Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These have to be the loudest brakes ever. They squeak non stop. It drives me crazy. I've owned several other SXS's and none of them squeaked like my YXZ. What can be done to solve this?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have 900+ miles. They have squeaked since the first time I took it out.
From what i understand, it is a yamaha thing and can be fixed with non oem brake pads. I have not changed mine yet so I am not saying 100% will fix the problem but if it bothers you it is the first thing I would try.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine squeak too. I can see how it will get very annoying.

·
Registered
681 Posts
BTW it's cheap too…and available locally I'm sure. If someone tries it (or something similar) please let us know what happens.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've used that stuff on cars, works good. Don't make the mistake of putting it on the brake surface of your pads. It does NOT touch the rotor, it goes on the back side of your pads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 1600 miles on mine. I finally had enough of the low speed squeaking. I took all of the pads apart, cleaned them all up really good with Brakeclean, then applied this Disc Brake Quiet to the back of the pads and ears of the pads and the squeaking went away completely. I've only driven it around the neighborhood, so I'm not sure if it will come back after some good hard driving, but it was worth the shot to me. It doesn't take much time. If this doesn't work, I'll probably go with some EBCs.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Mine used to squeek like crazy and drove me nuts. Then suddenly, they just stop squeeking, I assumed it was them finally getting broke in. That was around 550 miles though and you seem to be well past that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
After the first ride until now(890mi) mine have squeaked. I do wonder if its the pad trapping little rocks sand etc in between int and the solid rotor. Or the back side of the bad against the caliper.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
After the first ride until now(890mi) mine have squeaked. I do wonder if its the pad trapping little rocks sand etc in between int and the solid rotor. Or the back side of the bad against the caliper.
Just wondering if anyone has tried the new drilled brake rotors from Packard racing yet? I've had my eyes on those. Bet they would really help stop the squeaking issues.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has tried the new drilled brake rotors from Packard racing yet? I've had my eyes on those. Bet they would really help stop the squeaking issues.
$250 for all 4, thought about it but haven't yet.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
after 4200 miles, not much squeak. However, squeaky brakes are vintage Yamaha IMO. I wash my YXZ often, including the brake area. It seems to work for me most of the time.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yes, mine squeak terribly when coming to a stop. It just makes it sound more like a race car.
My old Maverick did this too. Still hate the noise! Makes it sound cheap and neglected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think you guys got what you purchased. It's a high performance race machine. Brakes make noise, straight cut gears make noise, pedals don't align even. Everything made to performe. Go have fun haul a$$. Drive, race, enjoy, help tow guys out with broken belts. That's what YXZ is for. It's not a Honda Civic

·
Registered
400 Posts
after 4200 miles, not much squeak. However, squeaky brakes are vintage Yamaha IMO. I wash my YXZ often, including the brake area. It seems to work for me most of the time.
I agree with rsessions, When I wash my machine I always hit around the brake area real good and that usually takes care of it for a while.

Reactions: Dtfm33
1 - 20 of 22 Posts