Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have removed the spark arrestor on my yxz ss and I was wondering if there is anything to be worried about in the health of the engine and if removing the spark arrestor makes the engine run leaner and if that is a concern, I have noticed a difference in overall pickup of the engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do a quick search and you will find many comments on why not to run the yxz without the spark arrestor without having the ECU tuned. The tune is extremely lean from the factory and running with the exhaust "uncorked" could cause damage to the motor. You will want the have the ECU flashed for exhaust mods. Its not a good idea to run without some type of spark arrestor due to the fire risk. I highly suggest getting the ECU properly tuned to the mods you make. It makes everything work better IMO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you are like me you cant go out buy a full on kit you just want some thing more. The problem is that Yamaha had to make these emissions complaint so these run real lean to light off the catalytic converter. The spark arrestor is also restrictive to help light off the cat. So what I did was save up to get a complete kit with tune which has a lot of advantages like lower cooling temps by turning the fans on earlier an change the time of the shift and removing the 5th gear revlimiter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts