Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 YXZ 1000R SS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to pick a good spare tire carrier. I've read other posts on this topic but didn't see some of my specific questions addressed, so here goes. Related to a 2019 YXZ with the Yamaha rear cargo box.

1) Yamaha OEM Spare Tire Carrier $500
Question: My license plate is currently mounted to the rear cargo box so I'd need to find another spot. Where do folks mount their license plate with this tire carrier?
YXZ1000R/SS Spare Tire Mount

2) Factory UTV $270
Question: Can the lid on the cargo box still open? I tried emailing the company but no reply.
Yamaha YXZ 1000 Dual Clamp Spare Tire Mount - Factory UTV -

3) AFX Motorsports $190
Same question about lid opening. Looks like the shelf on this model could be handy for other stuff..
Rack w/Spare Tire Carrier Kit for Yamaha YXZ 2016-2021

4) FastLab $400
Question: Website states: "Requires minor trimming of bed section" and "The customer is required to install the supplied wheel studs. The recommended method is to use a press." That's concerning and I'm no mechanic. Is this a do it yourself job?
FASTLAB YAMAHA YXZ Rear Spare Tire Carrier

5) Jack- what are folks using and where do you store it?

6) Lastly, any suggestions for the actual spare wheel/tire? I'm running the stock wheels/tires at this point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FastLab all the way. I used a dremel tool to trim the bed, not difficult. They give detailed instuctions that are easy to follow. I also have a Yamaha cargo box and it’s still easily accessible. An added benefit of their tire carrier is it seems to balance the car out with the little extra weight in the back of the car.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm going with the factory Yamaha. Its a nice piece, looks good, and the biggest reason it will fit in toyhauler because it doesn't stick out too far like the Fastlab. I like the Fastlab for function as it helps transfer weight the best and its well built, but it adds the most length and looks funny.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Factory will work with most aftermarket cages if the rear bolts to the factory mounting points. Also if you don't have a rear bumper intergraded into the cage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trying to pick a good spare tire carrier. I've read other posts on this topic but didn't see some of my specific questions addressed, so here goes. Related to a 2019 YXZ with the Yamaha rear cargo box.

1) Yamaha OEM Spare Tire Carrier $500
Question: My license plate is currently mounted to the rear cargo box so I'd need to find another spot. Where do folks mount their license plate with this tire carrier?
YXZ1000R/SS Spare Tire Mount

2) Factory UTV $270
Question: Can the lid on the cargo box still open? I tried emailing the company but no reply.
Yamaha YXZ 1000 Dual Clamp Spare Tire Mount - Factory UTV -

3) AFX Motorsports $190
Same question about lid opening. Looks like the shelf on this model could be handy for other stuff..
Rack w/Spare Tire Carrier Kit for Yamaha YXZ 2016-2021

4) FastLab $400
Question: Website states: "Requires minor trimming of bed section" and "The customer is required to install the supplied wheel studs. The recommended method is to use a press." That's concerning and I'm no mechanic. Is this a do it yourself job?
FASTLAB YAMAHA YXZ Rear Spare Tire Carrier

5) Jack- what are folks using and where do you store it?

6) Lastly, any suggestions for the actual spare wheel/tire? I'm running the stock wheels/tires at this point.
I emailed Factory UTV with the same exact question several months back, they responded instantly with a video showing the lid clearance. I actually suggested they put it on the website, and they did and it is still there. I ended up going with this mount as I did not want another hunk hanging off the back of my machine and I liked its simplicity. I am hoping the lid still opens enough (seems it will per the video) to be mostly functional upon install.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I really like the factory tire carrier, very sturdy. Have over 6000 miles with it on. I went to Yamaha of cucamonga and carrier was $399. Also if you shop Chapparal and check your prices in check-out they usually give you a discount that make prices worth shopping.
534B75E1-BB83-4FEC-ADC7-4B5E8ED25BB4.jpeg

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry I bought the whole set for a front for my self. I have one front and one rear that I would be will to sell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts