Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
I folded a rear cross member with the stock skid with less than 0.5 mile on the odometer and it was on the access road to the trails lol. And I was just rolling, no speed.
There has to be a little more to that story...… if you don't mind sharing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
There has to be a little more to that story...… if you don't mind sharing.
I wish there was. Just a little washed out rocky spot headed to the real trails. It looked like there was a hole in the skid right at the crossmember and i guess the rock stuck up through that and grabbed the crossmember. I was only rolling but it stopped me when it hung. Portapower and a 1/2" skid fixed that. '19 model.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I did the same thing but not near as bad . After the FUTV skids I have hit so hard I was afraid to look . When I did look there was nothing other than scratches . The skids are Pretty dam tough .

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Glad you were able to fix it. I do have some dings in crossmembers, but nothing like that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's awesome! Now I feel the need to buy a forklift though! LOL Is it true the trail armor requires self tappers?
They do require self tapers but just for 2 spots on the rear. I installed one of them and just left the other out. So far so good

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I installed Rivnut inserts in the locations where the Self tapers go and know use a threaded bolt like the other locations

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow! If that's not a reason to replace the factory skid I don't know what is. Also I'm a little concerned about the corrosion showing on your under body. Is that common for this machine? You said this is a 2019. Seems a bit premature for that age. If that's something I can look forward to I may have to rustproof the under body before installing new skid.

I wish there was. Just a little washed out rocky spot headed to the real trails. It looked like there was a hole in the skid right at the crossmember and i guess the rock stuck up through that and grabbed the crossmember. I was only rolling but it stopped me when it hung. Portapower and a 1/2" skid fixed that. '19 model.

View attachment 115707

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok. Thanks. Good to know. I see the instructions for the Factory UTV requires 4 self tappers. Two for the front and two for the back. The Trail Armor website doesn't show this.

They do require self tapers but just for 2 spots on the rear. I installed one of them and just left the other out. So far so good

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That's definitely the best way to do that. Problem with self tappers is they work wonderfully initially but over time when removing the skid for various reasons they will strip and be rendered useless. Rivnuts are a great idea for this.

I installed Rivnut inserts in the locations where the Self tapers go and know use a threaded bolt like the other locations

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for the heads up! I had narrowed the decision down to Factory UTV and Trail Armor and now I'm considering Ricochet Aluminum. :unsure:

I bought a 3/8 poly skid plate from super ATV over a year ago. very poor design, didn’t hold up well to the desert terrain and rocks, paid way too much and was disappointed, even lost the rear plate a few times. I ditched it and went with the ricochet aluminum skid plate. It was cheaper, stronger, and the hardware included is better. I wish i went this route to begin with.

I also just bought factory UTV skid plate arms for my new Cognito long travel kit and i can say that Factory UTV products look good and well thought out vs other brands out there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Awesome informative video talking about benefits of aluminum and UHMW for anyone interested.

Thanks for the heads up! I had narrowed the decision down to Factory UTV and Trail Armor and now I'm considering Ricochet Aluminum. :unsure:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wow! If that's not a reason to replace the factory skid I don't know what is. Also I'm a little concerned about the corrosion showing on your under body. Is that common for this machine? You said this is a 2019. Seems a bit premature for that age. If that's something I can look forward to I may have to rustproof the under body before installing new skid.
That is all mud.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any recommendations for after market skid plates? Every now and then the trails I ride on have rocks that I have to go over. The Wolverine had a full steel welded on skid plate so this was not an issue. The YXZ has a pretty terrible factory skid plate. I am looking at Trail Armor. Trail Armor Yamaha YXZ 1000R Full Skids with Integrated Sliders 2016 - 2019

Any thoughts? Has anyone here installed those or something similar?
I have the Factory UTV 3/8” love it! Over 3000 miles no issues, doesn’t dent or get hung up slides right off rocks and super solid. Weller Racing uses them on there race cars and came highly recommended. I did the install by myself without lifting or tilting the car in one evening. Word of caution, the installation instructions suck.
Cbrooks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Yep. That is what I have decided on as well. :)

I have the Factory UTV 3/8” love it! Over 3000 miles no issues, doesn’t dent or get hung up slides right off rocks and super solid. Weller Racing uses them on there race cars and came highly recommended. I did the install by myself without lifting or tilting the car in one evening. Word of caution, the installation instructions suck.
Cbrooks

·
Registered
505 Posts
My vote is for Factory UTV 3/8" skids. I've ran their skids on 4 different SXS's in both 3/8" & 1/2" thicknesses with zero issues. Their skids slide right over the rocks, even the nasty stuff where aluminum skids tend to gouge and drag in the rocks. Aluminum skids can crack & seem to be more prone to rattles & squeaks. I've had aluminum skids in the past and only run UHMW now. Anything is better than the stock crap thou.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any recommendations for after market skid plates? Every now and then the trails I ride on have rocks that I have to go over. The Wolverine had a full steel welded on skid plate so this was not an issue. The YXZ has a pretty terrible factory skid plate. I am looking at Trail Armor. Trail Armor Yamaha YXZ 1000R Full Skids with Integrated Sliders 2016 - 2019

Any thoughts? Has anyone here installed those or something similar?
I have Trail Armor and am very satisficed. The installation is a bit difficult due to turning the YXZ on it side but it is the best way to do it. I did not care for the sheet metal screws for the installation on the rear frame rails so I used weld nuts instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My factory skids lasted about 4 days of trail use in the Mojave desert. I installed the 3/8" Trail Armor skids and they are fantastic.

To install, I lifted the whole car about a foot by putting RV leveling blocks under all four tires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I haven't seen 3/8" Trail Armor available. There is only 1/2" on their website. Maybe it's not available anymore. :unsure:

My factory skids lasted about 4 days of trail use in the Mojave desert. I installed the 3/8" Trail Armor skids and they are fantastic.

To install, I lifted the whole car about a foot by putting RV leveling blocks under all four tires.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts