Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a trip to Dumont dunes coming up and want to have a few spare parts. What company makes a good budget spare CV and tie rods? Also how is everyone mounting your spare CV? To the cage?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi, I have a trip to Dumont dunes coming up and want to have a few spare parts. What company makes a good budget spare CV and tie rods? Also how is everyone mounting your spare CV? To the cage?
I HAVE GONE ON EIGHT TRIPS THAT HAVE BEEN 400-500 MILES THROUGH UTAH AND NEVER NEEDED TO CHANGE A CV IF YOU WANT TO BE PREPARED THROW ONE IN YOUR TRAILER BUT YOU COULD ALWAYS LIMP BACK TO CAMP DUMONT ISNT THAT SPREAD OUT THAT YOU COULDNT MAKE IT BACK. BUT THE YXZ IS VERY WELL BUILT OVERALL.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Pretty sure UTV inc. is the Co. that carries a mount to carry a full axle shaft. One full front and a rear should keep you out of trouble if your in deep, they just mount to the cage, 1.75" dia.

As far as tie-rods, just bite the bullet and get a set of good HD tie-rods from Weller, Assualt inds. or a few others that don't come to mind right off. Mount the HD's on your rig and carry your spare OEM's, likely you won't need them, they'll set you back about $300 for a set, but worth it vs having to leave your rig to get what you need to get up and driving again. Sad to say but you can count on a crew of dirt bags just looking for such a situation, what they can't steal, they'll destroy. We had such a crew last week that hit two units, the one was only sitting two hours, all tools, winch and bumper, fire extinguishers and some lights all stolen, then kicked out the front windshield.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It's a Yamaha. Spare parts will be used for other brands. How in the heck do you change a cv-axle out in the sand. Yamaha's aren't as easy as a PS

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Pretty sure UTV inc. is the Co. that carries a mount to carry a full axle shaft. One full front and a rear should keep you out of trouble if your in deep, they just mount to the cage, 1.75" dia.

As far as tie-rods, just bite the bullet and get a set of good HD tie-rods from Weller, Assualt inds. or a few others that don't come to mind right off. Mount the HD's on your rig and carry your spare OEM's, likely you won't need them, they'll set you back about $300 for a set, but worth it vs having to leave your rig to get what you need to get up and driving again. Sad to say but you can count on a crew of dirt bags just looking for such a situation, what they can't steal, they'll destroy. We had such a crew last week that hit two units, the one was only sitting two hours, all tools, winch and bumper, fire extinguishers and some lights all stolen, then kicked out the front windshield.
Zilla, You need a new riding area. That's terrible

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Wow, where'd that happen?
Out by my farm, I have about 100 acs. that borders thousands of acers of coal co. property. We have a 57 mile loop to run with hundreds of miles of side trails off the Jeep and truck friendly (lol) main loop. It's a great place, just every once in awhile you get some asshole punks that try this shit, I see on FB they already found out who it was, oh boy. The last one that was up to this crap, I seen him get KO'ed three different times before he moved to IL . Buckeye justice is a bitch.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Rocky mount atv makes a cv boot repair kit that you could actually change on the trail and it's fairly cheap. Its not the axel just the cv. I have an extra one for any one of my CVs just in case. I know everyone says it wont happen but on the chance it does you'll be ready. I carry sooooo much stuff with me just in case.

·
Registered
104 Posts

That sucks about stuff being stolen. When I was four wheeling a lot we often had to leave cars in the woods. I carried an abandon kit under the seat. I had a half dozen empty beer cans to spread around the rig and a box of new shotgun shells and a bag of empty ones. I would spread the empty ones all around the car and than put the new box tipped over on the hood. We would leave the doors open and the country music on full blast. We would return days later sometimes to a dead battery and recover the rig, no one ever messed with a rig with drunk guys toting shotguns near by.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts