Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we took our YXZ out to a good testing loop here in AZ and spent all morning driving the snot out of it and seeing just how much our new suspension and bigger wheels/tires could take. We put about 75 race pace miles on it, and it just continues to make us happy.

The kit we have on it was designed for all around desert/dune riding. It's a plus 3.5" wider, without really extending the wheelbase at all (this is our WR Edition kit that we got together with LSR and had made that was on display at the sand shows). We paired it with 30" tires because we know that a lot of consumers will want to run the bigger tires, and we wanted to see how everything would handle the extra leverage ratios and rotating mass.

We are using the factory FOX 2.5's with the factory springs. We adjusted the ride height a bit and tweaked the shock settings a bit, until we found a setting that worked the best for the terrain we were running around in. That terrain was desert trails/roads with a lot of g-outs, some whoops, some jagged rock and wash sections, some slower speed twisty stuff through the cholla (ouch), and some high speed dirt road stuff.

My immediate impression when heading out for my first lap was that I could feel the 30" tires, but as soon as I hit the trail, I was happy they were there. It's no secret that a bigger tire will smooth out terrain, and the mix between the 30's and the long travel suspension was fantastic. The closest I can compare this to is a Trophy Lite truck's suspension - it surprised me continously on what it could take. There were some g-outs and rain cutouts that I wanted to slow down for and pussy foot through, but Jason just told me to hammer down, and I did......and it soaked everything up so well it was crazy. I couldn't even FEEL about 70% of what we were driving through. We bottomed out one time, at about 45 mph, but if I had taken it a bit faster the YXZ would have skipped right over it. The other times, I would brace for it, and it would never come....the ride on this machine is just that good.

When desert racing or dune riding, my goal is to run in the highest gear possible, at the lowest RPM possible, to achieve the highest speed that I want to run at (this is great for longevity). Having a manual transmission allows this to happen, and the YXZ transmission is amazing. AMAZING. Yes, you can shift without using the clutch, and you can do it quickly and precisely thanks to its short little throw. As fast as you can lift off the gas and get back on it is how fast you can shift. You just have to be in the right RPM range, which is pretty easy to do with this machine. It can be deceptive if you aren't used to it, because you can be hauling ass at 70mph, but it doesn't SOUND like it if you are in a lower RPM range. You can also wring its neck and run around at 10,000 RPM, and still go the same speed....but that's never my goal in the desert.

For the low speed twisties, the YXZ is nimble and fun, and in two-wheel drive I still like to drive with the throttle. The 30"s still break traction, but it's bit harder to do with the larger tire......much easier with the stock tires that come with it.

No, we didn't do any low speed rock-crawling technical stuff on this run.....but I'd like to go to another testing place I know of that has a bit of that as well the next time we go out. I'd also like to compare the long-travel stuff to totally stock on the same testing loop on the same day and take some notes. I'd like to play around with some more tire sizes, too.....

So, in a nutshell, testing went great! We came back each lap amazed at what the YXZ can handle, and can't wait to get it back out and try some more stuff!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Good to hear. Are you guys using a piggy back fuel controller or flashing the ECU for the tuning?

Also, could you post the video's here? I know some don't have facebook to see the ones there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice. Which 30's did you run, are they on stock wheels, any concern with the smallish 4/110 hub? Thx.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Found the tire and wheel info.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
That terrain was desert trails/roads with a lot of g-outs, some whoops, some jagged rock and wash sections, some slower speed twisty stuff through the cholla (ouch), and some high speed dirt road stuff.
And *that* is central Arizona.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Great write up, Again this YXZ keeps sounding better n better. Yes cannot wait to hear what u guys think about it crawling n going over nice size rocks, n steep hills without a running start. Thanks for all ur info n testing!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice looking 15" and the bfg mt replicas. Nice looking combo, concerned about the hubs though, a heavier tire with massive hp, you'd think an increase in hub size would be needed. Maybe I'm looking into it too much. 10mm studs too, gimme 12mm pls.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to write the great review :cool: :cool::cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
good write up...is the new lsr made out of chromoly or mild steel tubing? and what was gregs reason for not trying to get more wheelbase out of the car? Its too short imho, wish he could have stretch it a tad or two? Glad he made it with the oem shocks to keep the costs down....are you folks going to make a shorter more efficent airbox/air cleaner for the yxz and a full pipe and programmer kit package? thanks,cam

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
good write up...is the new lsr made out of chromoly or mild steel tubing? and what was gregs reason for not trying to get more wheelbase out of the car? Its too short imho, wish he could have stretch it a tad or two? Glad he made it with the oem shocks to keep the costs down....are you folks going to make a shorter more efficent airbox/air cleaner for the yxz and a full pipe and programmer kit package? thanks,cam
I believe they already have the full pipe set up. It has a header pipe and dual DMC muffler cans.
I was told the LT kit is chromoly. This LT kit is weller's version but I believe LSR said they may make some changes to it for their version.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to hear. Are you guys using a piggy back fuel controller or flashing the ECU for the tuning?

Also, could you post the video's here? I know some don't have facebook to see the ones there.
We are currently using a fuel controller but are working on an ECU reflash......

Nice. Which 30's did you run, are they on stock wheels, any concern with the smallish 4/110 hub? Thx.
We ran 30" Arisun After Shocks with a 15" RaceLine Mamba beadlock......but I'd like to play around with some tire and wheel sizes, too.

Our kit (the WR Edition arms that we have on the YXZ now) is chromoly and tig welded.....we felt the YXZ is long enough as it is for the handling we are looking to get out of it. There is no reason to replace the OEM shocks - they literally are probably the best on the market and going with a different shock would be a downgrade. We have a ton of experience with these shocks and I personally wouldn't run anything else.......

We dyno'd our full system with and without the factory airbox/filter and we got better power WITH the OEM setup than without. So I'm not sure how much of an improvement there is to be had with a different intake design....Im sure we will mess with it some more, but right now it is doing a good job with the factory motor.

And yes, we already have our full pipe system going into production.......programmer will follow. :)

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe they already have the full pipe set up. It has a header pipe and dual DMC muffler cans.
I was told the LT kit is chromoly. This LT kit is weller's version but I believe LSR said they may make some changes to it for their version.
Yes, this is our WR Edition kit.....that we worked with LSR to produce. We want to fully test this kit before it goes to the consumer, so we are getting some time on it to see if we need to tweak it at all......

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here is a clip I figured out how to post - haha!

[video]https://www.facebook.com/Wellerracingllc/videos/684987038302613/[/video]
Oh my! That thing looks & sounds bada$$! Thank you for posting that and any other videos will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Machine looks & sounds awesome Corry. Trailer is on truck waiting for call to get mine... The only thing I'm not sold on is a Yamaha engineer told me it has same gearing front & rear. Do you lose steering control in 4X4 when on gas hard & cornering on loose surfaces? I ice race with limited stud count. Our summer around here is a slippery swamp. My RZR was junk, but in AWD it had RWD car control with more digging out of corners. We can't get Wildcats to be competitive on ice regardless of HP because of the 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
286 Posts
very nice write up corry all good info and just what i told them in another post about revalveing that the long travel would fix the tight suspension and nice to meet you and jason at ssss

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Here is a clip I figured out how to post - haha!

[video]https://www.facebook.com/Wellerracingllc/videos/684987038302613/[/video]
we need to see more of that stuff. lol

I love the sound of this exhaust.
This car looks and sounds like a real desert car, not just a golf cart on steriods anymore!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts