverine with the full steel welded plate underneath my confidence level with this YXZ skid plate is not there yet.

I have the factory utv and it’s been great for over 3,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just noticed the installation instructions. It says....To ease installation, gently tip vehicle onto its side and support securely with a safety stand. LOL I guess the safety stand comes in the kit. :ROFLMAO:

Capture.JPG

Oh. As as side thought if you view the installation video (no sound btw) how is that YXZ held up on its side?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Really? It's very thin. Doesn't seem to provide much protection for large rocks. I don't want to damage anything. Going from the Wolverine with the full steel welded plate underneath my confidence level with this YXZ skid plate is not there yet.
Factory utv is the brand I have. Like the trail armor you are looking at. Not the factory skid plates.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohhhhhh! :LOL: I misunderstood. I had a glimmer of hope that you were using the factory skid plates for 3000 miles and no issue. Hmmmmm. Looks like the next purchase will be skid plates. Did you have a convenient side stand to assist the install? (like Trail Armor recommends) ;)

Factory utv is the brand I have. Like the trail armor you are looking at. Not the factory skid plates.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Lmao! I did not. They came with good directions if I remember right it wasn’t a bad install did take some time but they have been great. You will need a jack to put the front center piece on tho.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The stock skid plates have been pretty effective for several thousand miles now. I am not bashing them regularly into rock shelfs, although occasionally it happens, but they get regularly impacted with rocks. They show the gouges and scrapes, but have done surprisingly well. They are slippery and I think that helps a lot. You may lose an occasional rear skid plate section, but it is a cheap part to replace.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the trail armor and have been really pleased with it. I ride Tennessee areas and there are a lot of rocks. So far it have performed great. I did have to do some retightening after the first ride. This is how I installed.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
A tip for installing the front section of the factory Utv skid that I found effective is to run my winch rope under car and attach to the rear then place a piece of 2x4 between rope and skid . This will smash the skid In place so you can get those front forward bolts in . Assuming you have a winch . PS . Watch your fingers !!! LOL

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I'll also vote Factory UTV skid, very durable skid plate. It comes in two thicknesses, 3/8 and 1/2 inch, I have the 3/8 and really can't imagine needing the 1/2" unless your a rock bounce'in nut or run the KOH race. The material is heavy and the 3/8" will save you some weight.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The factory UTV installs over the stock front skid and the others do not . Take a look at your stock skid and you will see that its not flat. With it removed you will crate a void for mud . I liked the idea of keeping the stock one on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmmmm...the 3/8" is roughly the same price as the 1/2" Trail Armor. I wonder why that is?

I'll also vote Factory UTV skid, very durable skid plate. It comes in two thicknesses, 3/8 and 1/2 inch, I have the 3/8 and really can't imagine needing the 1/2" unless your a rock bounce'in nut or run the KOH race. The material is heavy and the 3/8" will save you some weight.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good point! I like that idea as well.

The factory UTV installs over the stock front skid and the others do not . Take a look at your stock skid and you will see that its not flat. With it removed you will crate a void for mud . I liked the idea of keeping the stock one on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's awesome! Now I feel the need to buy a forklift though! LOL Is it true the trail armor requires self tappers?

I have the trail armor and have been really pleased with it. I ride Tennessee areas and there are a lot of rocks. So far it have performed great. I did have to do some retightening after the first ride. This is how I installed.
View attachment 115702

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice to hear from someone who still uses the factory skids. I will be replacing mine but at least I can have some hope that they will hold up until I do.

The stock skid plates have been pretty effective for several thousand miles now. I am not bashing them regularly into rock shelfs, although occasionally it happens, but they get regularly impacted with rocks. They show the gouges and scrapes, but have done surprisingly well. They are slippery and I think that helps a lot. You may lose an occasional rear skid plate section, but it is a cheap part to replace.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought a 3/8 poly skid plate from super ATV over a year ago. very poor design, didn’t hold up well to the desert terrain and rocks, paid way too much and was disappointed, even lost the rear plate a few times. I ditched it and went with the ricochet aluminum skid plate. It was cheaper, stronger, and the hardware included is better. I wish i went this route to begin with.

I also just bought factory UTV skid plate arms for my new Cognito long travel kit and i can say that Factory UTV products look good and well thought out vs other brands out there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have roughly 3,000 miles on a stock skid plate, riding in the Arizona Desert and it has been hit by quite a few large rocks, ledges, etc. It has held up really well. I recently bought a stock replacement for $65 as it is starting to show a bit of wear. Not changing yet, but want to be ready. Also, the rear skid plate for the 1017 SS SE is a tougher design than the stock one, and it too is pretty cheap.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts